JCB911
Snip Snip - the side effects of a vasectomy
by JCB911
January 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

DH is thinking of getting snipped - we're done having kids.

Almost all Dr.s say there is no side-effects, The procedure is down,  a day or two of rest and an ice pack and he's done. 

However, the internet says shows a very different side.  Men reporting pain, a constant pain for months following,  the vas deferns (or epidideymis) bursting from pressure, swelling continuing for weeks.

So two quesitons -

Do you know any men who have had it done - did they have any issues a day or two post procedure?

Second - it seems like this is the case with everything medical.  Medicine/Dr.s/AMA/Hospitals say whatever procedure/operation/drug/etc is safe and then the internet shows some pretty bad horror stories resulting from "Safe" procedures/operations/drugs/etc.

Do you trust that something is safe b/c "medicine" says it is - or do you think "big medicine" is just looking out for themselves and will say anything? 

Replies

• lizzielouaf
    January 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I know several men that have had it done. A bag of frozen peas on their "delicates" and they're fine in a couple days. 

• punky3175
    January 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    It's so funny. I just had this conversation with my 'train husband' last week. He said he'd read all the same things on the Internet before he had his but followed doctors orders directly and had no problems whatsoever. Tell your DH to follow orders and not do anything for the prescribed amount of time regardless of whether he feels like he can or not. I've actually known quite a few men who've had it done and none have talked about having serious side effects and are happy they had it done. (No I don't know why I've had so many conversations with my male friends about their vasectomies.)
  • Ziva65
    by Ziva65
    January 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Hubby had it, so have most of our male friends.

They have all been fine. Hubby and I went ot a concert the same night. There are risks to everything, and potential side effects. In the long run, it sure is better than putting hormones in your body...or some other female options that are more invasive.

Get a urologist that you like, who has a good reptation, and a good record. Interview him, talk wth him... peronally, I think it's the best way to go. But, everyone is different.

Worked for us. Hubby didn't have much a choice really :)

• LavenderMom23
    January 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I have had one guy tell me he felt less masculine. The male equivalent of women who say they feel less feminine after a tubal. I don't know anyone else IRL who has had the procedure.   

• angelize
    My husband had it done last year... He always has something go wrong when he gets surgery or something done... A month after the procedure was done I noticed that he had 3 dangly friends instead of 2... He said it was sort of painful, so the next day he went it... Apparently he had a buildup of boy fluid in his sac and that he needed to release himself to help it go away (after I had my son I have been not interested in doing the deed)... This happened quite a few times until we realized we needed to do it at least 2-3 times a week... No problems since August of last year :)
  • Debmomto2girls
    My dh had it done several years ago. He got it
    done in Friday and was fine by Sunday. A bag of frozen veggies and 2 Tylenol was it.

The reason for the pain in some men is because frequently men feel fine after a day or two and start heavy lifting. He couldn't drive for a couple of days and no heavy lifting. It is when men overdo it they have pain.

Also, the stories of people getting pregnant years later is because often men do not do all the follow up visits. My dh had to give a sample
    At 3 months, 6 months and a year (I believe). His urologist said people usually only come for one or two follow up visits and since their sample is clear they never bother with the last visit. You need to make all your appointments.
  • JCB911
    by JCB911

I agree that a vasectomy is far better than anything I could do.  And I won't.  I was stupidly on the pill when I was younger. Luckily I had no ill-effects - but I know better now.   It's either get snipped or stick with condoms.

Quoting Ziva65:

They have all been fine. Hubby and I went ot a concert the same night. There are risks to everything, and potential side effects. In the long run, it sure is better than putting hormones in your body...or some other female options that are more invasive.

Get a urologist that you like, who has a good reptation, and a good record. Interview him, talk wth him... peronally, I think it's the best way to go. But, everyone is different.

• LindaClement
    January 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM

There are only rare complications, mostly caused by failing to follow recovery-care instructions.

You know: the morons who help a friend move the next day. He-men.

Dh had it done the same day our youngest had dental surgery. They sat on the couch together watching movies and getting their bags of frozen peas for each other, for 2 days. The third day, dh and I went dancing --no complications.

It's a minor office procedure, less complicated and will far less followup pain than a tooth extraction.

• turtle68
    January 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Ive known a couple...one had it bad and was laid up with severe swelling the other was back at work two days later.

Like all medical procedures everyone can have a different reaction.  Which is why their list of side effects are so wide.

• LindaClement
    January 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I said the same thing --but later came across a very sensible way to decide who would be the one surgically altered:

If the very worst happened, and you found yourself single again (widowed, whatever) would you NEVER have another baby, or maybe ever consider it again.

Whoever says 'never' should be altered. If it's both of you, go for the easiest procedure.

Quoting JCB911:

I agree that a vasectomy is far better than anything I could do.  And I won't.  I was stupidly on the pill when I was younger. Luckily I had no ill-effects - but I know better now.   It's either get snipped or stick with condoms.

Quoting Ziva65: