Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
FromAtoZ
Being alone is such a sad way to live life.....
January 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Yep, that is what some one said to me today.

I have no interest in a boyfriend.  The term 'boyfriend' sounds so hilarious to me, at my age. lol   But any way, I am happy being without.  I am not lonely and I do not consider myself 'alone'.  I am actually very well adjusted without a man.  

But time and again I have people telling me they find it to be sad, that I choose to be alone, that I may very well be alone the rest of my life. 

Why?

What is wrong with a woman making the conscience choice not to be involved with someone?  Am I supposed to find some man?  Why?  What for?

I find it sad that people feel a woman needs a man to be complete.

Replies

• TCgirlatheart
    TC
    January 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    I think they're projecting. As long as you're happy, keep on keepin' on.
  • krysstizzle
    January 12, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    I think it's ridiculous people just assume a single woman must be sad and alone. Do they think you sit in your house in a dark room all day crying?

Shoot, I can't imagine having enough hours in the day even after my kids are gone from home and grown. Shoot, I could be set and content with books alone.
  • desertlvn
    January 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I think it is pathetic that people judge happy independent women. Life is often less complicated and less compromising without a SO. I know I'd rather have been single and happy than married and unhappy.

That said, my life is much more fullfilling with my DH in the picture. But not because I am "not alone", simply because my Dh brightens my life completely.

• TexanMomOf6
    January 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I like being without a partner. I don't have to check in with anyone, follow their schedule, ask their opinion, clean their clothes, cook dead animals, listen to their snoring, ask where the money went, deal with their family... the list does go on.

• JMmama
    by JMmama
    January 12, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I do think it is sad when people are alone. Truly alone. 

However, I also think it is sad when people consider someone to be alone simply because they are not involved in a romantic relationship. People with children, friends, family, etc (assuming those are healthy relationships) are not alone. 

• FromAtoZ
    January 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Quoting JMmama:

However, I also think it is sad when people consider someone to be alone simply because they are not involved in a romantic relationship. People with children, friends, family, etc (assuming those are healthy relationships) are not alone. 

I agree with you, as far as the truly alone.  No one should be truly alone.

My mother never re-married after my father.  I could understand why, considering their marriage, but I often wondered why she did not date.  She did, for a few years, but we knew the man as he was her first husband, prior to my father.  But other than that, no one.

She once told me she was content and her life was as she wanted it.  I didn't quite understand then.

Now, who knows if I may meet some one some day.  But I am certainly not looking and have no interest in making any time, or room, for some one.  

This is the first time, in my 48 years, that I am absolutely content.  I think some feel I am still traumatized from my marriage and divorce.  I want to giggle at them but I am kind.  That is not the deal at all.  I just have realized how happy I am doing my own thing when I want to with no input from another person.  Besides, I can't imagine bringing some one around my 13 year old.

Many women are happy without a man.  I can understand so much more than I was able to before.

• norwgnwood
    January 12, 2013 at 10:21 PM
    I agree with you.
  • Sisteract
    January 12, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Being all alone would be sad- few people are all alone. Even my elderly, frail, 85 yo widower uncle has his brother, my dad, to come pick him up off the floor at 3:30 in the morning (happened this week). Being without a man does not make a woman "alone".

• Sisteract
    January 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Exactly-

Quoting JMmama:

• Peanutx3
    January 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM

This

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

I think they're projecting. As long as you're happy, keep on keepin' on.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN