Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
survivorinohio
What do you think about the fighting on field
February 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I havent watched the SB since Art Modell stole my team, the very same team playing tonight lol.  I dont remember the fighting during the superbowl.

Wow

Replies

• turtle68
    February 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I dont even understand how there could be ANY fighting at all....with that much headgear and padding what do you end up with ...a bruise?

down under Rugby is the sport of men :-)...which by the way is the mother of Gridiron LOL...when those men fight on the field....they fight...they dont push one another around and dance.  They all know the consequences (a punch to the face, followed by a huge fine) so the fighting doesnt happen that often....but you cant stop heightened emotions. The crowd usually goes wild :-)

• turtle68
    February 5, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I went to a match my nephew was playing in under 11yo rugby league( a real thugs game) and the parents got into a brawl because a mother (one of many) voiced her disgust at an opposing teams mother who kept screaming at her kids team to "stomp on their heads...STOMP ON THEM" ...the police turned up and hauled away kids parents.  The kids were all crying it was just friggin disgusting.

This was a grand final match.  My niece took her son out of that sport and came back to rugby LOL.

Quoting JTROX:

Yes.  Parents do often set bad examples at sporting events.  I am amazed at how some act just at 7-8 year old coach pitch ball.  

Quoting turtle68:

IMO its the parents that set that bad example from when they are on the sidelines of their kids junior years.

Quoting JTROX:

I don't expect football players to think about their actions.  Never said I did. The fact remains, whether they are thinking about it or not, they are setting bad examples for our children.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting JTROX:

I just commented about that to my family.  The athletes are setting bad examples for our children.

If you expect these football players to be thinking about setting an example, on that field, during that game, for your children, you need to re-think your expectations.

Yes, it is unsportsmanlike conduct and it is not acceptable.  But for goodness sakes, it happens and it happens often.  

I have never, in all my years of being a football fan, expected a player to act like a pristine role model on that field.  

Emotions are high, something none of us could ever understand.  It's not cool to bring your anger on the field and actually shove another and get in their face but it is part of the game.

• LindaClement
    February 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Yeah!

What other sport can you get your ear ripped off in?!?

Quoting turtle68:

I dont even understand how there could be ANY fighting at all....with that much headgear and padding what do you end up with ...a bruise?

down under Rugby is the sport of men :-)...which by the way is the mother of Gridiron LOL...when those men fight on the field....they fight...they dont push one another around and dance.  They all know the consequences (a punch to the face, followed by a huge fine) so the fighting doesnt happen that often....but you cant stop heightened emotions. The crowd usually goes wild :-)

• turtle68
    February 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Unless you are biting the ear....you dont get it ripped off in Rugby...you will if you are a hooker or prop end up with what are known as cauliflauer ears if you dont constantly wear head gear and protection.  Most of the professionals wear them these days but some still choose not to.   So you see bleeding ears a lot from those players :-)

Quoting LindaClement:

Yeah!

Quoting turtle68:

• LindaClement
    February 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

My eldest dated two hookers in a row. Worst day of the whole season was when they heard the guy's femur break from clear across the field... gag!

Quoting turtle68:

Unless you are biting the ear....you dont get it ripped off in Rugby...you will if you are a hooker or prop end up with what are known as cauliflauer ears if you dont constantly wear head gear and protection.  Most of the professionals wear them these days but some still choose not to.   So you see bleeding ears a lot from those players :-)

Quoting LindaClement:

Yeah!

Quoting turtle68:

• turtle68
    February 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM

ouch...I have two breakies and two bouncies.  The breakie kids dont play anymore...2 broken collar bones and 2 arm breaks are enough (all were done by them tripping over thin air...not even in tackles :-(

The bouncies love and excel at it so they will continue.

Your eldest must have a hankering for big men....hookers aint small (not talking fat either)

Quoting LindaClement:

My eldest dated two hookers in a row. Worst day of the whole season was when they heard the guy's femur break from clear across the field... gag!

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting LindaClement:

Yeah!

Quoting turtle68:

• LindaClement
    February 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Yeah... she likes her men with broad shoulders.

Quoting turtle68:

ouch...I have two breakies and two bouncies.  The breakie kids dont play anymore...2 broken collar bones and 2 arm breaks are enough (all were done by them tripping over thin air...not even in tackles :-(

The bouncies love and excel at it so they will continue.

Your eldest must have a hankering for big men....hookers aint small (not talking fat either)

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting LindaClement:

Yeah!

Quoting turtle68:

• Sisteract
    February 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM

My son has played rugby for 8 years (he is a college Sr.) Brutal- multiple broken bones, surgeries, tears, concussions. 2 weeks ago he came home with the outline of a cleat across his face and forehead- Yes, he supported cleat marks + bruises across his face for a week.

Quoting turtle68:

I went to a match my nephew was playing in under 11yo rugby league( a real thugs game) and the parents got into a brawl because a mother (one of many) voiced her disgust at an opposing teams mother who kept screaming at her kids team to "stomp on their heads...STOMP ON THEM" ...the police turned up and hauled away kids parents.  The kids were all crying it was just friggin disgusting.

This was a grand final match.  My niece took her son out of that sport and came back to rugby LOL.

Quoting JTROX:

Yes.  Parents do often set bad examples at sporting events.  I am amazed at how some act just at 7-8 year old coach pitch ball.  

Quoting turtle68:

IMO its the parents that set that bad example from when they are on the sidelines of their kids junior years.

Quoting JTROX:

I don't expect football players to think about their actions.  Never said I did. The fact remains, whether they are thinking about it or not, they are setting bad examples for our children.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting JTROX:

I just commented about that to my family.  The athletes are setting bad examples for our children.

If you expect these football players to be thinking about setting an example, on that field, during that game, for your children, you need to re-think your expectations.

Yes, it is unsportsmanlike conduct and it is not acceptable.  But for goodness sakes, it happens and it happens often.  

I have never, in all my years of being a football fan, expected a player to act like a pristine role model on that field.  

Emotions are high, something none of us could ever understand.  It's not cool to bring your anger on the field and actually shove another and get in their face but it is part of the game.

• turtle68
    February 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Dang...that is a lot of injuries.  I dont think Ive ever heard of that many injuries except at maybe a professional level. 

Rucking of the ball is always a danger...that is why its now illegal for a person on the ground near the ball to be near that ball..they have to roll away.  Sometimes that isnt a possibility...but its a dog act to do if done intentionally and has been the reason behind a few punch ups on the field.

My 11yo girl plays rugby and is good....she is in her final year as she cant play after 12 in a mixed comp.  She has no fear ...which is good and bad all at the same time LOL

Quoting Sisteract:

My son has played rugby for 8 years (he is a college Sr.) Brutal- multiple broken bones, surgeries, tears, concussions. 2 weeks ago he came home with the outline of a cleat across his face and forehead- Yes, he supported cleat marks + bruises across his face for a week.

Quoting turtle68:

• Sisteract
    February 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM

My boy is the scrum half- so a smaller player, but he plays like he's one of the bigger guys.

Quoting turtle68:

Dang...that is a lot of injuries.  I dont think Ive ever heard of that many injuries except at maybe a professional level. 

Rucking of the ball is always a danger...that is why its now illegal for a person on the ground near the ball to be near that ball..they have to roll away.  Sometimes that isnt a possibility...but its a dog act to do if done intentionally and has been the reason behind a few punch ups on the field.

My 11yo girl plays rugby and is good....she is in her final year as she cant play after 12 in a mixed comp.  She has no fear ...which is good and bad all at the same time LOL

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting turtle68:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN