Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
pamelax3
Obama signs law giving himself, Bush lifetime Secret Service guard
January 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Former presidents have to give up rides on Air Force One. But now they don't have to give up being shadowed by the armed-and-earpieced bodyguards of the Secret Service.

President Barack Obama on Thursday signed into a law a measure giving him, George W. Bush and future former presidents and their spouses lifetime Secret Service protection, the White House announced.

The legislation, crafted by Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, rolls back a mid-1990s law that imposed a 10-year limit on Secret Service protection for former presidents. Bush would have been the first former commander in chief affected.

At the time, lawmakers who supported the measure said it would save the government millions of dollars. They also argued that former presidents could hire private security firms (as Richard Nixon did after he decided to forgo Secret Service protection in 1985).

The bill had sailed through Congress with bipartisan support—it cleared the House of Representatives by voice vote in early December, and then it zipped through the Senate unopposed. The law also provides protection for former presidents’ kids until age 16. But “protection of a spouse shall terminate in the event of remarriage.”

The Secret Service started protecting presidents in 1901 after the assassination of William McKinley. In 1965, Congress passed a law authorizing the agency, which is now a part of the Department of Homeland Security, to protect former presidents for life.

Replies

• pamelax3
    January 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    Yes he will
    Quoting jakesmom323:

He will need it...

• TranquilMind
    January 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Isn't he special?  SURE...we taxpayers can afford it!  "We don't have a spending problem..."  (Falls down laughing)

• rfurlongg
    January 10, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Like his predecessor, I'm sure he will need it.

• pamelax3
    January 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I will say I am laughing with you.. The spending is out of control

Quoting TranquilMind:

Isn't he special?  SURE...we taxpayers can afford it!  "We don't have a spending problem..."  (Falls down laughing)

• Healthystart30
    January 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    He is probably scared for his life, and Bush as well. So many crazy people have said so many crazy things about both of them, I'm not surprised they need/want that protection.
  • yourspecialkid
    January 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I don't really have a problem with this.  I do hate the expense...given the fact we are broke!

• glitterteaz
    January 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Who blames him I would too I mean look at the nut balls on this site alone.

• darlingdaisy
    January 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Oh yeah, take care of YOURSELF first.  Screw the rest of us.

• JanuaryBaby06
    January 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM

what a waste of tax payer money!!

Last year he passed National Defense Authorization Act and now it sounde like not only is he going to invoke insexitive order reguarding our rights to bear some arms (which we do not know yet) and now he needs security for life? Makes me nervous fo' sho.

• LoveMyBoyK
    January 10, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    Ridiculous!! They can afford to hire their own security.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN