Featured Posts
Ms.KitKat
In our Obsession to Combat Childhood Obesity
January 26, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Child eating disorders on the rise

By Cindy Harb, Special to CNN
updated 6:59 AM EDT, Wed August 22, 2012

Fat is the new ugly on the playground

A study conducted by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality showed that hospitalizations for eating disorders in children under 12 increased by 119% between 1999 and 2006. More recent numbers are unavailable, but experts say the problem isn't getting any better.

Children will come in to her office already showing signs of malnutrition, dietician Page Love says. They often have low energy levels and low iron counts and are reporting hair loss because of their extreme weight loss.

Most, like Smith, do not recognize that their restrictive habits are actually an eating disorder that could ultimately be fatal.

Dina Zeckhausen is a psychologist and founder of the Eating Disorder Information Network. She sees kids in third and fourth grade who are already worried about being fat.

"There is so much emphasis on obesity," Zeckhausen said, "that there's a danger that we are going to produce a lot of anxieties in kids around weight."

Zeckhausen says that starting overweight kids on diets can trigger an obsession with food that could lead to an eating disorder.

Replies

• rfurlongg
    January 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    Teaching healthy eating habits starts early. However, for those children that do become obese at young ages how do we as a society help them loose weight without instigating further health issues? The article presents a problem, but no solution.
  • Woodbabe
    January 26, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I wouldn't be so obsessive about them getting an eating disorder that I'd NOT put them on a diet...of real food, education and exercise.

If we stopped worrying so much about damaging these kids and present them with real information and genuine help, we might be able to save an entire generation of kids from an early death and miserable life.

• Ms.KitKat
    January 26, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Quoting rfurlongg:

Teaching healthy eating habits starts early. However, for those children that do become obese at young ages how do we as a society help them loose weight without instigating further health issues? The article presents a problem, but no solution.

I think the issue is that we as parents (in general) are so obsessed with the topic of childhood obesity that we unwittingly create eating disorders in our children. This article is not about obese chidlren, it's about how our obession with weight could have unintended consequneces. 

• Ms.KitKat
    January 26, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Quoting Woodbabe:

I wouldn't be so obsessive about them getting an eating disorder that I'd NOT put them on a diet...of real food, education and exercise.

If we stopped worrying so much about damaging these kids and present them with real information and genuine help, we might be able to save an entire generation of kids from an early death and miserable life.

I am sure "you" would not act in such a way but it is startling, to me that there is a sharp rise in eating disorders when all the media seems to promote is how fat our kids are.

• rfurlongg
    January 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    The article discusses societies obesession with obesity. It is a valid obesession imo opinion because of the shortened lifespan due to a myriad of health and emotional consequences of childhood obesity. Should we then not public discuss such a relevant issue? If we do not discuss the issue publicly how does the msg of the dangers of obesity as well as healthy lifestyle choices reach these children? The vast majority of childhood obesity starts at home, so they are not presented with healthy choices there.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting rfurlongg:

I think the issue is that we as parents (in general) are so obsessed with the topic of childhood obesity that we unwittingly create eating disorders in our children. This article is not about obese chidlren, it's about how our obession with weight could have unintended consequneces. 

• Ms.KitKat
    January 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM

That is not what I am saying at all. However, just watching televsion this morning- I have heard countless times about ways to get thin, ways to stay thin, exercise, low-fat foods, several diet programs were advertised, etc....... And of course a show on prime time "Biggest Loser."

Perhaps it is also prudent to discuss and consider the negative repercussions to our fat obsessed society- that people are dying of self-inflicted starvation.

Quoting rfurlongg:

The article discusses societies obesession with obesity. It is a valid obesession imo opinion because of the shortened lifespan due to a myriad of health and emotional consequences of childhood obesity. Should we then not public discuss such a relevant issue? If we do not discuss the issue publicly how does the msg of the dangers of obesity as well as healthy lifestyle choices reach these children? The vast majority of childhood obesity starts at home, so they are not presented with healthy choices there.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting rfurlongg:

• Woodbabe
    January 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Woodbabe:

I am sure "you" would not act in such a way but it is startling, to me that there is a sharp rise in eating disorders when all the media seems to promote is how fat our kids are.

Can you link me to some stats showing that eating disorders have recently spiked because of this?

• Woodbabe
    January 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM

More than those dying of obesity related disease/illness?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

That is not what I am saying at all. However, just watching televsion this morning- I have heard countless times about ways to get thin, ways to stay thin, exercise, low-fat foods, several diet programs were advertised, etc....... And of course a show on prime time "Biggest Loser."

Perhaps it is also prudent to discuss and consider the negative repercussions to our fat obsessed society- that people are dying of self-inflicted starvation.

• rfurlongg
    January 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    It certainly is a prudent discussion. But even in what you said "fat obesessed culture - that people are dying of self inflicted starvation." Statistics indicate that nearly 40% (35.9%, to be exact) is obese. Clearly we are much more fat than skinny. As you pointed out, our media and entertainment culture reflects that.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting rfurlongg:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting rfurlongg:

• brookiecookie87
    January 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM

The Solution is pretty simple. Educate kids about healthy foods and give them activities to do.

The problem we are seeing is because people want to use shame. When you use shame to try and fight the problem you will get teenagers (Maybe even kids) who develop eating disorders

Quoting rfurlongg:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN