Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
futureshock
Why Is Pushing Creationism So Damn Important to Wingnuts?
January 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM

This is a title from an article which you can read if you click on the link:

Why Is Pushing Creationism So Damn Important to Wingnuts?

However I wanted to discuss the actual question.  Why is it so important for some to push Creationism and to deny Evolution?

Replies

• LindaClement
    January 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM

clapping

I cannot believe you're forging through this unbelievably dense underbrush. You have more fortitude than I, ma'am!

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting cammibear:

What you assess as reliable or unreliable is based on your presuppositions. Why do you deny that?

The reliability of a process is objective not subjective.   You can stick a number on it, and different people can agree on the number.

Suppose you want to compare two methods of predicting which side will win a battle.

Method One - count the number of soldiers on each side, and predict the side with more soldiers will win

Method Two - look at the shape of the clouds, and search for cloud formation that look like symbols of victory near formations that look similar to the national symbols of one of the two sides in the battle

Take 10 groups, train them identically in how to use both methods, then set each group to predict the outcome of 10 different battles by each method (giving you 100 predictions in total, for each method).

After the battles are all over, count up how many predictions were correct, for each method.    There should be a fair degree of agreement, between all 10 of your trained groups, on how reliable each of the two methods is.

• cammibear
    January 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    Lol I suppose I should be intimidated by all the snarky comments from you and others.

But I'm not. Nothing you say can undermine the rationality and consistency of my worldview. :)

Quoting LindaClement:

clapping

I cannot believe you're forging through this unbelievably dense underbrush. You have more fortitude than I, ma'am!

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting cammibear:

What you assess as reliable or unreliable is based on your presuppositions. Why do you deny that?

The reliability of a process is objective not subjective.   You can stick a number on it, and different people can agree on the number.

Suppose you want to compare two methods of predicting which side will win a battle.

Method One - count the number of soldiers on each side, and predict the side with more soldiers will win

Method Two - look at the shape of the clouds, and search for cloud formation that look like symbols of victory near formations that look similar to the national symbols of one of the two sides in the battle

Take 10 groups, train them identically in how to use both methods, then set each group to predict the outcome of 10 different battles by each method (giving you 100 predictions in total, for each method).

After the battles are all over, count up how many predictions were correct, for each method.    There should be a fair degree of agreement, between all 10 of your trained groups, on how reliable each of the two methods is.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN