survivorinohio
Hope for reformed felons A good thing or no?
January 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Canton to Allow Convicted Felons to work for City

Written by  Scott Jennings

(0 votes)

The city of Canton has decided to put out the "help wanted" sign...to convicted felons.

According to The Repository, Canton's Civil Service Commission accepted the recommendations from the city's Law Director Friday to allow convicted felons to apply for work with the city, and be hired if they are qualified.

Cincinnati and Cleveland had previously voted to allow convicted felons to work for their cities.

The move in Canton allows those with a criminal record to apply and examine for most positions, but background checks will still be issued, and those with a felony on their record will have to disclose it during an interview.

The administration will be able to consider factors like the nature of the offense, how long ago it took place, and steps taken by the offender for rehabilitation.

Replies

• survivorinohio
    January 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I think that this kind of policy change could give a lot of hope to a lot of people who really need it!

• IhaveHisjoy
    January 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I think it's a great idea. I also think felsons..once time served and off probation.. should be allowed to vote. And to take my thoughts a step further, nothing to do with this post, I also think there are quite a few illegal aliens that should be given citizenship.

• free1
    by free1
    January 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I think this is great for convicts or those who have felons.  Employment, can give them self- worth,  rehabilitation,  and job training skills.

• EireLass
    January 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I think it's fine. If the proposed job has nothing to do with what their felony crime was, why not. They could very well be the best applicant for the job.

BTW...I am a convicted felon, and never had a problem getting a job, keeping my CCL, voting, etc.

• radioheid
    January 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I see nothing wrong with it whatsoever, providing they thoroughly screen these folks and match them only with jobs that are low-risk for re-offense.

• Healthystart30
    January 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    Great idea! Anything to help people get on their feet sounds good to me.
  • Bigmetalchicken
    January 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I think it should depend on the felony.  Drug offenses, and theft, yeah, I could see those changing. But sex offenses, and violent offenses, I am more eh about.

• JTROX
    by JTROX
    January 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I think that is a good thing.  Once a criminal, does not mean always a criminal.  

• Princess_s21
    January 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM

absolutely good idea, many reformed felons go on to be good examples of people who contribute to society, you may even know some and you just dont know it, they may have made poor decisions at some time in their lives that doesnt mean they should all be condemned, it may also help people from going back to a life of crime because no one will hire them.

• Euphoric
    January 26, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Great idea.