Veni.Vidi.Vici.
Walter Williams: The 2nd amendment is misunderstood by many Americans
January 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I've updated this to include the link because the video doesn't seem to be working. I also added this opposing opinion piece.

Columnist Williams' idea on Second Amendment are disturbing

8:10 PM, Jan 11, 2013   |  
Comments

Arguments put forth by writer Walter Williams recently in his editorial “Why the 2nd Amendment” (Jan. 4) are so disturbing, frightening even, that they must be answered. Hunting, recreational target shooting, self defense are all reasonable reasons for gun ownership. But should a reason be, as Professor Williams declares, for people to “preserve the spirit of resistance?” What? Against our own democratically elected government? This sounds ominously like treason — and something that was settled by the Civil War. What is he thinking of?

Our government in this country at all levels is not something imposed by some alien force! No, it has been elected by the will of the people. If some people don’t like the policies of a particular governmental body at any particular time, it is up to them to get busy and persuade others to their way of thinking and elect different representatives at the next election.

We don’t take up arms in this country because we happen not to like current governmental policies. Thank goodness! To think that a professor teaching at a major U.S. university would imply that resistance to our government is the real reason for the Second Amendment is downright scary.

If not so disturbing, his arguments would be seen as ridiculous. Were it actually to come to a group of citizens against the U.S. military, guess who would not have a prayer of a chance? Those people at Waco, Texas, a few years back learned the answer for sure. Professor Williams should concentrate on being an educator, not an agitator.

Rosemary Hajost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nddXe9o1z6k

Replies

• muslimahpj
    January 15, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Is there supposed to be an article or video? I got nothing.

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    January 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Quoting muslimahpj:

I guess I didn't link it right! Thanks! Sorry!

• muslimahpj
    January 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting muslimahpj:

I guess I didn't link it right! Thanks! Sorry!

LOL. No prob. I thought maybe it was my computer.