Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Pema_Jampa
President Obama Laments Rush Limbaugh And Fox News’ Influence On Public Debate
January 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM

President Obama Laments Rush Limbaugh And Fox News’ Influence On Public Debate

Source: Mediaite

In a soon-to-be-released interview with The New Republic, President Obama reportedly laments the negative influence Fox News and Rush Limbaugh can have on the congressional debate over various pieces of legislation. 

The president told TNR editor Frank Foer and owner Chris Hughes that “One of the biggest factors is going to be how the media shapes debates.” 

The media can either help break or uphold partisan gridlock, the president said, adding that “If a Republican member of Congress is not punished on Fox News or by Rush Limbaugh for working with a Democrat on a bill of common interest, then you’ll see more of them doing it.” 

The president also conceded that “he same dynamic happens on the Democratic side,” but in his mind, “the difference is just that the more left-leaning media outlets recognize that compromise is not a dirty word.”

Read more: http://www.mediaite.com/online/president-obama-laments-rush-limbaugh-and-fox-news-influence-on-public-debate/ 

Replies

• Farmlady09
    January 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Sorry, but I want the president to 1) start answering to ALL of his constituents, 2) start accepting (and dealing with) the fact that half of this country does not want what he is planning ~ and don't want their reps to do what he commands, and 3) start actually leading instead of making demands and pouting when everyone doesn't jump to obey.

He admits that the left leaning media does the same thing ... but if he's ok with that, then he has no call demanding that the media that leans right do anything differently.

Neither side (and for that matter Obama himself) have done their most basic job in four years. All they've done is sit around pointing fingers at each other while the country goes into a tailspin ... and pitch a fit when somone suggests that unless/until they at least get the budget done they not be paid another penny until it's done.

Fwiw, I don't have a problem with partisanship at this point. I don't want what O wants for this country. I don't want what the progressives want. In that light, I'm quite content with gridlock at this point, because ANY compromise on the part of the House means more progressive messes to clean up later.

Quoting gdiamante:

I read it as the president wants the right-wing media to STOP punishing Republicans who are willing to reach across the aisle. 

But I also think he needs to be even handed. BOTH right AND left are being lax in holding feet to the fire and insisting on compromise instead of the ridiculousness we've seen in Washington.

I want to see more politicians act as Chris Christie did in pointing out the idiocy of partisanship above all.

Quoting Farmlady09:

The president ~ of the US ~ wants the media and radio talk shows that don't agree with him to 'punish' elected officials that won't simply do what he commands them to?!?

What a pathetic lump of crap.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    January 27, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Who doesn't lament Rush Limbaugh? LOL.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    January 27, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

I guess the Blame Bush defense isn't working so now Obama is moving on the the Blame Rush and Fox...

Actually....you mentioned two different issues.

1) Bush wrecked the Economy.

2)Fox News and Rush lie like rugs.

See? Two different things,

• gdiamante
    January 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Quoting Farmlady09:

Sorry, but I want the president to 1) start answering to ALL of his constituents, 2) start accepting (and dealing with) the fact that half of this country does not want what he is planning ~ and don't want their reps to do what he commands, and 3) start actually leading instead of making demands and pouting when everyone doesn't jump to obey.

Serious question: Have we ever had a president who did all of the above? I don't remember having one, ever. Would be nice, though.

He admits that the left leaning media does the same thing ... but if he's ok with that, then he has no call demanding that the media that leans right do anything differently.

He shouldn't be OK with EITHER side doing it.

Neither side (and for that matter Obama himself) have done their most basic job in four years. All they've done is sit around pointing fingers at each other while the country goes into a tailspin ... and pitch a fit when somone suggests that unless/until they at least get the budget done they not be paid another penny until it's done.

And I'm playing the world's smallest violin for them at this moment!

Fwiw, I don't have a problem with partisanship at this point. I don't want what O wants for this country. I don't want what the progressives want. In that light, I'm quite content with gridlock at this point, because ANY compromise on the part of the House means more progressive messes to clean up later.

I'm actually not trying to pick a fight with you. A plague on ALL their houses! Each of them has such tunnel vision that they cannot work effectively. But partisan gridlock will merely create worse messes than we're in already, such as kicking the can down the road regarding the debt ceiling and the sequester. Both sides need to sit down and make some sacrifices.

• AdrianneHill
    January 27, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    Wow, I'm surprised your arm isn't hurting from having to stretch so far. He actually asked for people to not be punished for being seen talking to him. Kinda different but they might be to nuanced to ask of you so I apologize

Quoting Farmlady09:

The president ~ of the US ~ wants the media and radio talk shows that don't agree with him to 'punish' elected officials that won't simply do what he commands them to?!?

• Aslen
    by Aslen
    January 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    well, at least you admit you want our country in the dark ages.
    The REST of us want it where it should be for the 21st century

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting gdiamante:

I read it as the president wants the right-wing media to STOP punishing Republicans who are willing to reach across the aisle. 

But I also think he needs to be even handed. BOTH right AND left are being lax in holding feet to the fire and insisting on compromise instead of the ridiculousness we've seen in Washington.

I want to see more politicians act as Chris Christie did in pointing out the idiocy of partisanship above all.

Quoting Farmlady09:

• calcalmommy
    January 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    Power of free speech, baby! Oh wait, he's probably gonna try and take that way too...
  • Farmlady09
    January 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Would you like it better if I stated he wants the news media to punish the constituents of those who won't do as he commands by encouraging them to tell their constituents tough noogies and doing what O wants?

All it comes down to is that half of Congress is telling O no. He is throwing a quieter tantrum than normal, but it's still a tantrum. He wants it all his way, and he wants it now, and to h e double toothpicks with anyone who doesn't want what he wants.

Speaking as someone who wants almost nothing he wants, my representatives have a choice between getting flack from the media or 'me' (and a lot of others who also don't want what O wants). My reps know that if they do what O wants, the media isn't going to keep their job for them ~ only their voters will ... and only IF they do what their voters want them to. That's how it works, and all of O's ranting about the media means squat.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Where did you get that?  That's the opposite of the point.  Thus the headline "laments."

Quoting Farmlady09:

• Farmlady09
    January 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Serious question: Have we ever had a president who did all of the above? I don't remember having one, ever. Would be nice, though.

He shouldn't be OK with EITHER side doing it.

And I'm playing the world's smallest violin for them at this moment!

I'm actually not trying to pick a fight with you. A plague on ALL their houses! Each of them has such tunnel vision that they cannot work effectively. But partisan gridlock will merely create worse messes than we're in already, such as kicking the can down the road regarding the debt ceiling and the sequester. Both sides need to sit down and make some sacrifices.

Agreed. I'm almost more unhappy with congress as a whole than with O at this point. Almost, but it's a close call so congress shouldn't get a swelled head about it. 

• Farmlady09
    January 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM

What ????

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Wow, I'm surprised your arm isn't hurting from having to stretch so far. He actually asked got purple to not be punished for being seen taking to him. Kinda different but they might be to nuanced to ask of you so I apologize

Quoting Farmlady09:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts