Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
JCB911
What's the deal about teachers?
by JCB911
January 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Please explain what I'm missing here. I know I'm missing something, but I just can't seem to grasp it.

I'm in WI.  We just has an overhaul of our public workers' unions, including the teachers. Teachers now have to pay a small percent for their health insurance, and a small percent for their pension.  (less than 10% for both I think it's 6% of the premiums for insurance, and 8% for pensions, but not 100% sure).  And collective bargaining has ended, meaning teachers CAN be represented by a union, however the union doesn't have much say for anything other than salary raises up to a few percent per year.

So my middle-of-the-road-friend and I were talking about another "friend", we all went to school together.  My friend mentions our other friend, who is a teacher, is looking into quitting and going into another line of work b/c of the politics, b/c so much was taken away. My middle-of-the-road friend didn't elaborate, she doesn't like politics talk.

So I come home and look up other friend, public employees salaries are all accessible online.  She makes 43k and gets 31k in benefits - so while she makes 43k, she costs us 74k.  Pension, healthcare, sick days (I think WI teachers get like 12 or something crazy like that), vacation days,  I'm not sure how all of that addes up to 31k!   As a taxpayer I think that's crazy.  She gets paid a decent amount, nothing huge, not too low.  Certainly livable and then some - plus she doesn't have to save much for retirement since that nice cushy pension will be waiting for her.   I get that teacher is a job, some teachers have it harder than others, but almost all have about 3 months off during the year.  I get that while school is in session they might work more than 40 hr/wk, but I doubt they work so much more that it averages to 40hr/wk for 50 wks. (I doubt it's 2000 hrs, like a regular job).

I just hear so many teachers complain about their job and go on and on how hard it is to be a teacher. but I can't think it's much harder than any other job. And other jobs don't have summers off, and end with a cushy pension. 

What am I missing?  They lost a little in the union stuff that happened, but they used to not pay anything for their health and pension.  Don't they see that they had a ridiculousy sweet deal before and now they have just a sweet deal.  Don't they see they were taking advantage of the tax payers and now, well they still have a good job, with good ay and awesome benefits.

I was a TA while in grad school, I got my tution for free and got paid, like 5k - that was a sweet deal for the amount of work I did (very little).  I wouldn't have fussed if they cut my pay b/c I shouldn't have made that much to begin with.

Replies

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    January 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I'm just going to watch this one.

• TruthSeeker.
    January 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Quoting LauraKW:

I'll sit on your bench. I'm a little disgruntled with my daughters teacher right now, so I don't have many nice things to say about teachers.

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    January 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Bring cookies.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting LauraKW:

I'll sit on your bench. I'm a little disgruntled with my daughters teacher right now, so I don't have many nice things to say about teachers.

• Ms.KitKat
    January 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM

It's the same virus that has infected so many Americans. The Entitlement Virus.

• TruthSeeker.
    January 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Currently helping my daughter sell GS cookies so I got Thin Mints coming out of my ears! Got us covered.

Quoting LauraKW:

Bring cookies.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting LauraKW:

• JakeandEmmasMom
    January 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    I've never been a public school teacher, but I did homeschool my own three children for two years. My own children. Who I love, adore, and would throw myself in front if a speeding train for. Three. Not 23. Not 33. Three. It was an unbelievable amout of work preparing lesson plans, getting materials together, correcting work, figuring out different ways to teach concepts they were struggling with...I could go on. For every hour I spent actually teaching, I easily spent an hour and a half preparing. I didn't even have to deal much with discipline problem children. I didn't have to deal with obnoxious parents. I can't imagine being a public school teacher and having people who really have no clue what it takes to be a teacher looking at my middle class income and being told its too much. I can't tell you how enraged I would be.

It also occurs to me that we all like to say that our children are the most important things. How their educations should be our top priority. And then bitch about putting our money where our mouth is. Face it. Our kids really aren't that important. If they were, we wouldn't be complaining about paying our teachers a living wage.
  • romalove
    January 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Quoting LauraKW:

Bring cookies.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting LauraKW:

I'm furious with one of my daughter's teachers right now, so I'm bringing a large bottle of wine.  I will share.

• LauraKW
    by LauraKW
    January 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I have a large bottle of Moscato.  Is yours red or white?

Quoting romalove:

Quoting LauraKW:

Bring cookies.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting LauraKW:

I'm furious with one of my daughter's teachers right now, so I'm bringing a large bottle of wine.  I will share.

• Sagely
    by Sagely
    January 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    I'm a teacher.

I don't complain about my salary, but if anyone is offering me a raise...I'll take it.

Honestly, I wonder about those who are so bitter about what teachers make. It's not a secret. If someone really thought teaching was a "sweet deal," then why didn't they go for teaching??

Sometimes though, after having a rough day and needing to vent, not finding an ear of sympathy can contribute to burn out. Similarly, unrealistic expectations for us to produce geniuses out of jail birds with no resources can lead to burn out.

I don't judge anyone for their careers or for any efforts they might make to try to gain a higher salary or a better schedule. More power to you. I chose teaching because I wanted to. Not because I couldn't find anything else.
  • SWasson
    by SWasson
    January 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM

You have never taught a classroom full of children, huh?

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts