KenneMaw
Would you tell your doctor that....
January 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM

...you own guns, if you were asked?    Apparently, doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals are being trained to ask patients if they own guns and if so, do they also have young children or peopel in the househld that are mentally ill.  Now in theory, this sounds like a good idea, but what will they do with that information?  Give it to the police, child services, ????    Will the gun owners be placed on some type of watch list?    I honestly think if my health care provider asked me this question, I would not answer it.  

What you say if youi doctor asked if you had a gun in the house plus young children??

Replies

• Mom2Just1
    January 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I would answer honestly. We don't have guns and never will.  Some gun owners scare me.  This thread has not helped.  Paranoid people.

• PurdueMom
    January 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Quoting MrsImperfect:
    Quoting PurdueMom:

Then this is your opinion, not fact.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Majority of the united states is considered depressed and they are not deemed dangerous! Its common sense.

Quoting PurdueMom:

On what are you basing this information?  Cite specific language, not opinion, please.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Someone with basic depression is not dangerous. Thats a mental illness. Severe anxiety. Mental illness. If anyone has even the smallest non harmful mental illness and has weapons they need to be reported. Inatead of reporting someone with schizophrenia only. 

Since this is common knowledge and easily looked up yourself.... http://www.cdc.gov/features/dsdepression/

Most of the united states is depressed. But not half of the united states is dangerous.

again took me 30 seconds to look it up. What mental illnesses are deemed dangerous and not http://science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih5/mental/guide/info-mental-c.htm

I was treated for depression and anxiety. Im not dangerous. I have a slew of guns in my house. My husband was treated for a mental illness. Again we are not even close to being dangerous. Guns in the house. We go shooting and know how to use them properly too.  Our doctors never deemed us dangerous. Sad maybe but not dangerous. If all sad people were dangerous this world would be a very different place. I mean that just common sense. You dont need facts for that logic.

I was referring to what is in red.  THAT is your opinion, not fact. 

• autodidact
    January 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

being trained? 

mine have been asing that for years now. and they are not required to do anything with it.