Featured Posts
maciymommieof3
wow...won't be drinking this no more.
January 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Coca-Cola is successful new treatment for stomach blockages

Coca-Cola is successful new treatment for stomach blockages

• Diet Soda
    iStock

Doctors are using Coca-Cola to treat patients who have gastric phytobezoar – more commonly referred to as a stomach blockage, The Daily Telegraph reported.

The treatment is now being favored over surgery, as it has a success rate of more than 90 percent, according to researchers from Athens University, which detailed their findings in the journal Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.

Coca-Cola, along with the diet version and Coke Zero, have chemical ingredients that work the same way as gastric acid, and the carbonation helps move everything along.

A stomach blockage, often caused when some fruits do not digest, can ultimately lead to a bowel obstruction. Doctors can treat the ailment with lasers, endoscopies and surgery

According to the researchers, if drinking Coca-Cola does not fully destroy the mechanism causing the blockage, it will at least make it smaller, thus making it easier to remove through typical procedures.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/07/coca-cola-successful-new-treatment-for-stomach-blockages/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz2HoQBb1gX

Replies

• LaughingTattoo
    January 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM

My former manager told me to drink coke for my morning sickness. Had never heard of this but its worked like a charm. It also helps me when I have painful gas :)

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    January 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

Awesome now my bros bm(babymama) can get the shit outta her head lol

ummmm, what?

• futureshock
    January 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM

What about this article makes you not want to drink Coke?

P.S.  Your title technically means that you will be drinking coke.

• Carpy
    by Carpy
    January 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Why not?

• AliKatAK47
    January 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I used coke to strip the paint off of cars.  I haven't drank it since I was a little girl and my grandpa had it in a gasoline container and was using it as a paint thinner.  Never again.

• MeAndTommyLee
    January 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I believe it.  It really does work like a charm.  We don't drink pop too much ever mostly because DH and I were never pop drinkers.  Now every time one of the kids walks in a sees a bottle of Coke they ask, "who's sick..?"  LOL

Quoting EireLass:

40-50 years ago, people would go to the pharmacy and get a bottle of cola syrup for their babies and kids.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

A kindly old school ped that oversaw our children's health up until he retired told me to give a vomiting baby -- including infant and and child 2 ounces of coke to settle the stomach.  Worked every time.  Not a pop drinker myself at all, but when I have a stomach ailment , I do the same.  A lot of relief.

• maciymommieof3
    January 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM

LOL.............really ...because I am a pepsi person :)

Quoting futureshock:

What about this article makes you not want to drink Coke?

P.S.  Your title technically means that you will be drinking coke.

• SilverSterling
    January 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM

As long as its Diet i dont care if its coke or Pepsi... 

• TruthSeeker.
    January 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

Soda is not a food source- 

The acid in it will eat through healthy bone-

We do not drink any soda.

We had the stomach bug over Christmas- worse one we've had in years-

I drank jello, another non food source, on day 3- otherwise, nothing.

First time ever, that I vomited on the floor- there was no making it-

This happened to me about 7 yrs ago when I was pregnant. I wasn't feeling well so I got up at about 2am and drank some red Gatorade. An hour or so later I was so violently ill that I stood up out of bed and vomited red Gatorade and other stomach contents all the way from the bed into the bathroom. I tried to get the bathroom door open while covering my mouth at the same time. All over the bathroom door and all over the bathroom. It was so bad I had to call my husband home from work to clean up the mess. It looked like a murder scene. I have never been that sick in my entire life. I vomited 14 times in 12 hours.

• TruthSeeker.
    January 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I don't like the taste of Vernors either.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Vernors tastes kind of like soapy water to me, especially warm. I do like canada dry but only the diet. The diet is much more gingerish.

Ale v. soda...didn't ever occur to me that there was a differnce.

Quoting DSamuels:

I love Canada Dry ginger ale and absolutely hate Vernors. I find it just the opposite, Vernors is way too sweet for me. Vernors is a ginger soda, Canada Dry is a ginger ale.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I can see how this would work.  We use coke to help settle the stomach when we have a barf bug...it has always been easier on mine than 7up/sprite.

It's what we use for barf bugs also.

Do you have Vernors where you live? It's a Michigan pop so i am not sure everyone knows what it is. It's a ginger ale but it's not sweet like canada dry and it actually tastes like ginger.

Anyway...that's what we use, but we warm it up in the micro first. I know it sounds totally weird to drink hot pop but my goodness...it really helps. I'll bet for the same reason as the coke.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN