Featured Posts
maciymommieof3
wow...won't be drinking this no more.
January 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Coca-Cola is successful new treatment for stomach blockages

Coca-Cola is successful new treatment for stomach blockages

• Diet Soda
    iStock

Doctors are using Coca-Cola to treat patients who have gastric phytobezoar – more commonly referred to as a stomach blockage, The Daily Telegraph reported.

The treatment is now being favored over surgery, as it has a success rate of more than 90 percent, according to researchers from Athens University, which detailed their findings in the journal Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.

Coca-Cola, along with the diet version and Coke Zero, have chemical ingredients that work the same way as gastric acid, and the carbonation helps move everything along.

A stomach blockage, often caused when some fruits do not digest, can ultimately lead to a bowel obstruction. Doctors can treat the ailment with lasers, endoscopies and surgery

According to the researchers, if drinking Coca-Cola does not fully destroy the mechanism causing the blockage, it will at least make it smaller, thus making it easier to remove through typical procedures.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/07/coca-cola-successful-new-treatment-for-stomach-blockages/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz2HoQBb1gX

Replies

• maciymommieof3
    January 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I remember hearing years ago that if you put a piece of raw meat into Coke, it will "eat it" up.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I've known for years that people use coca cola to clean car abtteries and toilets. It's not like it's been hush hush.

• maciymommieof3
    January 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM

so can Clinique's "Take the Day Off".... (makeup remover)

Quoting moneysaver6:

Wish I'd have known that before I sanded down a huge desk before refinishing it. :-)

Quoting lga1965:

Coke can also remove the finish/stain on a piece of furniture too...kinda scary.

• AdrianneHill
    January 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    I want to keep the bezoar. They keep poisons from killing you as well as a plethora of other uses as long as you don't mind using ancient superstitions as a way to protect yourself from ill health and other harm
  • AdrianneHill
    January 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    Yum, the ones that use real cane sugar are so good, they rock the mic. The cane sugar is less sweet and gives it a bite. The cane sugar Dr peppers are the best though. The best.

Quoting talia-mom:

having a Mexican Coke right now.

Delicious.

• fullxbusymom
    January 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Eh I don't care.  I will still be drinking my diet coke.

• littlesippycup
    January 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM

That's good to know!

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

A kindly old school ped that oversaw our children's health up until he retired told me to give a vomiting baby -- including infant and and child 2 ounces of coke to settle the stomach.  Worked every time.  Not a pop drinker myself at all, but when I have a stomach ailment , I do the same.  A lot of relief.

• littlesippycup
    January 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM

My son says if you leave it in strofoam it will start leaking through and eventually eat it too.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

I remember hearing years ago that if you put a piece of raw meat into Coke, it will "eat it" up.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I've known for years that people use coca cola to clean car abtteries and toilets. It's not like it's been hush hush.

• dawnie1
    by dawnie1
    January 14, 2013 at 7:34 AM

When I was a kid, our next door neighbor used coka-cola to clean his car motor. Just poured it on there, let it set awhile, gave it a scrub and rinsed or wiped it off. My mom never let us drink it again. We were a ginger ale only family after that. Now my kids are not allowed to drink Coke or Pepsi.

• kaylamom2004
    January 14, 2013 at 8:17 AM

LOL Shouldn't be drinking it anyway.

• Karen2313
    January 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Scary but doesn't surprise me. I've heard drinking too much coke can eat away at you stomach lining.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN