Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
stacymomof2
HOMEWORK--What is acceptable?
January 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM

What do you think is an acceptable amount?

I have a 1st grader and she gets one math worksheet and 20 minutes of reading nightly, plus spelling tests weekly.  I actually don't think it is enough, she whizzes through the math so quick.  She always reads anyway.  She gets the spelling words right after a quick review and practice test.  I bought her some math workbooks that are more challenging, and I have her do a page or two of that.

Is it because she is so young that she doesn't seem really challenged by the assigned work? (Meaning they wouldn't give her much.)

Or am I cursing myself and she will be overwhelmed in the future?

Replies

• JakeandEmmasMom
    January 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM

The train of thought at my kids' school is that at that age, they are just trying to get them into the routine of homework and getting them to be responsible for it.  They want it to be fairly easy (simply reinforcing the class work) so that they can do it with minimal help.  My second grader has 20 minutes of homework (including 15 minutes of reading) and my third grader has 30 minutes of homework (including 20 minutes of reading).

• mandaday
    January 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    I think ideally the point of homework this early on should just be to get them in the habit of doing it. Older grades get too much. It should not take half the length of the school day to do the homework. Enjoy it now. In a few years it will seem as though she has no time for family or a life.
  • lizmarie1975
    January 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I felt the same as you last year when my daughter was in 1st grade. I'm pretty sure she had more homework in the Catholic school pre-k she attended.

This year, 2nd grade, it's a little better: one sheet of math homework, 20 mins of reading, answering a couple of questions about what she read, spelling homework, and a writing assignment every night.

She usually does at least one thing on the bus ride home, thankfully, because 2 days out of the week she's only home for about 10 minutes before we're heading out for gymnastics.

• survivorinohio
    January 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Our first graders here didnt get much. Reading every night yes maybe a few worksheets a week.

This yr the one second grade class has an assignment every night and the other os a few a week.  One teacher wants a practice spelling test every week and the other doesnt.  Its very difficult having two students in the same grade who have such different workloads.

I think it really is teacher to teacher that it varies.  I have B do more when I dont think the teacher has sent enough.

• coala
    by coala
    January 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM

We HS.  I give my 1st grader about an 1 1/2 hours of reinforcement work.  She has writting, practicing a number b/c they look so terrible, a spelling assignment and 30 min of reading daily.  Although my current K student is doing what the 1st graders in PS are doing.  It's a crying shame.

• GLWerth
    by GLWerth
    January 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM

My oldest always finishes his work and homework in class. He's in 6th grade.

My second son has between 30 minutes and an hour of homework most nights. He's in 5th grade.

Preschooler has no homework.

• MeAndTommyLee
    January 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM

In Kindergarten the homework was the work they did not finish in class or a sheet or two.  They were assigned a book on Monday and expected to be able to read it to the teacher on Friday afternoon.  I was fine with that. 

Our older children went to Catholic School where they were assigned minimal homework because home time was `family time'.  They did have special project and that sort which were assigned well in advance of it's due date.  Again, I had no problem with that. 

• purpleducky
    January 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM

My 1st grader has whatever math I assign (I work closely with his teacher and this is the arrangement we created), spelling, and 15 minutes of reading everynight plus anything he does not finish during the day at school. However, soon he will soon be bringing home a writing report to work on at home too. This is the standard for 1-3 graders at my son's school.

• Carmel63
    January 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM

In my experience the homework ramps up very quickly, and in a couple of years she will have a few hours of homework per night.

• stacymomof2
    January 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Hmmm, that must be the philosophy at our school.  It doesn't even take 5 minutes to do the worksheets, she actually wishes there was more, that's why I give her extra.  She loves math but hates working on the spelling words.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

The train of thought at my kids' school is that at that age, they are just trying to get them into the routine of homework and getting them to be responsible for it.  They want it to be fairly easy (simply reinforcing the class work) so that they can do it with minimal help.  My second grader has 20 minutes of homework (including 15 minutes of reading) and my third grader has 30 minutes of homework (including 20 minutes of reading).

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN