Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
survivorinohio
Gunsmoke dealt with rape and pregnancy?
February 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I sure do not remember this episode while I was growing up and I was very surprised to see it on tv land today.  No i dont generally watch Gunsmoke as an adult, I did see a lot of it as I was growing up though,.

Pretty racy topic for that show in my opinion.  Thoughts?

Replies

• TruthSeeker.
    February 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM

No idea what this show is or about, but here is a bump for ya:)

• Euphoric
    February 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I've never seen it.

• survivorinohio
    February 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

No idea what this show is or about, but here is a bump for ya:)

Lol  The term get out of Dodge was born of the show Gunsmoke .  I guess it dates me, sigh.

• LindaClement
    February 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I never watched it... I'm not surprised, though --there was a lot of adult themes in tv before Disney got a channel.

• survivorinohio
    February 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Gunsmoke was a western that ran from 1955-1975 Starring James Arness as Marshall Dillon the lawman of Dodge:)  Festus was the town drunk and Miss Kitty was the saloon owner (madam but that was very understated)

• stormcris
    February 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM

No it wasn't. In my opinion older movies and tv shows were much better at addressing such issues. 

There was a story not too long ago about breaking the abortion taboo in a movie and all I could think is this was done ages ago and more than once.

• survivorinohio
    February 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Quoting stormcris:

No it wasn't. In my opinion older movies and tv shows were much better at addressing such issues. 

There was a story not too long ago about breaking the abortion taboo in a movie and all I could think is this was done ages ago and more than once.

There is truth to that.  I know Little House dealt with sexual abuse but it was very subtle.  I guess I havent watched Gunsmoke much as an adult.

I recently watched babydoll, an oscar winner fron 56 I think that was really heavy with sexual inuendo.

• pamelax3
    February 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I agree! Many of today's issue where discussed on t.v. many years ago. I remember the after school special dealing with teen pregnancy it was back in the late 70's there was no fluff on the outcome it was just straight facts  

Quoting stormcris:

• Euphoric
    February 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I believe it was the longest running drama of all times. (Not certain if that's correct)

Quoting survivorinohio:

Gunsmoke was a western that ran from 1955-1975 Starring James Arness as Marshall Dillon the lawman of Dodge:)  Festus was the town drunk and Miss Kitty was the saloon owner (madam but that was very understated)

• eema.gray
    February 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Quincy M.E. is another old show that dealt with tons of social issues in quite direct ways.  If there's a social issue involved, you just KNOW that at some point, he's goint to talk with an expert, who runs a clinic, who is passionately speaking about what a terrible injustice is being done to X Y or Z group whether that be airplane safety or battered women or some other cause.  For its time period, it's actually pretty heavy handed on the social messages.  :-)

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts