DOI:
10.1300/J015v27n03_06
Lisa Rubina & Nancy Felipe Russob 

pages 69-90

Publishing models and article dates explained
Version of record first published: 25 Sep 2008
Article Views: 162

Abstract

Unwanted pregnancy and abortion are common life events, and therapists are likely to work with clients who experience them. Legal abortion currently entails little physical or mental health risk; most women currently cope effectively with these life events without need of clinical intervention. But current abortion politics include efforts to make abortion a more threatening, stressful, and stigmatized experience and to create a “postabortion syndrome.” Using a stress and coping framework, we examine how antiabortion activists spread myths and misinformation aimed at women's appraisal processes, and discuss approaches therapists can use to enhance women's strategies for coping with abortion. We also discuss specific issues and useful techniques for counseling about abortion concerns, including cultural sensitivity and strategies for promoting positive sexual health.

What do you think poses more of a risk, the abortion itself or the stigma that many on the pro-life side of the house put on it and the woman?  

Replies

• rfurlongg
    January 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    This looks like an abstract from a study. Where is the methodology and conclusion?
  • LindaClement
    January 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I suspect being screamed at and called a murderer by total strangers is probably going to have a more deleterious effect on a woman's mental health than a therapeutic abortion.

• blues_pagan
    January 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I linked it since I didn't want to violate copyright laws.

Quoting rfurlongg:

This looks like an abstract from a study. Where is the methodology and conclusion?

• rfurlongg
    January 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    Thank you. I will read it.

Quoting blues_pagan:

I linked it since I didn't want to violate copyright laws.

Quoting rfurlongg:

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    January 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM

The tidbit you posted doesn't offer a solid conclusion IMO.

I don't feel any stigma because I terminated a pregnancy. I remember feeling very vulnerable after the abortion. The feelings I had weren't solely from the decision to terminate and actually following through. In my situation, after I was more stable, I owned my decision and embraced it.

• turtle68
    January 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

depends on the makeup of that particular woman.  Overall those who are contemplating an abortion do so willingly and want one...so I would go with the pro life is detrimental to the mental wellbeing of a woman getting one opposed to the actual abortion.

• slashteddy
    January 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    The stigma.
  • Kelseyciarah
    January 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Yeah, until you fast forward 30 years after the abortion, when the women FINALLY understands what she did.

I could see how it does not cause trauma mentally, because I'd bet over half the women getting abortions don't know what they are doing, its usually vaguely explained to them during the first visit and they think its nothing more than a period.

And I can ALSO see how the new legislation can make it MORE traumatic, a woman goes in selfishly and then has to see face to face what she is killing. Its a lot easier not to have a face to the life you are ending.

For my sister that holds true, she went in, got the cervidil, had the vaginal ultrasound and then CHANGED HER MIND after seeing her sweet little gummy bear, but it was TOO LATE at that point. Very heartbroken that she has to live with that, and that the child had to perish.

• frogbender
    January 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM

*extreme eye roll at the extreme assumptions*

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

Yeah, until you fast forward 30 years after the abortion, when the women FINALLY understands what she did.

I could see how it does not cause trauma mentally, because I'd bet over half the women getting abortions don't know what they are doing, its usually vaguely explained to them during the first visit and they think its nothing more than a period.

And I can ALSO see how the new legislation can make it MORE traumatic, a woman goes in selfishly and then has to see face to face what she is killing. Its a lot easier not to have a face to the life you are ending.

For my sister that holds true, she went in, got the cervidil, had the vaginal ultrasound and then CHANGED HER MIND after seeing her sweet little gummy bear, but it was TOO LATE at that point. Very heartbroken that she has to live with that, and that the child had to perish.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    January 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I think so.....

Quoting LindaClement:

I suspect being screamed at and called a murderer by total strangers is probably going to have a more deleterious effect on a woman's mental health than a therapeutic abortion.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN