maciymommieof3
wow...won't be drinking this no more.
January 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Coca-Cola is successful new treatment for stomach blockages

Coca-Cola is successful new treatment for stomach blockages

• Diet Soda
    iStock

Doctors are using Coca-Cola to treat patients who have gastric phytobezoar – more commonly referred to as a stomach blockage, The Daily Telegraph reported.

The treatment is now being favored over surgery, as it has a success rate of more than 90 percent, according to researchers from Athens University, which detailed their findings in the journal Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.

Coca-Cola, along with the diet version and Coke Zero, have chemical ingredients that work the same way as gastric acid, and the carbonation helps move everything along.

A stomach blockage, often caused when some fruits do not digest, can ultimately lead to a bowel obstruction. Doctors can treat the ailment with lasers, endoscopies and surgery

According to the researchers, if drinking Coca-Cola does not fully destroy the mechanism causing the blockage, it will at least make it smaller, thus making it easier to remove through typical procedures.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/07/coca-cola-successful-new-treatment-for-stomach-blockages/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz2HoQBb1gX

Replies

• yourspecialkid
    January 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I can see how this would work.  We use coke to help settle the stomach when we have a barf bug...it has always been easier on mine than 7up/sprite.

• OneToughMami
    January 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Well, if you drink it you won't have to worry about constipation.

• TruthSeeker.
    January 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I can see how this would work.  We use coke to help settle the stomach when we have a barf bug...it has always been easier on mine than 7up/sprite.

It's what we use for barf bugs also.

• cueballsmom
    January 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    A yup. Drank a lot during the pregnancy that had me tossing cookies every hour. If not for coke, I would have starved! Lol!
  • SilverSterling
    January 12, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Honestly I am getting tired of the bad rap Cokes getting.. Diet soda in general is now linked to depression.. I know I am depressed if i dont get my Diet soda... BUT Coffee adds to your life and keeps you from being depressed so I figure between my diet coke and coffee addiction I am set for life... 

• MeAndTommyLee
    January 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM

A kindly old school ped that oversaw our children's health up until he retired told me to give a vomiting baby -- including infant and and child 2 ounces of coke to settle the stomach.  Worked every time.  Not a pop drinker myself at all, but when I have a stomach ailment , I do the same.  A lot of relief.

• blues_pagan
    January 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM

LOL oh yeah.  Coca Cola is used for many things.  Like cleaning out colostomy bags.  The acidity level in it is high enough that is degunks many things.

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    January 12, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Coke can also remove the finish/stain on a piece of furniture too...kinda scary.The only thing that settles my stomach is Ginger Ale.

• Rlmama00
    January 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Coke's original use was as a stomach aid. 

• vetNmommy
    January 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I know  when I was  a baby, (born  at 27 weeks, along  withmy twin sister) we had upset tummies  all the  time.   The NICU   docs would give  us  flattened   coke  to help settle  out tummies.  We have no issues from it, ect. It also worked.