survivorinohio
Teacher To Carry Weapon At Orrville High School
January 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Teacher To Carry Weapon At Orrville High School

Written by  Amani Abraham

The Orrville school board unanimously approved arming a teacher who is also a Lawrence Twp. officer.

The Beacon Journal reports the board voted to allow the veteran teacher and police officer to carry a concealed firearm in the high school following the deadly shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.

School officials say they have had a lot of support from the community, but some people still have reservations about the decision to arm Bill Yerman.

The school board president says this is a unique situation and believes he will be less "intimidating" in comparison to the average police officer.

Replies

• pamelax3
    January 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I think it is a good idea to have at least one person armed in a school

• Euphoric
    January 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM

bump

• survivorinohio
    January 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Quoting Euphoric:

bump

So what do you think?  l think having a teacher armed could be a great thing if it were someone who had the skill training and psychological make up to use it wisely/  Thats a lot of ifs though...

• AutymsMommy
    January 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I'm largely against arming regular school staff.

However, I think the PERFECT compromise is something like this (in the article).

My dd's fourth grade teacher (when she was still in brick and mortar school) was a semi-retired police officer with over 20 years on the force. I know he was semi retired and not fully retired because he often missed school when he needed to be in court, lol.

I would have had NO reservations about him carrying a weapon on him.

Okay. One reservation. Especially on a high school level. I would be concerned that this teacher wouldn't be able to carefully guard his weapon AND teach. Let's face it, there are some very troubled teens out there.

• Euphoric
    January 18, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Euphoric:

bump

So what do you think?  l think having a teacher armed could be a great thing if it were someone who had the skill training and psychological make up to use it wisely/  Thats a lot of ifs though...

I agree.