Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
JakeandEmmasMom
Banned From Tithing?
January 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM

All of these posts about banning welfare recipients from spending money on X, Y, Z got me thinking.  Should welfare recipients be banned from putting money in the collection plate at church?  After all, if they can't afford to support themselves, should they really be taking the money from the government just to give some away?

Whether or not it could be enforced isn't the point.  This is a philosophical question.

Should welfare recipients be banned from putting money in the collection plate at church?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 20% - Yes
  2. 73% - No
  3. 5% - Other

Replies

• Euphoric
    January 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM

bump

• tscritch
    January 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM

BUMP!

• Mortiferouslatt
    January 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    Banned? No...but I do not think they should be expected to tithe by the church.
  • JoyfulinSD
    January 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I have an issue with this. The church used to help the needy. Now, going to church is like a guiltfest. Half of the sermon is how desperate the church is now with needing updated, renovations, additions to the building, the pastors pay, sending kids to camp and everything else. When I was younger, the church used to go visitshut ins, help those in need in our community. Now we just sent $35,000 to Haiti to help them out. What about our members on PA?  welfare recipients should not contribute.  The church wants seperation of church and state, they shouldn't take from the state then either.

• jehosoba84
    January 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Members who are that low-income are not expected to contribute. None of our sermons are about money, or the need of it, so noone should feel guilty about not donating.

I do not comprehend our society's fixation on trying to ban A, B, C type persons from doing X, Y, Z activities or buying D, E, and F products.

• candlegal
    January 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Not sure what Church you go to but ours still helps the needy.  They go out twice a day to feed the homeless and the help to stock the pantry of many in the neighborhood and they don't have to be a member to get help.  They still visit shut ins and visit the prisoners as well as nursing homes.    Maybe you should find a new Church.

Quoting JoyfulinSD:

I have an issue with this. The church used to help the needy. Now, going to church is like a guiltfest. Half of the sermon is how desperate the church is now with needing updated, renovations, additions to the building, the pastors pay, sending kids to camp and everything else. When I was younger, the church used to go visitshut ins, help those in need in our community. Now we just sent $35,000 to Haiti to help them out. What about our members on PA?  welfare recipients should not contribute.  The church wants seperation of church and state, they shouldn't take from the state then either.

• FromAtoZ
    January 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Just ban people from doing any thing that doesn't meet the criteria of others.

That way, no one can do any thing and every one will be happy.

• talia-mom
    January 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM

The government runs the lottery.  It can certainly put limitations on who can buy it.   The government doesn't run the church.

• mikiemom
    January 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I don't think welfare should consist of money at all - food and shelter - to include utilities. that's it. everything else is just not needed.

• mikiemom
    January 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I think if we did away with cash benefits it would be better.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Just ban people from doing any thing that doesn't meet the criteria of others.

That way, no one can do any thing and every one will be happy.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts