survivorinohio
What do you think about the fighting on field
February 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I havent watched the SB since Art Modell stole my team, the very same team playing tonight lol.  I dont remember the fighting during the superbowl.

Wow

Replies

• JTROX
    by JTROX
    February 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I just commented about that to my family.  The athletes are setting bad examples for our children.

• meriana
    by meriana
    February 4, 2013 at 7:59 AM

When there is a game being played that is super important to the players and it's a rough, contact sport, tempers can and do flare. It happens.  BTW, this kind of thing happens all the time in hockey and people not only expect it, they seem to cheer it on so how come it's acceptable in that sport but not in football which is also a high contact sport? I'm not saying it's right at all, I'm just curious as to why people seem to find it acceptable in one sport and not others.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    February 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I didn't watch. I was watching "New Years Eve" on HBO---much better.

This is one reason I don't like football. They are a bunch of overly aggressive, drugged up, muscle-bound dimwits. Really.they fight about who has a BALL?I don't think fighting on a football field is entertainment. ( Just as I hate boxing too)And they are so competitive about it that they will risk their lives to run with a ball? How about those head injuries that have made some of the players get violent or commit suicide? Is it worth it? I think not.

They're like little kids in big bodies, big hyped-up bodies. Anyone read North Dallas Forty? A guy rips up his body during play, gets carried over to the sidelines, gets a powerful shot of something that is probably illegal and harmful to his health and goes back out to the field. Great.

....sigh. Go on and bash me, football fans... 

• FromAtoZ
    February 4, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Quoting JTROX:

I just commented about that to my family.  The athletes are setting bad examples for our children.

If you expect these football players to be thinking about setting an example, on that field, during that game, for your children, you need to re-think your expectations.

Yes, it is unsportsmanlike conduct and it is not acceptable.  But for goodness sakes, it happens and it happens often.  

I have never, in all my years of being a football fan, expected a player to act like a pristine role model on that field.  

Emotions are high, something none of us could ever understand.  It's not cool to bring your anger on the field and actually shove another and get in their face but it is part of the game.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    February 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Quoting meriana:

When there is a game being played that is super important to the players and it's a rough, contact sport, tempers can and do flare. It happens.  BTW, this kind of thing happens all the time in hockey and people not only expect it, they seem to cheer it on so how come it's acceptable in that sport but not in football which is also a high contact sport? I'm not saying it's right at all, I'm just curious as to why people seem to find it acceptable in one sport and not others.

Yah, I don't like the fighting in hockey either. I won't watch either hockey or football or any sports for many reasons but the fighting , to me, is unnecessary and distasteful. I can't understand why hockey fans cheer on the fighting?

I just don't get why carrying a ball to the end zone is so important that there are fights.....etc.

• FromAtoZ
    February 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting meriana:

Yah, I don't like the fighting in hockey either. I won't watch either hockey or football or any sports for many reasons but the fighting , to me, is unnecessary and distasteful. I can't understand why hockey fans cheer on the fighting?

I just don't get why carrying a ball to the end zone is so important that there are fights.....etc.

You don't understand the sport and that's fine.  Many people don't.  They only know what they see and well, some don't  like what they see.

Fighting should not be glorified and it isn't in the sense there are penalties associated with certain conduct.  It is part of the dynamic in a lot of situations.  

• romalove
    February 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I thought they acted like babies.

• meriana
    by meriana
    February 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting meriana:

I really don't get it much either. I watch football at times with Dh but usually I'd really rather watch something else so if he's enjoying a game, I tend to go play on the computer or do some sewing or something.

• Sisteract
    February 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

It's getting ridiculous. The same player keeps shoving, he just punched a guy in the chest, getting in their faces... Knock it off or get off the field.

Was it #29?

• Woodbabe
    February 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Well, considering Obama's interview about the sport and all the comments and commercials about making the game safer, I fully expect the Superbowl to be a Flag Football game in three years.