Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
nb34
Funeral question?
by nb34
January 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM

My son's pre-shcool teacher lost her mother a few days ago. She is more than just a pre-school teacher, she also sometimes babysits for us. My sons really love her and we are almost friends but not close friends by any means. I did not know her Mom at all. They are holding a visitation on Monday and a service and funeral on Tuesday. Should I go to any of them? What is the norm? I was thinking to just go to the visitation with the older DS for a short while, but I really don't know what i should do. Any one knows about funeral etiquette?

Replies

• Euphoric
    January 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Quoting Peanutx3:

It is whatever you are comfortable with.

• JCB911
    by JCB911
    January 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM

My father passed one year ago this month (Jan 26th).  That is what we did as well.  He wasn't one to want a huge commmotion and neither did we to be honest.  Funerals can be what you want them to be - as little or as much, as long or as short. My Dad's visitation was from 5-7, service at 7. Food at the visitation.  He was buried at a later date (the following week).  Just my sister and I attended the burial.

I'm not sure if all in one day is a trend, i just think people are sick of doing the traditional thing just b/c it's traditional.  I think people are more likely to do their own thing nowadays.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

That is what we did for my Dad and my grandmother. Everything the same day.

Quoting ILive4This:

Since we're on the subject, I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this.  My son lost his best friend a couple weeks ago (24 yo :-( ).   They had the wake and funeral all in one day.  Wake from 10-2, funeral at 3, and then had all his friends to a dinner that evening.  I wondered if this was a new trend, b/c someone else I mentioned it to had been to something similar, recently.

• Debmomto2girls
    January 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    I agree. My Dad's was 13 years ago and my grandmother 8 years ago. We even did the burial the same day. Visitation and service was at the funeral home, they were both buried in a military cemetery and we had a late lunch at a restaurant nearby. They were both very low fuss people.

Quoting JCB911:

My father passed one year ago this month (Jan 26th).  That is what we did as well.  He wasn't one to want a huge commmotion and neither did we to be honest.  Funerals can be what you want them to be - as little or as much, as long or as short. My Dad's visitation was from 5-7, service at 7. Food at the visitation.  He was buried at a later date (the following week).  Just my sister and I attended the burial.

I'm not sure if all in one day is a trend, i just think people are sick of doing the traditional thing just b/c it's traditional.  I think people are more likely to do their own thing nowadays.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

That is what we did for my Dad and my grandmother. Everything the same day.

Quoting ILive4This:

Since we're on the subject, I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this.  My son lost his best friend a couple weeks ago (24 yo :-( ).   They had the wake and funeral all in one day.  Wake from 10-2, funeral at 3, and then had all his friends to a dinner that evening.  I wondered if this was a new trend, b/c someone else I mentioned it to had been to something similar, recently.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN