Guns. accidental shooting......boy dead
January 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM

12-year-old Missouri boy killed in accidental shooting

AP

Posted on January 14, 2013 at 5:17 AM

BRECKENRIDGE, Mo. (AP) -- A 12-year-old northwest Missouri boy is dead after accidentally shooting himself inside a home.

The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office says deputies were called to a home in Breckenridge around 8:45 p.m. Friday and found the child suffering from a gunshot wound.

Investigators say the boy was mishandling the gun when it went off. He was flown by helicopter to University of Kansas Medical Center where he died.

Breckenridge is a town of less than 400 people about 75 miles northeast of Kansas City.

Investigators say they haven't determined whether charges will be filed.

Replies

• jehosoba84
    January 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM

A 12 year old should know better.  It's a sucky thing to say, but it's true.

• mehamil1
    January 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Not if the kid didn't have a clue on how to handle a gun. I know I didn't at 12. I had never even seen a gun out of a police officers holster. 

Who's gun was it? How did the kid get at it? Why didn't that person demonstrate how to handle the gun properly? The blame rests with the owner of the damn thing. 

Quoting jehosoba84:

• jehosoba84
    January 14, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Quoting mehamil1:

Not if the kid didn't have a clue on how to handle a gun. I know I didn't at 12. I had never even seen a gun out of a police officers holster. 

Who's gun was it? How did the kid get at it? Why didn't that person demonstrate how to handle the gun properly? The blame rests with the owner of the damn thing. 

Quoting jehosoba84:

But even at 12, you knew a gun was deadly. And we do not have enough info on this story to determine if it was the gun owner's fault. The gun may have been hidden and the kid was snooping. Maybe the kid was educated on guns and decided to be irresponsible.

• Dee0886
    by Dee0886
    January 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    The parents should have properly educated their kid about the gun if they had it in the house.
  • Dee0886
    by Dee0886
    January 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    True. This story is very vague.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting jehosoba84:

But even at 12, you knew a gun was deadly. And we do not have enough info on this story to determine if it was the gun owner's fault. The gun may have been hidden and the kid was snooping. Maybe the kid was educated on guns and decided to be irresponsible.

• LittleBirdFly
    January 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM

how did he get his hand on the gun? Yes charges should be filed against the parents, they were careless!

• krysstizzle
    January 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    Yes, the 12 year old is obviously the one at fault here.

Gmafb.
  • ChancesMommy07
    January 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM

We have a safe full of guns and even though our son has been taught gun safety he still has no access to them and he is never going to be given the combintation to the safe that holds the guns or the smaller one with the ammo. 12 is old enough to know better than to touch a gun but then children are not always known for making great decisions, hence the reason they need parents.

• mehamil1
    January 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I don't think the 12 year old was like hey, I'll decide to be irresponsible today. I'm of the opinion that kids at most ages are really ignorant of a lot of things. Despite thinking they are bullet proof. Yet most of them survive.  12 year old boys do some really stupid things. So who knows what this kid was doing. 

There isn't enough info in this thing to determine what really happened. The kid could have been handling it responsibly but the gun was faulty and went off. It's happened before. Also, the media almost never gets all details right. 

Quoting jehosoba84:
    Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting jehosoba84:

• mehamil1
    January 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I did some pretty stupid things at 12. Mainly because I didn't know any better. If I had access to firearms I have no doubt I would have screwed around with them. I was such a little shit. Looking back on it I don't know how I survived my mother. I gave her more than enough reason to just drown me and be done with it. So maybe this kid was of the same kind of mindset. 

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

We have a safe full of guns and even though our son has been taught gun safety he still has no access to them and he is never going to be given the combintation to the safe that holds the guns or the smaller one with the ammo. 12 is old enough to know better than to touch a gun but then children are not always known for making great decisions, hence the reason they need parents.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts