Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
candlegal
Y'all come to Texas, state official tells New York gun owners
January 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM

(Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has a message for New York gun owners: Come to Texas, and bring your guns with you.

"Texas is better than New York, and New York just gave us another excuse to say that," Abbott, a Republican, said on Thursday, after ads extolling Texas appeared on several media websites.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, signed sweeping gun-control legislation earlier this week expanding the state's ban on assault weapons and putting limits on ammunition capacity in the wake of last month's school shootings in Connecticut.

Abbott, a possible candidate for governor of Texas in next year's election, used campaign money to buy ads on websites of news organizations in New York City and Albany.

One ad says in classic Western script: "WANTED: Law abiding New York gun owners seeking lower taxes and greater opportunities."

Clicking on the ad leads to a Facebook page touting the virtues of Texas, including the fact that the state has no income tax so "you'll be able to keep more of what you earn and use that extra money to buy more ammo."

Abbott told Reuters the ads are a "way to tweak our liberal friends up in the Northeast."

"It is tongue in cheek, but there is a deeper message here," he said. "Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country. Over the last decade, more than 4 million people moved to this state, and one reason is freedom and one reason is economic opportunity."

Abbott has said he will file a federal lawsuit to throw out any nationwide gun restrictions implemented by Congress.

A Cuomo spokesman did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

(Editing by Corrie MacLaggan and Jackie Frank)

source

Replies

• pvtjokerus
    January 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM

"Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country."

• candlegal
    January 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Yes it does and right now seems to be a really good time to be in Texas.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

"Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country."

• pansyprincess
    January 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    Yes please! Move to Texas! Then can Texas please secede?
  • Whaaaaaa....O.o
    January 18, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    Quoting pansyprincess:

Wow. That's a jerk move.
  • pansyprincess
    January 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM

OMG this made me laugh out loud!  Texas is like the joke of this country ... between their textbooks for school, their constant desire to secede, their insane law makers ... hahah ... you are too funny!

We'll keep Austin ... the rest of Texas can go!

Quoting pvtjokerus:

• pansyprincess
    January 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Why?  Texas is constantly saying how they want to secede ... I saw let 'em! 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Wow. That's a jerk move.

• talia-mom
    January 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    Not really, but don't let facts get in the way of you starting a bashfest.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Wow. That's a jerk move.

• GLWerth
    by GLWerth
    January 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM

They can declare themselves the "Gun totin' Republic of Jesusland" and we can arrange an airlift for the sane people to get out before all hell breaks loose in there.

Though, I'd feel sorry for those in neighboring states, as their air quality would suffer quite a bit as there would be no regulations in the GTRoJ and there would be a lot of toxic runoff into the Gulf.

DH is in Dallas right now and he says it is the most awful city he's ever been in....and that includes Bangkok, Mexico City, and Shanghai.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Wow. That's a jerk move.

• Whaaaaaa....O.o
    January 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    Quoting pansyprincess:

Actually, no, no we aren't. There is a very small, very loud group of people who are misinformed who hell about it. The majority of us texans realize that secession is not a possibility, and that any secession by any state will lead to another civil war.

But you go ahead and believe the stereotypes if it makes you sleep better at night.
  • pansyprincess
    January 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM

haha ... You couldn't pay me to live in Texas.  I live about as far as I can ... and I'm very happy to never go anywhere near it.  No, of course not EVERY person wants to secede, and not EVERY person is a gun totin' republican who wants to see them teach the bible in school and deny evolution ... but how many DO?  It's the people YOU ALL elect that are putting forth these types of laws and ideas ... so a damn good amount of y'all must agree.

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Actually, no, no we aren't. There is a very small, very loud group of people who are misinformed who hell about it. The majority of us texans realize that secession is not a possibility, and that any secession by any state will lead to another civil war.

But you go ahead and believe the stereotypes if it makes you sleep better at night.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN