Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Borne_Wonky
Terry Achane, the soldier dad who's now ex-wife gave their daughter up for adoption got her back!
January 29, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I apologize for the double post.

Touching! SC Man United With Daughter Who Was Put Up For Adoption

Terry Achane utah

South Carolina Sargent Terry Achane (pictured left) received a wonderful gift this past week:  a judge granted him custody of his daughter who was given up for adoption without his consent or knowledge.

SEE ALSO: Ex-Detroit Mayor Released From Prison

After a judge ruled in his favor in a Provo, Utah, courtroom Friday, Achane took 22-month-oldTeleah (pictured right, below) home.

“I got my daughter back,” Achane told the Salt Lake Tribune. “I’m very happy. It’s 22 months too long, but the wait was worth it.”

The end result was bittersweet for the couple Teleah was initially placed with. Jared and Kristi Freireportedly exited the courtroom through the back to avoid reporters, because they were dismayed at losing the girl they’d taken care of for much of her short life. An attorney for the Freis noted that it was an “extremely difficult” time for them and that they were missing “the little girl whom they considered part of their family for these past 22 months.”

Watch Achane’s story here:

Back in 2010, Achane married Tira Bland, Tealeh’s mother. The couple’s marriage soon turned rocky and was strained further by Achane’s transfer to South Carolina from their Texas home to serve as a drill sergeant at Fort Jackson, court documents say. During their marital struggles, Bland apparently worried that Achane would abandon her and the soon-to-arrive Tealeah.

Shortly after Achane left in January 2011, Bland gave birth to Tealeah without his knowledge and contacted the Adoption Center Of Choice in American Fork. Bland didn’t notify Achane of what she’d done until June 2011, according to the New York Daily News.

Archane began searching for Tealeah, who’d then been placed with the Freis. The Utah residents claim they tried serving Achane with an adoption petition, but he didn’t accept it.

“To our great shock and dismay, he objected to our petition and intervened to stop the adoption,” the Freis wrote on their blog dedicated to Teleah.

Over the last 19 months, despite the law requiring that a Father show interest in his child and at least attempt regular communication to establish a bond, the father has never shown any interest in Leah other than to hire an attorney.  He has never sent her clothes or toys, or even a gift on Christmas or her birthday.  He’s never inquired into her health and well-being, or other details like when she started crawling, walking, talking, or cutting her first tooth. In short, he hasn’t shown any of the natural affection or interest of a parent.

In spite of the Freis’ perception of Achane, judge Harold McDonald ruled that Achane had custodial rights, with the judge adding that he was “astonished and deeply troubled” that the Adoption Center Of Choice would ignore Teleah’s father. This cleared the way for Teleah to unite with her father. On Saturday, Achane took his daughter to Fort Jackson to see his family for the first time.

The Freis have appealed McDonald’s decision. The next hearing on the case is scheduled for March.

Replies

• dawnie1
    by dawnie1
    January 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM

The way I heard this story was the adoptive family know all along that the birth father was not informed about the birth mother putting the baby up for adoption. If that is true then in my opinion they have absolutely no right to that child and the birth mother needs some jail time.

• Lottie925
    January 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I blame the adoption center. If the birth father is in the military and also has a lawyer, they should not have followed through with the adoption. I feel for the fries, adoption through the American system can be very complex. My friends fostered and eventually adopted their son. The birth parents were drug users who got pregnant again - had lost other children to the system, messed with our friends saying that he had a sister that they could have. Then kept her... They also were not 100%honest about the drug use. Their son has several issues which they are dealing with, and it would have been helpful to have full disclosure so they could help him better. It's just hard. 

• SEEKEROFSHELLS
    January 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM

If you are married and you have a baby I thought it was automatically assumed it was the husbands. I don't think much of this adoption center either. Guy busts his butt in the military and gets his kid stolen. Glad he got her back.

• randi1978
    January 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM

It amazes me at their entitlement just by this statement alone.  Shocked and dismayed that he wanted his child back?

The second paragraph is a huge crock.  The mother bailed within a week of him being stationed in another state.  Mr. Achane didn't have contact with Teleah over the course of these proceedings because the Frei's barred him from contacting her.  They finally allowed contact after Achane's lawyer threatened them with contempt.

Quoting Borne_Wonky:

“To our great shock and dismay, he objected to our petition and intervened to stop the adoption,” the Freis wrote on their blog dedicated to Teleah.

Over the last 19 months, despite the law requiring that a Father show interest in his child and at least attempt regular communication to establish a bond, the father has never shown any interest in Leah other than to hire an attorney.  He has never sent her clothes or toys, or even a gift on Christmas or her birthday.  He’s never inquired into her health and well-being, or other details like when she started crawling, walking, talking, or cutting her first tooth. In short, he hasn’t shown any of the natural affection or interest of a parent.

• Borne_Wonky
    January 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I know. The video says he's looking to work with visitation with the family. I honestly hope he doesn't. They're still acting like he wasn't interested in his daughter and has no right to get him back, evident by their appeal scheduled for March. 

I feel if he does work with them, they'll make his and Leah's life a living hell. Constantly making charges against him for one thing or another.

Quoting randi1978:

It amazes me at their entitlement just by this statement alone.  Shocked and dismayed that he wanted his child back?

The second paragraph is a huge crock.  The mother bailed within a week of him being stationed in another state.  Mr. Achane didn't have contact with Teleah over the course of these proceedings because the Frei's barred him from contacting her.  They finally allowed contact after Achane's lawyer threatened them with contempt.

Quoting Borne_Wonky:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts