Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
IhartU
Grandmother threw rowdy kids from grandson's sleepover out into the 23 degree weather at 4:30 AM
by IhartU
February 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Connecticut grandmother who threw rowdy kids from grandson's sleepover is arrested

Barbara Aiello, 71, was charged with two counts of risk of injury to a minor after booting the boys, ages 10 and 11, from her Middletown home early Sunday. Police said it was 4:30 in the morning and the temperature outside was 23 degrees. Aiello claimed she didn't realize how late it was when she kicked them out.

Comments (31)

By / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, February 5, 2013, 9:41 AM

Grandmother arrested after ending rowdy sleepover.

NBC Connecticut

Barbara Aiello, 71, is scheduled to go to court Feb. 11 on a charge of risking injury to minors after she threw out two adolescent boys from her Middletown, Conn., home early Sunday.

A Connecticut grandma - fed up with her grandson's boisterous sleepover party - was thrown in jail after she booted two young boys from her home.

Police say Barbara Aiello, of Middletown, endangered the boys' lives when she kicked them out around 4:30 a.m. Sunday and into the cold. The 71-year-old was charged with two counts of risk of injury to a minor and is set to appear in court Monday, according to NBC Connecticut.

Aiello told the station that she ousted the boys, ages 10 and 11, in a fit of rage when they became too rowdy.

"I said ... everybody out," Aiello recalled. "I opened the door, not thinking, not realizing the time. I was angry and said, ‘Go home.'"

She has been raising her 14-year-old grandson, Christopher, since his father died last year, according to NBC Connecticut.

A mother of one of the boys called police later that morning after he told her what happened.

SLEEPOVER6N_1_WEB

NBC Connecticut

The Middletown, Conn., home where police say Barbara Aiello, 71, kicked two young boys out of early Sunday.

Police said the kids were tossed out when the temperature was a frigid 23 degrees, The Middletown Press reported.

Cops asked Aiello why she didn't drive the boys home, and she allegedly said she "didn't think of that," according to The Press.

At least one of the boys lived in the same condo complex as Aiello.

The grandmother griped that she felt like a common criminal after she was cuffed.

Instead of ringing up police, Aiello said through tears, the boy's mom should have called her first.

"Is this how you want to be treated?" Aiello told NBC Connecticut. "Or can't we face-to-face, and talk to one another? Can't we talk to one another?"

eortiz@nydailynews.com

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/conn-grandma-arrested-booting-rowdy-boys-home-article-1.1255590#ixzz2K87bECel

Replies

• Radarma
    by Radarma
    February 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Crotchety old bat.

• AdrianneHill
    February 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    Sigh. People are little bitches.
  • norahsmommy
    February 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    One of the boys lived in the same complex. They wouldn't have died of cold or gotten frostbite walking to the other kids house. The one that lived elsewhere could have called his mom from his friends house.
  • mikiemom
    February 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM

She got what she deserved. The kids should have called the police or their parents right away.

• Rubberbiscuit
    February 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Kids can get rambunctious, and you have accept that.  If she couldn't handle it, she shouldn't have approved the sleepover.  If it's true that she didn't realise the time of night or think of driving them home, maybe she isn't mentally up to the task.  I'd be pissed if my kid was sent home on foot in the middle of the night. 

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    February 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    Something is wrong with that grandma. Really. There are better ways to deal with kids.
    I'm a grandma too and have an 11 year old grandson whose friends get rowdy but......I don't throw them out when I'm visiting and babysitting. I think she might be ill.....
  • RMC007
    by RMC007
    February 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I wouldn't care what the temperature was; I would be PISSED if an adult, who invited my dd to sleep over, kicked her out of the house. I would never kick a child out of my house and slam the door if the parent expected the child to be at my house until a certain time. If anything were to happen, I would NEVER forgive myself. What if the child's parents were not at home? What if the parents were sleeping and didn't wake up when their kid banged on the door? Call the damn parents, tell them that they need to come pick up their kid, and be done with it. I would be pissed if a parent called me up at 4:30 to come get my child, not at the parent, but at my child.

Now, if my neighbor's kid came over to play and the kids were out of control, I would say, "It is time for Billy to go home." If I invited Billy to stay the night and the kids were out of control, I would call his parents.

• WesternNYmom
    February 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I don't feel sorry for that woman at all. I wouldn't have cared how close we lived to her, but if that had been one of my kids, I would have been livid. I get that one of the boys lived in the same complex, but anything could have happened to him between that woman's appartment and his parent's.  There are alot of nuts out there. If she could handle loud kids, than why did she agree to the sleepover?  She should have invested in a good set of ear plugs, or called the parents of the kids to come get them.

• Euphoric
    February 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM

What a crazy old bat.

• FromAtoZ
    February 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I would have called the parents of the boys and told them to pick up their kids if they were that out of hand.

She didn't think and it landed her in trouble.

She claims the parents should have came to her, spoken with her before calling the police.  Perhaps she should have afforded them the same prior to sending the boys out at that time and in those temps.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN