Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
little.worthen
picture of a man in JCPenney with a rifle goes viral **pic added**
January 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM

RIVERDALE — The gun debate continues to rage, and one man has gained a lot of attention. A picture of him wearing a rifle inside the Riverdale JC Penney has gone viral.

The picture received more than 10,000 comments on the KSL Facebook page with people wondering who the man is and why he carried a rifle into a public store.

The man is Joseph Kelley, and he says he did it to show that weapons aren't that bad, but he didn't expect this type of reaction.

Cindy Yorgason took the picture while she was waiting in line to return an item at JC Penney on Thursday. She saw him and noticed other people looking at him, so she snapped a picture on her cell phone. She posted the picture on her Facebook page and people went crazy.

Yorgason says she never felt threatened by the man, but believes a place like JC Penney is an inappropriate place to bring a weapon.

"There are just other ways that are a better way to take a stance," Yorgason said.

Other people that commented on the picture had different opinions about the man carrying his rifle in public. Joe Herbalist says that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. He also says that he is a peace abiding citizen.

Mike Ford says, "If he's going to carry his weapon around he needs to be mindful about not just his own safety, but others around him."

Kelley was not asked to leave the store, and he was not arrested. Riverdale police said that they never received one phone call about the man being in the store with a gun.

This is from ksl.com

Replies

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    January 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    Thet can havemy TV. They wouldn't be able to find my silver :-) I wouldn't shoot anyone and I'd tell them to take it and leave before the cops arrive. Material goods are not worth shooting or killing people for.
    All these things are just lame justifications for buying guns and planning to shoot it.

Quoting jllcali:

Burglars do not care about alarm systems. Even if there is a rapid police response in the area, 3-5 minutes is more than plenty of time for a burglar to get in and grab valubles.

Don't believe me, try it yourself. Time how long it takes from the time you open your door and run to all your valubles. A burglar who does it for a living will be efficient and have a good idea of the layout of the house (unless you have a really old or really custom built house) they do their homework. How long do you think it takes to smash a window? Unplug a TV? Pick up one of those little safes you can buy at walmart? Throw silverware in a bag?

Quoting lga1965:

I read it but I find it hard to believe.

Quoting starri33:

It would be so nice if you were to really, really read what you just wrote, did you not read what funglemuggle wrote? she has a system, it worked as far as alerting someone to the crime in progress happening, where it didn't work is stopping it from happening.

Quoting lga1965:

I am guessing that you do not know how a Security System works .

Its wired into your home. It emits a high pitched, extremely loud sound from a siren  , an alert, if anyone tries to kick open a locked door or a window and the police are alerted and are there within minutes and by then the criminals know they have been discovered and they have alrrady left ....the systems WORK!

Really...I think most people know this but they prefer not to admit that they are efficient because they would rather own guns and use them.

Quoting funglemuggle:

You do not know anything about me.
    And ftr I live in a pretty safe area and have adt.
    They still kicked in my door. It took the police 25 minutes to I arrive. By then they stole what they needed and were gone.
    A security system does nothing when someone is there. In your home.
    You could live in the most upscale area and someone could still kick in your door.
    But continue living in your a security system and a nice neighborhood will protect me world..I was you once.

And PS. I do have a dog. Know what they did? Put him in his cage.

Quoting lga1965:

How about having a SECURITY SYSTEM and living in a nice peaceful area?That's too easy,huh?

Quoting funglemuggle:

Makes no sense. People still break into homes and people still want to kill people.

I hope you're never smack dab in the middle of someone tryig to harm you.

I have been a victim of a home invasion. Its a helpless feeling. I wish I had a gun then. Now I do. Oh well

Quoting lga1965:

Finally, someone one who makes sense!

Most everything is illogical that comes out of gun owners' mouths. Anything to defend their ownership of guns. Doesn't matter that we no longer need  Militias whose members have the right to bear arms......

Quoting momto3B:

Can we please end the "car / gun" comparisions?

A car is a tool created with the intention of transporting people and things, that can be used intentionally or accidentally as a weapon.

A gun on the other hand is a tool created with the intended purpose of  killing, be it animals or people either in self defense or acts of aggression. 

The comparison is illogical. 

Quoting funglemuggle:

Guns are not dangerous. Its the person that uses them in bad ways that are

Just like its not the car that kills but the reckless driver that does.

Quoting nb34:

Oh and he did it "to show that weapons aren't that bad"? Why doesn't somebody use that weapon on him to show him exactly how bad weapons are? Asshole!

• starri33
    January 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Hmmm, it's ok if they break in your house as long as they only steal the TV.. do you really, really think that they would stop at your TV if you told them to take it? just saying that is going to make them look harder, maybe even God forbid, hold a knife to your throat and make you show them where the silver is, Have you noticed how frequently car alarms go off without there being a issue? how about business alarms? cops tend to take their sweet time in responding to a house alarm if the thing keeps going off and there is no issue.. kinda like that story of the boy who cried wolf.  Were you aware of the fact that people do not want to get involved to the point that if your being raped, yelling FIRE will get their attention quicker than help me I'm being raped ?, While I would agree with you that material goods are not worth shooting someone over, my life is, your life is, if a person breaks into your home, knowing that your alone and have access to a phone, what are the odds that they are simply there to take your TV,  and heck if you believe that their going to take your recommendation on just taking your TV, why are you hiding the silver?  Thet can havemy TV. They wouldn't be able to find my silver :-) I wouldn't shoot anyone and I'd tell them to take it and leave before the cops arrive. Material goods are not worth shooting or killing people for.
    All these things are just lame justifications for buying guns and planning to shoot it.

