Pema_Jampa
Texas Considers Giving Tax Breaks For Violating Obamacare
January 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Texas Obamacare Bill Would Give Tax Breaks To Companies That Don't Cover Contraception

The Huffington Post  |  By  Posted: 

Texas may consider rewarding companies for violating a key Obamacare provision.

State Rep. Jonathan Stickland (R) introduced a bill in the Texas House of Representatives on Thursday that would give tax breaks to companies that don't cover emergency contraception such as the morning-after pill, the Austin American-Statesman reports. Under Obamacare, company health insurance plans are required to fully cover employees' contraception costs, and companies must pay a federal fine if they do not.

The Texas bill, if it becomes law, could help wipe out the financial disincentive for some companies to not cover emergency contraception. The state tax break would be up to the total amount that companies pay in state taxes or the total amount of the federal fine, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

Obamacare's contraception mandate has faced a number of court challenges. A federal judge ruled in November that Hobby Lobby must cover employees' contraception costs after the company filed a lawsuit requesting an exemption, claiming that the contraception mandate violated their religious freedom. Federal judges have dismissed several several similar lawsuits. The Supreme Court declined to block the contraception mandate in December.

Some companies' opposition to the contraception mandate may hurt their bottom line. Hobby Lobby's vocal opposition to covering contraception has spurred a backlash, with a petition to boycott the company garnering more than 70,000 signatures.

Replies

• jehosoba84
    January 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM

HaHaHaHa!   Good 'Ol Texas

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    January 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM

This state is so friggin backwards.

• terpmama
    January 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM

And we wonder why our children have no respect... Yep blame the gays and atheists not politicians who thrown tantrums when they don't get their way instead of acting like adults

• Aslen
    by Aslen
    January 28, 2013 at 9:57 PM
    Figures...
    Fucking dumbass rednecks
  • Sekirei
    by Sekirei
    January 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM

How very adult of them...

someone, remind me why texas is considered a good place to live? because I am not seeing it.

• Whaaaaaa....O.o
    January 28, 2013 at 10:48 PM
    Sigh.

And here come the haters.
  • glitterteaz
    January 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM

moron of the year awards must be coming

• Healthystart30
    January 28, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    I dont understand what the big deal is, they pay for an insurance package that includes birth control, nobody is shoving birth control down their throats! what is the difference between including contraceptions and people using their salaries from for example Hobby Lobby to buy it? The money is supplied by Hobby Lobby in both cases! I get so annoyed with Republicans because the only things they are loud about is abortion, contraception and putting God "back" into the school, and how we need to cut welfare! Why not offer women that are denied contraceptives through their employer a tax break so they can afford it?
  • yourspecialkid
    January 29, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I don't see the hoopla.  They are just giving employers a way to keep from violating their personal beliefs.

No one is keeping people from USING birth control, they just have to buy it themselves.............the same way we have been doing it for eons.

• juju40
    by juju40
    January 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM

that's why I love TEXAS