Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Citygirlk
Question for Christians
January 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I read a part of the bible the other day where it said basically not to show off, don't tell the whole world that you gave to charity and things like that, it's a sin. 

Anyway why I am seeing more more that people (especially Christians) doing this all the time? It's like if they do something good it doesn't matter unless the whole world knows about it. 

I just found that weird. Ok rant over.

Replies

• pampire
    by pampire
    January 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Because a large number of ppl (of all religions) only pick and choose the pieces of their "faith" that they choose to follow.  Also, in America esp., we are desperate for attention and external validation because we have not learned how to find validation internally.

• Whaaaaaa....O.o
    January 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM
    They would be modern day Pharisees. One reason I like the fact that at my church you can give online. I don't like everyone seeing what I do. It's private and between me and God. And if I help someone out that is between me and them. If they want to give a shout out, that's their prerogative. Otherwise, Im not telling anyone. :)
  • godsgirl26
    January 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I'm Christian and i sure the heck don't tell anyone what i do. That is because its between me and god.

• somuchlove4U
    January 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM
    I'm a Christian and I find it strange as well. We are supposed to do this privately, this includes fasting. I've seen so many Christian talk about it. I just don't understand why they do that.

Quoting Citygirlk:

I read a part of the bible the other day where it said basically not to show off, don't tell the whole world that you gave to charity and things like that, it's a sin. 

Anyway why I am seeing more more that people (especially Christians) doing this all the time? It's like if they do something good it doesn't matter unless the whole world knows about it. 

• Citygirlk
    January 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I just hate seeing it. 

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I'm a Christian and I find it strange as well. We are supposed to do this privately, this includes fasting. I've seen so many Christian talk about it. I just don't understand why they do that.

Quoting Citygirlk:

• somuchlove4U
    January 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM
    Me too.

Quoting Citygirlk:

I just hate seeing it. 

Quoting somuchlove4U:

Quoting Citygirlk:

• glitterteaz
    January 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM

they prescribe to the Luby's bible menu!

• MeAndTommyLee
    January 30, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Being humble is hard for some people.  I enjoy giving anonymously.  You don't need `credit' when it comes from the heart. 

• MommaGreenhalge
    January 30, 2013 at 2:13 AM
    It makes me sad as well. I can say I have been on the recieving end of anonymous giving, and it is more of a blessing to me not knowing. I often feel ashamed of our need, and while i want to share my grattitude, I feel akward in relationships with people who I know have given me money. When I've been able to give, I try to make it anonymous as well. The joy is exponentially greater.
  • toomanypoodles
    January 30, 2013 at 2:44 AM

That's a shame.  We don't let peeps know what and where we give---and when we give our weekly offering at church, it goes into the provided envelope.  It's nobody's business but ours and our God's. 

Our pastoral staff does not have access to the giving records either---a bookkeeper keeps track of the giving and sends a statement to the individual giver quarterly---it is never shared with anyone. 

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts