Featured Posts
maciymommieof3
wow...won't be drinking this no more.
January 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Coca-Cola is successful new treatment for stomach blockages

Coca-Cola is successful new treatment for stomach blockages

• Diet Soda
    iStock

Doctors are using Coca-Cola to treat patients who have gastric phytobezoar – more commonly referred to as a stomach blockage, The Daily Telegraph reported.

The treatment is now being favored over surgery, as it has a success rate of more than 90 percent, according to researchers from Athens University, which detailed their findings in the journal Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.

Coca-Cola, along with the diet version and Coke Zero, have chemical ingredients that work the same way as gastric acid, and the carbonation helps move everything along.

A stomach blockage, often caused when some fruits do not digest, can ultimately lead to a bowel obstruction. Doctors can treat the ailment with lasers, endoscopies and surgery

According to the researchers, if drinking Coca-Cola does not fully destroy the mechanism causing the blockage, it will at least make it smaller, thus making it easier to remove through typical procedures.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/07/coca-cola-successful-new-treatment-for-stomach-blockages/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz2HoQBb1gX

Replies

• motha2daDuchess
    January 13, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    if your car battery is being weird the terminals should be cleaned with a coke
  • PinkButterfly66
    January 13, 2013 at 12:04 AM

When I was a kid, my mom kept a bottle of cola syrup in the fridge for upset tummies, she got from the pharmacist.

• Sisteract
    January 13, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Soda is not a food source- 

The acid in it will eat through healthy bone-

We do not drink any soda.

We had the stomach bug over Christmas- worse one we've had in years-

I drank jello, another non food source, on day 3- otherwise, nothing.

First time ever, that I vomited on the floor- there was no making it-

• PestPatti
    January 13, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I drink Cherry coke, it's delicious.   

• SilverSterling
    January 13, 2013 at 12:40 AM

just opened my 4th 16.9oz bottle of diet coke for the night.. granted I only opened it to take pills but its open lol

• ihave1
    by ihave1
    January 13, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I was stuck at work about two years ago & was really sick.  I could not leave.   My friend told me to eat some french fries & drink a coke & I did not feel like throwing up after wards, I was amazed. lol

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I can see how this would work.  We use coke to help settle the stomach when we have a barf bug...it has always been easier on mine than 7up/sprite.

It's what we use for barf bugs also.

• DSamuels
    January 13, 2013 at 1:01 AM
    I love Canada Dry ginger ale and absolutely hate Vernors. I find it just the opposite, Vernors is way too sweet for me. Vernors is a ginger soda, Canada Dry is a ginger ale.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I can see how this would work.  We use coke to help settle the stomach when we have a barf bug...it has always been easier on mine than 7up/sprite.

Do you have Vernors where you live? It's a Michigan pop so i am not sure everyone knows what it is. It's a ginger ale but it's not sweet like canada dry and it actually tastes like ginger.

Anyway...that's what we use, but we warm it up in the micro first. I know it sounds totally weird to drink hot pop but my goodness...it really helps. I'll bet for the same reason as the coke.

• ashleighmama
    January 13, 2013 at 3:18 AM
    Us too. And I love coke, maybe thats why I poop regularly and never get constipated!

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

• KedrynsMommie
    January 13, 2013 at 3:23 AM
    I use coke to flush my ds gtube.. it cleans it out really well and also seems to soothe the symptoms of his gastroparesis
  • reindeer-c
    January 13, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Wow, I did not know coke worked for upset tummies and to clear out the colon. I guess drinking diet coke is not the worst thing.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN