Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
nb34
Funeral question?
by nb34
January 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM

My son's pre-shcool teacher lost her mother a few days ago. She is more than just a pre-school teacher, she also sometimes babysits for us. My sons really love her and we are almost friends but not close friends by any means. I did not know her Mom at all. They are holding a visitation on Monday and a service and funeral on Tuesday. Should I go to any of them? What is the norm? I was thinking to just go to the visitation with the older DS for a short while, but I really don't know what i should do. Any one knows about funeral etiquette?

Replies

• Peanutx3
    January 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I would talk to your son and see if he wants to go to show his respect.  If he wants to go then go if he doesn't then I would send a card and flowers.

• UpSheRises
    January 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    I would attend the visitation.
  • Carmel63
    January 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I would attend the wake.

• nb34
    by nb34
    January 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Well you make a good point. He has not been to a wake before. He can sit there calmly and respectfully, but I am not sure how he would react if there is an open casket. I am not sure if I want to expose him to that quite yet. The othere funerals were different in nature, and he didn't see the bodies.

Quoting leavinglasvegas:

If he's been to funerals before and seemed ok with it, then take him if you think he'll be fine. Not sure if this is more of a wake where the body is in full view - and if he hasn't had that experience, it might freak him out. I've been to hundreds of wakes and it's still odd to me.  I understand the history of the practice....still weird to be doing it now, but whatever makes people feel better.

• OneToughMami
    January 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Go. Pay your respects. Leave. It's not rude and I am sure that she will appreciate it if you go.

• survivorinohio
    January 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I would make an appearance at the visitation.

• gcstar42
    January 13, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I think just going to the visitation would be fine. Or if for some reason you can't go, I think it would even be acceptable to just send some flowers or something like that. I would not go to the funeral though if you did not even know her.

• ILive4This
    January 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I'd go to the wake, not the funeral, and I wouldn't bring any kids.  You're representing your family, and since the kids don't know the teacher's mother, I wouldn't put them through it.

• ILive4This
    January 13, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Since we're on the subject, I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this.  My son lost his best friend a couple weeks ago (24 yo :-( ).   They had the wake and funeral all in one day.  Wake from 10-2, funeral at 3, and then had all his friends to a dinner that evening.  I wondered if this was a new trend, b/c someone else I mentioned it to had been to something similar, recently.

• SunFlower700
    January 13, 2013 at 6:38 PM

This.

Quoting leavinglasvegas:

I'd go to the visitation to pay respects on Monday. I wouldn't take older DS unless he's old enough to understand exactly why he is there.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN