Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
FromAtoZ
Three people hurt when a firearm accidentally discharged at a gun show.
January 20, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Quote:

Three hurt in firearm accident at North Carolina gun show

Reuters â€“ 5 hrs ago

(Reuters) - Three people including a retired sheriff's deputy were wounded on Saturday at a gun show in North Carolina when a 12-gauge shotgun accidentally discharged as its owner was taking it out of its case, state officials said.

The incident comes as the country debates gun control and the rights of gun owners after a man armed with an assault rifle killed 20 first graders and six adults last month at an elementary school in Connecticut - the deadliest of a string of U.S. shooting sprees last year.

Saturday's shooting occurred when Gary Lynn Wilson, 36, of Wilmington, North Carolina, approached the entrance of the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh to have his personal firearm inspected.

The shotgun fired as he removed it from its case, according to a statement by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture, a host of the gun show.

Two patrons of the gun show were injured - a 50-year-old man and a 54-year-old woman - as was a 54-year-old retired Wake County Sheriff's deputy who was working at the show. None of the injuries were life-threatening, the statement said.

"They all were struck by birdshot from the gun," said Agriculture Department spokesman Brian Long.

The incident coincided with a day of rallies across the country by gun rights advocates who say the right to own firearms is under attack from President Barack Obama's proposals to reduce gun violence.

On Sunday, gun control advocates plan events at houses of worship to demand more gun regulation.

The North Carolina gun show will go ahead as planned on Sunday, but no private gun sales will be allowed and personal guns will not be allowed on the property.

(Reporting By Edith Honan in New York; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Eric Beech)

Replies

• LuvmyAiden
    January 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM

There are idiots in EVERY genre first of all. But with record crowds turning out at gun shows all over the country this weekend it was nearly inevitable to have an accident, despite the incredibly low amount of these kinds of accidents at gun shows and dealerships. Kinda like on Labor Day there are more car accidents and boating accidents because of the massive volume of people in the same place for the holiday and the partying and such. When you gather mass numbers you will get an idiot or two ,whether that is a gun show, car race or any other public event. The numbers just aren't on your side with mass gatherings like this, there is always the damn village idiot!

• smalltowngal
    January 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Quoting Imacakebaker:

I smell a plant.

I would hate to think this is a plant. I know my DH has taught gun safety to boyscounts and how nerve racking it was especially when one accidentally pointed a loaded gun in his direction. This post makes me think how important gun safety classes truly are. 

• caito
    by caito
    January 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Those fairgrounds are ten minutes from my house lol.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    January 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Quoting Imacakebaker:

I smell a plant.

AT three different gun shows? And maybe more?

http://www.startribune.com/nation/187611351.html

LOL.....sidesplittinglaughter

Admit it, these people are not too smart. Gun Shows and the people at the shows are all missing a few marbles.Their elevators don't reach the top floor. The porch light is on ,but nobody's home. Their Happy Meal is missing a few fries. NOT playing with a full deck.

• DSamuels
    January 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM
    And how many gun shows are there every weekend with NO incidents and NO injuries? Hundreds I'm sure, but they don't make the news.

I feel sorry for you, you have such a low opinion of people.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

I smell a plant.

Admit it, these people are not too smart. Gun Shows and the people at the shows are all missing a few marbles.Their elevators don't reach the top floor. The porch light is on ,but nobody's home. Their Happy Meal is missing a few fries. NOT playing with a full deck.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    January 21, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I have to say that stupid people who can't handle their guns don't deserve any respect. They need guns because they don't trust anyone and feel that there are threats out there . A a result,they feel a need to possess weapons. And they gather together and they show their weapons and they feel that they are a member of a special group. And they all feel the need to own or collect guns. Guns were invented to shoot and kill people. I don't see that as a respectable or mentally healthy way to live.

The people I like and respect are educated, hard working, mentally healthy ,intelligent people who are strong and trust people to such an extent that they do not NEED guns. THEY are the people I admire and want to associate with.

Quoting DSamuels:

And how many gun shows are there every weekend with NO incidents and NO injuries? Hundreds I'm sure, but they don't make the news.

I feel sorry for you, you have such a low opinion of people. WRONG.....

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

I smell a plant.

• jllcali
    by jllcali
    January 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM
    If you are scared of guns, don't go to a gun show.

Alcohol kills more people, whether directly or indirectly than firearms.

Auto collisions (even if you take out the alcohol related ones as those would be covered in the sentence above) kill more people than firearms.

You are more likely to die at the hands of a physician due to malpractice than die of an accidental shooting.

More people die of assault with either bare hands or blunt objects than firearms.

I have known several victims (not including patients) of violent crimes, to include murder and rape, none of those crimes involved a firearm, and none of the victims were armed with a firearm. 2 had a stun gun, which did not stop the attacker. Of the people I know who are armed, none have been victims of violent crimes.

If it really was about preventing deaths, then alcohol, vehicles, physicians, hands and blunt objects should be outlawed or legislated excessively long before firearms should.
  • Simmeringhearts
    January 21, 2013 at 6:47 AM

The stupid is those in favor of more gun control.

Quoting kjbennett26:

Cant fix the stupid.... Yet another reason I hate NC

• Imacakebaker
    January 21, 2013 at 8:50 AM

3 in a row, during a debate about gun control.  Yeah, I smell three plants.  How long did we go without incident, then suddenly.... oh my shootings at big bad gun shows.  Give me a break.  I don't buy it.  I think they were planned.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

I smell a plant.

• edelweiss23
    January 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    Why didn't the guy unload it before he put it away????
    Why didn't he check the gun before he put his finger on the trigger???

Oy vey.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts