Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
flprincessmom
ObamaCare & Medicaid
January 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM
I have Florida Medicaid Share of Cost, which means my monthly Dr's && Rx bills have to exceed a certain $$$ before I can get coverage for that particular month.....Does anyone know how ObamaCare will change this? From what I have heard or read everyone will be offered affordable health care....but at the rate of my monthly "premium" I can't afford health care. Will this decrease my premium and make healthcare affordable or "free" since it is Medicaid?

Replies

• survivorinohio
    January 27, 2013 at 8:26 PM

No idea but here is a bump

• ReginaStar
    January 27, 2013 at 8:42 PM

IDK but I hear FL is one the states refusing to extend medicaid cov. to adults. I think what will happen is that if you make 100% of the poverty line adults and children not currently covered will be covered. 

• ReginaStar
    January 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Ok so I just read here is the difference. Right now pregnant women and children 6 and under at 133% of the poverty line get medicaid. Children above that can't get it unless at 100% of poverty line. Adults with no children do not get medicaid at all. Not sure about income limit for adults I'm pretty sure it's not 100% since adults with older children on medicaid can't get it. But after the expansion it will be 133% for all. Not sure if eligible you'll be required to pay a portion or not. 

• flprincessmom
    January 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Thank you for the info!!!  Both my kids get full MA && I did too until BD started paying his CS again, so now my Share of Cost is almost $700 a month......my income, about $11,000 a yr.,  is definitelybelow poverty line for a family of 3, so I am hoping with the changes it reduces my costs significantly so that I can get routine health care && counseling for my PTSD, Anxiety, && Depression...I am hoping this change truly does make health care affordable for all...maybe even free for us poor familiesfingers crossed

• littlelamb303
    January 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM

The obamacare plan is going to raise the income level for medicaid up to 29k, so if you make up to that, you will qualify for it.  Anyone over 30k is going to be offered low cost premiums.  This is what I have read.

• flprincessmom
    January 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM

So essentially I will be eligible for "free" MA instead of a Share Of Cost? (annual household income approx. $11,000 for family of 3)

Quoting littlelamb303:

The obamacare plan is going to raise the income level for medicaid up to 29k, so if you make up to that, you will qualify for it.  Anyone over 30k is going to be offered low cost premiums.  This is what I have read.

• ReginaStar
    January 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Yes most likely. Don't want to say for sure though cause they are constantly changes things but if it remains as it with the exception of income eligibility then yes. 

Quoting flprincessmom:

So essentially I will be eligible for "free" MA instead of a Share Of Cost? (annual household income approx. $11,000 for family of 3)

Quoting littlelamb303:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts