ethans_momma06
Another 5 year old in trouble...
January 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM

for a toy gun. Flipped on the news to hear that a 5 year old made a Lego gun was recieving threats of suspension. I think it's freaking ridiculous.

"I worry that just like so many cases this year, my son will be in trouble for playing. I worry that like the 6 year old boy in Silver Spring who pointed his finger and said ‘Pow!’ that my son will face suspension. I worry that like the Philadelphia fifth grade girl, my son may face invasive searches, public shaming, name calling. I worry that like the 5 year old Massachusetts boy (who made a gun out of Legos) that my son may receive threats of punishment. I have a fear that my son may face the horrendous treatment  the 6 year old who wanted to shoot her friend with bubbles did. These punishments include:

• Suspension
  • Intimidation
  • Threats
  • Psychological Evaluations
  • being labelled as a making ‘terrorist threats’

My god, does this not seem simply insane to other people out there? I understand that ‘these are the rules’ but haven’t we always supported rising up against unfair and ridiculous rules and laws in society? Or do we use that as a cover for our fear given the recent events involving gun violence we (and our schools) have faced? I cannot help but feel extremely worried, disturbed by the idea that we must corrupt, twist, and strip the innocence of normal childhood play because we as a people are afraid." -One Day Of Peace

Do you think that these are overreactions? Or do you think that the schools are justified in responding as they have?

Replies

• pamelax3
    January 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM

IMO the schools are over reacting, however if they do not you will have a parent throwing a fit because someone said "boo" to their kid... We as adults/parents have done this to our children and have taught them if you do not like something (bubble gun) then mommy will go to the school  and get that mean little girl in trouble..

Sorry people we have to deal with this over reaction, because now days all are kids have to do is whine and we run to take care of it.

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    January 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I think that it's the parent's responsibility to really drive home the importance of not 'playing guns' at this very sensitive time. Five year old kids are still goading adults and crossing faint lines drawn in the sand because it's their nature. I thin the act of severely punishing kids for these offenses in school is absurd and over the top.

• candlegal
    January 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM

AH yes, the daily task of the government run teachers in the government run schools,   make sure the kiddos don't make any paper or leggo guns

• IntactivistMama
    January 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    Whee. Madness ensues yet again.
  • ethans_momma06
    January 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I think that it's the parent's responsibility to really drive home the importance of not 'playing guns' at this very sensitive time. Five year old kids are still goading adults and crossing faint lines drawn in the sand because it's their nature. I thin the act of severely punishing kids for these offenses in school is absurd and over the top.

I have really stressed the importance of no play fighting at school with my son (I don't even like it at home really), but every day when we walk home- him and his friend start poking at each other. I ask him what he played at recess and it's always 'Oh we (big group of boys and sometimes a girl) played superninja poweranger awesome squad of violence'. Okay, I paraphrased a bit.

I have a hard time accepting that I need to introduce him to the idea of mass muders so that he stops playing like... well... a pretty typical 5 year old.

I mean, I'm kind of wondering if we really should be creating that line for them because we are scared. Kwim?

• ethans_momma06
    January 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Quoting pamelax3:

IMO the schools are over reacting, however if they do not you will have a parent throwing a fit because someone said "boo" to their kid... We as adults/parents have done this to our children and have taught them if you do not like something (bubble gun) then mommy will go to the school  and get that mean little girl in trouble..

Sorry people we have to deal with this over reaction, because now days all are kids have to do is whine and we run to take care of it.

I totally agree with that part in blue.

• LuvmyAiden
    January 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I think it is insane myself. Kids need to be kids. For those of us in the gun industry I think it is particularly scary since most of us have kids who shoot on the weekends. We worry they will be in trouble for talking about it at school and things like that. The whole big brother thing is getting a bit out of hand IMO.

• ali840
    by ali840
    January 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I have a 9 yo and a 5 yo in school and I worry about the same things. Our overreaction to these issues is absolutely ridiculous. I'd like to think that because we are in a very small school district and I know all the teachers and principal that they will take each instance as it comes rather than making sweeping rules about "gun" play, but I don't know.

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    January 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I have really stressed the importance of no play fighting at school with my son (I don't even like it at home really), but every day when we walk home- him and his friend start poking at each other. I ask him what he played at recess and it's always 'Oh we (big group of boys and sometimes a girl) played superninja poweranger awesome squad of violence'. Okay, I paraphrased a bit.

I have a hard time accepting that I need to introduce him to the idea of mass muders so that he stops playing like... well... a pretty typical 5 year old.

I mean, I'm kind of wondering if we really should be creating that line for them because we are scared. Kwim?

I feel like you've misunderstood my point.

No, in fact I don't think a 5,6,7,8 year old needs to know about details of what happened. However, I do feel that a parent can convey that gun play makes many people uncomfortable and that if kids choose to gun play in school they will likely be punished severely.

I wasn't suggesting people draw lines in the sand. I was saying that we do create boundaries everyday(not necessarily with gun play) Kids still find ways to toe the line and jump over it to test parents, teachers and care givers.

• Presley77
    January 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    It's just stupid. I mean get a grip!!! We played cops and robbers as a kid. Look at all the shooting video games now! Gimmeny Christmas people need to get a damn grip.