Naturewoman4
The Murders of Teen's family by, Nehemiah Griego the son, in NM. What do you think our Courts should do with him?
January 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM

This is another one of those cases, that really has me asking myself, a lot of questions.  I was wondering what others thought about this case.  Was it Mental Illness?  What do we do with all these young kids that kill, mostly kill their families?  Should they be tried as an adult?  Here's some of the things that I just don't understand.

1.  The Uncle says the parents wouldn't allow him to play any violent video games.  Yet, I don't think that is the case or that parents are very careful these days with what movies they watch, video games they play.  As matter of fact, if I happen to be seeing a rated R movie, I see A LOT of young kids in there.  Sad.  Do you feel kids watching or playing violent movies or video games, can contribute to kids & violence?

2.  The teen planned on going to Wal-Mart to open fire on shoppers & have a shoot-out with the police.  What possesses anyone, yet alone a child to do this?  He's dad is a Pastor, the teen was home-schooled & very active in Church.  What happen to this teen?  I just don't understand this.  How can he kill his parents, & especially kill his siblings like that?

3.  The Uncle says that they believe differently about guns then a lot of Americans.  Since, the father was gone a lot, he taught his 15 yr how to shot a gun.  There were a lot of weapons, loaded inside the house & NOT locked up.  Why?  WHY would anyone do that?  The dad even had a AR-15 Assault Rifle.  umm  People that knew this teen said he was quite & courteous. 

4.  I'm not sure if this boy should be tried as an adult.  Be put into the system with other 'adult' criminals.  But, with what this teen did, how can he ever be safe in society again?  I don't feel he should be in the prison system.  He should be locked away & be given a chance to have all the resources available.  But, I don't believe he should be out anytime soon.  What do you think? 

Why do you think we are having SO many of our young people doing such horrible crimes?  What do you think we as a society can do to help with this problem?  I know No. 1 PARENTS need to start being better parents. 

Replies

• rfurlongg
    January 24, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Children, imo, should NEVER be tried as adults. In no other aspect of our society do we treat children as adults. Our judicial system should be no different. HOwever, I acknowledge our current juvie system is dangerously lacking in many, many, areas and in desperate need of reform. 

I do not know what prompted his violent and deathly rampage. We may never know but I suspect there is a back story. 

• Naturewoman4
    January 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I agree, although I personally don't call a boy say 15-17 yr. old a child.  He imo, is old enough to be accountable for his actions.  I just can't understand anyone taking the lives of their family.  Especially, their siblings.  How could he of done that?  How could anyone look their child or sibling in the eye & just point blank shoot them?  I feel something is terribly off with this teen & I feel he had/has no feelings for his family.  Also, the lives of anyone else.  Because, he also wanted to go to Wal-Mart & shoot shoppers there as well.     

Quoting rfurlongg:

Children, imo, should NEVER be tried as adults. In no other aspect of our society do we treat children as adults. Our judicial system should be no different. HOwever, I acknowledge our current juvie system is dangerously lacking in many, many, areas and in desperate need of reform. 

I do not know what prompted his violent and deathly rampage. We may never know but I suspect there is a back story. 

• survivorinohio
    January 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Quoting rfurlongg:

I totally agree. Nothing about how a childs hrain chemistry even works like an adult,.

I am sure there is a back story, maybe someday we will learn it .

I think this kid should be under supervision forever probably, but not in a prison.

• Naturewoman4
    January 24, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I'm not sure about that.  Maybe, when they are younger yes.  I also disagree, what he did was so vicious, that he should be in prison along with other kids that commit crimes like this.  I guess that's 'Juvie'? But, not just be supervised.  If let out, I believe he would commit another crime just as horrible.  Maybe, being locked up away from society, & receiving counseling, then one day he can be released, idk.  That's the problem with criminals & ANYONE that commits crime.  Most repeat crimes & do commit even worse crimes.

I also very with the fact the father had so many guns, even an assult weapon.  Then, his Uncle saying that in 'their culture'?  they believed the oldest defends the family.  Therefore, the father left the guns out & loaded.  Sorry, but I wonder about the boy's upbringing.  The father was gone all the time.  Maybe, it was some type of rebellion. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting rfurlongg:

I totally agree. Nothing about how a childs hrain chemistry even works like an adult,.

I think this kid should be under supervision forever probably, but not in a prison.

• survivorinohio
    January 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I think that he needs therapy and maybe meds and that doesnt happen in prison.  The mentally ill end up in solitary confinement or segregation and isolation makes them crazier.

Something happened with this kid.  I need a lot more details before I could level judgement as to what should happen to him. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I'm not sure about that.  Maybe, when they are younger yes.  I also disagree, what he did was so vicious, that he should be in prison along with other kids that commit crimes like this.  I guess that's 'Juvie'? But, not just be supervised.  If let out, I believe he would commit another crime just as horrible.  Maybe, being locked up away from society, & receiving counseling, then one day he can be released, idk.  That's the problem with criminals & ANYONE that commits crime.  Most repeat crimes & do commit even worse crimes.

I also very with the fact the father had so many guns, even an assult weapon.  Then, his Uncle saying that in 'their culture'?  they believed the oldest defends the family.  Therefore, the father left the guns out & loaded.  Sorry, but I wonder about the boy's upbringing.  The father was gone all the time.  Maybe, it was some type of rebellion. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting rfurlongg:

• TranquilMind
    January 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Something went really wrong here.  I'm wondering if he was molested, abused, something horrible. 

This doesn't just happen in a vacuum. 

Why?  We need to know the real reason why he snapped in order to determine what should happen. 

• friendlymom5
    January 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM
    Anyone have a clicky link to story?
  • DawnPratt23
    January 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM
    Questions I have is why the father, a former gang member, who had a halfway house on his property could legally own guns in the first place. Why? Because he is the brother to former state Sen. Eric Griego. Good old boy state at its finest.

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/01/21/news/father-was-gang-member-turned-pastor.html
  • rfurlongg
    January 25, 2013 at 3:29 AM
    He is 15. He cannot drink, buy alcohol, buy firearms, vote, drive a car, open a credit card, etc... The frontal lobe of his brain, responsible for decision making, will not even be fully mylenated for almost another decade. He should not be tried as an adult.

As far the likelyhood of this happening again, no one really knows. We (media and the rest of us) do not have the relevant information or professional knowledge to even begin to grasp what truly occurred in that home.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I agree, although I personally don't call a boy say 15-17 yr. old a child.  He imo, is old enough to be accountable for his actions.  I just can't understand anyone taking the lives of their family.  Especially, their siblings.  How could he of done that?  How could anyone look their child or sibling in the eye & just point blank shoot them?  I feel something is terribly off with this teen & I feel he had/has no feelings for his family.  Also, the lives of anyone else.  Because, he also wanted to go to Wal-Mart & shoot shoppers there as well.     

Quoting rfurlongg:

• rfurlongg
    January 25, 2013 at 3:30 AM
    Yep. There is definitely a back story.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Questions I have is why the father, a former gang member, who had a halfway house on his property could legally own guns in the first place. Why? Because he is the brother to former state Sen. Eric Griego. Good old boy state at its finest.

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/01/21/news/father-was-gang-member-turned-pastor.html