• starri33
    January 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Have you been robbed before and the cops able to stop it?

Quoting lga1965:

• jllcali
    by jllcali
    January 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    I wouldn't shoot anyone over my TV either. But your argument against guns claiming alarm systems work is flawed. Yes, they are a deterrent. But not a barrier. They are not even an effective obstacle. I mentioned timing yourself doing all those things to illustrate that a lot can happen in 3-5 minutes, which is significantly less than most neighborhoods have, even the nice ones.

And alarm sytems add to the response time because they attempt to contact the client before alerting the police. Which adds more minutes to the time. I know from personal experience. I have lived in places with alarm systems.

Quoting lga1965:

Thet can havemy TV. They wouldn't be able to find my silver :-) I wouldn't shoot anyone and I'd tell them to take it and leave before the cops arrive. Material goods are not worth shooting or killing people for.

Quoting jllcali:

Burglars do not care about alarm systems. Even if there is a rapid police response in the area, 3-5 minutes is more than plenty of time for a burglar to get in and grab valubles.

Don't believe me, try it yourself. Time how long it takes from the time you open your door and run to all your valubles. A burglar who does it for a living will be efficient and have a good idea of the layout of the house (unless you have a really old or really custom built house) they do their homework. How long do you think it takes to smash a window? Unplug a TV? Pick up one of those little safes you can buy at walmart? Throw silverware in a bag?

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting starri33:

It would be so nice if you were to really, really read what you just wrote, did you not read what funglemuggle wrote? she has a system, it worked as far as alerting someone to the crime in progress happening, where it didn't work is stopping it from happening.

Quoting lga1965:

I am guessing that you do not know how a Security System works .

Its wired into your home. It emits a high pitched, extremely loud sound from a siren  , an alert, if anyone tries to kick open a locked door or a window and the police are alerted and are there within minutes and by then the criminals know they have been discovered and they have alrrady left ....the systems WORK!

Really...I think most people know this but they prefer not to admit that they are efficient because they would rather own guns and use them.

Quoting funglemuggle:

You do not know anything about me.
    And ftr I live in a pretty safe area and have adt.
    They still kicked in my door. It took the police 25 minutes to I arrive. By then they stole what they needed and were gone.
    A security system does nothing when someone is there. In your home.
    You could live in the most upscale area and someone could still kick in your door.
    But continue living in your a security system and a nice neighborhood will protect me world..I was you once.

And PS. I do have a dog. Know what they did? Put him in his cage.

Quoting lga1965:

How about having a SECURITY SYSTEM and living in a nice peaceful area?That's too easy,huh?

Quoting funglemuggle:

Makes no sense. People still break into homes and people still want to kill people.

I hope you're never smack dab in the middle of someone tryig to harm you.

I have been a victim of a home invasion. Its a helpless feeling. I wish I had a gun then. Now I do. Oh well

Quoting lga1965:

Finally, someone one who makes sense!

Most everything is illogical that comes out of gun owners' mouths. Anything to defend their ownership of guns. Doesn't matter that we no longer need  Militias whose members have the right to bear arms......

Quoting momto3B:

Can we please end the "car / gun" comparisions?

A car is a tool created with the intention of transporting people and things, that can be used intentionally or accidentally as a weapon.

A gun on the other hand is a tool created with the intended purpose of  killing, be it animals or people either in self defense or acts of aggression. 

The comparison is illogical. 

Quoting funglemuggle:

Guns are not dangerous. Its the person that uses them in bad ways that are

Just like its not the car that kills but the reckless driver that does.

Quoting nb34:

Oh and he did it "to show that weapons aren't that bad"? Why doesn't somebody use that weapon on him to show him exactly how bad weapons are? Asshole!

• jllcali
    by jllcali
    January 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Oh, btw, it can take less than 15 seconds to render someone unconscious using the sleeper hold. Someone intent on doing you harm can simply enter your house and render you unconscious after you turn off the alarm and take their sweet time doing whatever the hell they want.
  • starri33
    January 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

My sister in law, had her house robbed while she and her husband were at work, had every window and door in the alarmed with a excellent alarm system, every window but the bathroom, it's window was only about 10 inches wide, it was make in two pieces, the one piece that slid and the one that was stationary, the creeps in her area (upscale part of Desert Hot Springs there in CA) were sliding kids through the windows, teaching them how to steal.

• specialwingz
    January 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I saw a toy one that looked exactly like that at Walmart the other day.  How do we know it's real?

• Lizard_Lina
    January 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    Lmao was it a bit obvious?

Quoting pamelax3:

Lol! I am guessing you are being sarcastic!

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Omg it doesn't?! Didn't you know guns kill people?! And the kind he has causes mass murders! All by itself! Turns the gun owner bananas! Plus he's a white guy, those people were lucky to make it out alive!

Quoting pamelax3:

Well that is because he was not a threat, just because you have a gun does not make you a threat to other people

• pamelax3
    January 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Yes! But you never know with some people on here..LOL  

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Lmao was it a bit obvious?

Quoting pamelax3:

Lol! I am guessing you are being sarcastic!

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Omg it doesn't?! Didn't you know guns kill people?! And the kind he has causes mass murders! All by itself! Turns the gun owner bananas! Plus he's a white guy, those people were lucky to make it out alive!

Quoting pamelax3:

Well that is because he was not a threat, just because you have a gun does not make you a threat to other people

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN