maciymommieof3
` Ignoring Threats, Doctors Do Third-Trimester Abortions
January 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM

'After Tiller': Ignoring Threats, Doctors Do Third-Trimester Abortions

PHOTO: (Clockwise from top left) Dr. Robinson, Dr. Sella, Dr. Carhart, Dr. Hern acknowledge publicly that they provide third-trimester abortions.

(Clockwise from top left) Drs. Susan Robinson, Shelley Sella, LeRoy Carhart, Warren Hern acknowledge publicly that they provide third-trimester abortions. (After Tiller)

By NANCY RAMSEY
Jan. 21, 2013

Spend 10 minutes on the phone with Dr. Susan Robinson, an obstetrician-gynecologist who specializes in providing women with third-trimester abortions, and the name Aron Ralston will invariably come up. He's the mountain climber who was trapped in a canyon in Utah after a boulder crushed his right hand. He was pinned down by the boulder for five days (the film "127 Hours" is based on his story) until he realized the only way he could get free would be to cut off his hand.

It's a graphic, horrific image, but Robinson says it's the best analogy she can think of to describe women who are pregnant in their third trimester and "have thought about it deeply, consulted their conscience, wrestled with the ethics, and decided the best thing for themselves and their families is to have an abortion."

"People think you choose an abortion like you choose red or green shoes, or a flavor of ice cream," Robinson told ABC News. "But in fact, they [the women I see] need an abortion the way Aron Ralston needed to cut his hand off."

Robinson is one of four doctors featured in the documentary "After Tiller," which screened at the Sundance Film Festival this past weekend. "A#Sundance first: security guards checking bags and wanding people before abortion documentary 'After Tiller,'" tweeted Sean Means, movie critic for The Salt Lake Tribune.

(Clockwise from top left) Drs. Susan... View Full Size
PHOTO: (Clockwise from top left) Dr. Robinson, Dr. Sella, Dr. Carhart, Dr. Hern acknowledge publicly that they provide third-trimester abortions.
After Tiller
(Clockwise from top left) Drs. Susan Robinson, Shelley Sella, LeRoy Carhart, Warren Hern acknowledge publicly that they provide third-trimester abortions.

Against Abortion, Ann Romney Calls It a 'Tender Issue' Watch Video

The film takes its name from Dr. George Tiller, a third-trimester abortion provider in Wichita, Kan., who was assassinated in May 2009 while attending church. Robinson worked with Tiller, as did Shelley Sella, who worked as a midwife before becoming a doctor and abortion provider, and is also featured in the film. The two now operate out of a clinic in Albuquerque.

"We learned at his knee," said Robinson, speaking of Tiller. "Kindness, courtesy, justice, love and respect are the hallmarks of a good doctor-patient relationship. People tell me every single day, 'Dr. Robinson, you've given me my life back.' For these women it is life or death. Many women try to self-abort. The less available it is, the poor will have the hardest time."

A Red-Hot Issue

If abortion is a hot-button political issue, then third-trimester abortion is red-hot, and such words as "kindness" and "respect" are not two that leap to mind for many people. The arrest two years ago of Philadelphia doctor Kermit Gosnell, accused of killing a woman with a lethal dose of Demerol, put a gruesome face on doctors performing third-trimester abortions. Police, searching his office, found what prosecutors called "a house of horrors," bags and bottles of aborted fetuses scattered throughout the building, a place where fetuses were delivered live and then killed with scissors.

Even many supporters of abortion rights draw a line at third-trimester abortions. A 2011 Gallup poll showed that making abortion illegal in the last trimester got strong support from both pro-choice (79 percent) and pro-life advocates (94 percent). Laws passed in 41 states prohibit abortions, except to protect the woman's life, after a certain point in the pregnancy, usually fetal viability (about 24 weeks). In the U.S., 88 percent of abortions are done in the first 12 weeks, according to the Guttmacher Institute; fewer than 1 percent are in the third trimester.

Replies

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    January 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM

There - highlighted in red - is the point of this whole post: She can't.  A healthy woman in her third trimester can not legally terminate a normal, healthy progressing baby.  It is illegal in *most* cases (there is always an exception that proves the rule).  There has to be a valid medical reason to abort in the third trimester.

Quoting 1REALQT:

I personally think that if a healthy woman in her third trimester can legally terminate a normal, healthy progressing baby, that we are not long from the "Mercy Killing" of newborns as young as 3 months old. I mean if the baby has truly been born into a horrible life of pain and struggle, why stop at the third trimester?

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    January 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM

No worries, I just didn't understand the point you were making.  Made me think of another time the body comes close to death: sneezing.  Your heart stops when you sneeze, or so I've been told.  Could be an old wives tale :).

Quoting 1REALQT:

I was only trying to point out that birthing a child, or having a child removed from a woman can be a life or death ordeal no matter the procedure. If I responded in a manner that you did not find acceptable, I apologize. 

Quoting LauraKW:

Ok?  Is that relevant to how vaginal birth and a major surgical procedure are vastly different to the body?

Quoting 1REALQT:

I was told by a mid wife that one of the most risky things to a woman is giving birth vaginally. A woman literally comes close to death due to the baby passing through the birth canal, it passes very close to an artery that can rupture and cause nearly instant bleeding out.
    Quoting LauraKW:

You understand that vaginal birth and a major surgical procedure are not the same thing, right?  RIGHT?

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

REALLY? ...

If a quick c-section would kill the mother, then the means it would take to "abort" the baby would be too much for the mother to handle, so your point is moot.

Quoting LauraKW:

What if the c-section would kill the mother?

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

This makes me sick.

And if its "deemed medically necessary" during the 3rd tri, deliver the baby by c-section and let it have a fighting chance to LIVE. What the fuck is wrong with people?!!!

Babies come out crying at that point, what kind of sick human being can cut the spine onf a crying preemie????!!!!! I think you have to be a sick human being to carry out abortion in general, but to do it to a kicking screaming, thoughtful fetus is FUCKING SICK.

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    January 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Some history (or maybe just lore) on the beginnings of Bless you! after sneezes.  During the bubonic plague, one of the first signs that you were infected was sneezing, and if you had the plague you were almost assuredly going to die.  So when someone sneezed those around them would say Bless you! because they pretty much knew you would be dead soon.

Quoting 1REALQT:

I thought that was the case as well, (sneezing) but when I spoke with my cardiologist, he explained it's not true. I said " then why do people say God bless you?" ....he said that is a blessing that you aren't catching a cold lol

Quoting LauraKW:

No worries, I just didn't understand the point you were making.  Made me think of another time the body comes close to death: sneezing.  Your heart stops when you sneeze, or so I've been told.  Could be an old wives tale :).

Quoting 1REALQT:

I was only trying to point out that birthing a child, or having a child removed from a woman can be a life or death ordeal no matter the procedure. If I responded in a manner that you did not find acceptable, I apologize. 

Quoting LauraKW:

Ok?  Is that relevant to how vaginal birth and a major surgical procedure are vastly different to the body?

Quoting 1REALQT:

I was told by a mid wife that one of the most risky things to a woman is giving birth vaginally. A woman literally comes close to death due to the baby passing through the birth canal, it passes very close to an artery that can rupture and cause nearly instant bleeding out.
    Quoting LauraKW:

You understand that vaginal birth and a major surgical procedure are not the same thing, right?  RIGHT?

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

REALLY? ...

If a quick c-section would kill the mother, then the means it would take to "abort" the baby would be too much for the mother to handle, so your point is moot.

Quoting LauraKW:

What if the c-section would kill the mother?

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

This makes me sick.

And if its "deemed medically necessary" during the 3rd tri, deliver the baby by c-section and let it have a fighting chance to LIVE. What the fuck is wrong with people?!!!

Babies come out crying at that point, what kind of sick human being can cut the spine onf a crying preemie????!!!!! I think you have to be a sick human being to carry out abortion in general, but to do it to a kicking screaming, thoughtful fetus is FUCKING SICK.

• mommajen32
    January 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    Take their licenses ....now. Beyond sick. In cases with severe medical condition is different than well....i don't want to birth and raise this baby or anyone else to either. It's called adoption. The baby is viable.
  • norahsmommy
    January 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    It is actually legal. They just have to have a 'medical reason'. But 'medical reasons' can be just about anything.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

IMO once that baby can live outside of your womb its no longer your choice to end its life. It's murder.

And it's illegal so I'm unsure how these people are in a movie bragging about their illegal activities...

• Aivlys_
    by Aivlys_
    January 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    This will always be murder in my eyes.... How horrible!