Featured Posts
maciymommieof3
wow...won't be drinking this no more.
January 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Coca-Cola is successful new treatment for stomach blockages

Coca-Cola is successful new treatment for stomach blockages

• Diet Soda
    iStock

Doctors are using Coca-Cola to treat patients who have gastric phytobezoar – more commonly referred to as a stomach blockage, The Daily Telegraph reported.

The treatment is now being favored over surgery, as it has a success rate of more than 90 percent, according to researchers from Athens University, which detailed their findings in the journal Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.

Coca-Cola, along with the diet version and Coke Zero, have chemical ingredients that work the same way as gastric acid, and the carbonation helps move everything along.

A stomach blockage, often caused when some fruits do not digest, can ultimately lead to a bowel obstruction. Doctors can treat the ailment with lasers, endoscopies and surgery

According to the researchers, if drinking Coca-Cola does not fully destroy the mechanism causing the blockage, it will at least make it smaller, thus making it easier to remove through typical procedures.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/07/coca-cola-successful-new-treatment-for-stomach-blockages/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz2HoQBb1gX

Replies

• motha2daDuchess
    January 13, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    if your car battery is being weird the terminals should be cleaned with a coke
  • PinkButterfly66
    January 13, 2013 at 12:04 AM

When I was a kid, my mom kept a bottle of cola syrup in the fridge for upset tummies, she got from the pharmacist.

• Sisteract
    January 13, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Soda is not a food source- 

The acid in it will eat through healthy bone-

We do not drink any soda.

We had the stomach bug over Christmas- worse one we've had in years-

I drank jello, another non food source, on day 3- otherwise, nothing.

First time ever, that I vomited on the floor- there was no making it-

• PestPatti
    January 13, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I drink Cherry coke, it's delicious.   

• SilverSterling
    January 13, 2013 at 12:40 AM

just opened my 4th 16.9oz bottle of diet coke for the night.. granted I only opened it to take pills but its open lol

• ihave1
    by ihave1
    January 13, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I was stuck at work about two years ago & was really sick.  I could not leave.   My friend told me to eat some french fries & drink a coke & I did not feel like throwing up after wards, I was amazed. lol

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I can see how this would work.  We use coke to help settle the stomach when we have a barf bug...it has always been easier on mine than 7up/sprite.

It's what we use for barf bugs also.

• DSamuels
    January 13, 2013 at 1:01 AM
    I love Canada Dry ginger ale and absolutely hate Vernors. I find it just the opposite, Vernors is way too sweet for me. Vernors is a ginger soda, Canada Dry is a ginger ale.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I can see how this would work.  We use coke to help settle the stomach when we have a barf bug...it has always been easier on mine than 7up/sprite.

Do you have Vernors where you live? It's a Michigan pop so i am not sure everyone knows what it is. It's a ginger ale but it's not sweet like canada dry and it actually tastes like ginger.

Anyway...that's what we use, but we warm it up in the micro first. I know it sounds totally weird to drink hot pop but my goodness...it really helps. I'll bet for the same reason as the coke.

• ashleighmama
    January 13, 2013 at 3:18 AM
    Us too. And I love coke, maybe thats why I poop regularly and never get constipated!

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

• KedrynsMommie
    January 13, 2013 at 3:23 AM
    I use coke to flush my ds gtube.. it cleans it out really well and also seems to soothe the symptoms of his gastroparesis
  • reindeer-c
    January 13, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Wow, I did not know coke worked for upset tummies and to clear out the colon. I guess drinking diet coke is not the worst thing.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts