oddgirl
Have you been affected by the flu outbreak?
by oddgirl
January 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I keep reading headlines about the widespread flu outbreak through out the country, but I don't know a single person who has had it.  Perhaps it's worse in the Midwest and the east coast?  Was just wondering how many on this board have had the flu or have family members with the flu.  If so,  did it seem particularly bad?

Replies

• 3mom627
    by 3mom627
    January 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM

My MIL is in the local nursing home and they have an outbreak. They asked us not to visit until next week and are giving her Tamiflu as an extra precaution. I pray she doesn't get it.

• Euphoric
    January 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM

A lot of people at work have been out with the flu. I'm not sure where it was, but I heard 18 children have died from the flu. :(

• greenie63
    January 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I am getting over the flu currently, my boys both had it last week, and now my SO is showing signs. We live on the east coast in Maryland. They are advising people if you have it to stay home for a few days, we've been home for 2 days. 

• oddgirl
    by oddgirl
    January 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Quoting 3mom627:

My MIL is in the local nursing home and they have an outbreak. They asked us not to visit until next week and are giving her Tamiflu as an extra precaution. I pray she doesn't get it.

Oh my.  Here's hoping she stays well.  I know the very young and the elderly are at above average risk for complications with this kind of thing.

• rfurlongg
    I am in TX and my oldest had it back in early December.
  • Ang9403
    by Ang9403
    Nope I haven't.
  • daughteroftruth

I jsut took my oldest to the doc today here in town.  My oldest and youngest have a stomach virus (fever, throwing up, ect).  I asked (as I always do), whats going around.  He said that we have a nasty upper respiratory infection (viral) going around, but no one has tested positive for the flu so far in our town.  In the next small town over, there have been two positive tests, and in the next town past that maybe half a dozen.  So its here in the valley, but not an epidemic yet.  

Guess there have been a few positive cases of whooping cough this winter as well, but nothing widespread. 

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    January 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM

No, we all got our flu shots last fall. There have been two deaths in MN though. It is scary.A real epidemic.

• oddgirl
    by oddgirl
    January 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Quoting Euphoric:

A lot of people at work have been out with the flu. I'm not sure where it was, but I heard 18 children have died from the flu. :(

I've seen varying numbers of pediatric related deaths, but 18 does seem to be the current number.

• lwalker270
    January 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I had it before Christmas and both my boys got it and yes, it was bad.  By the time I was seen by my doctor, I had passed the optimum window to received TamiFlu and it took me a good 2 weeks before I was feeling back to myself.  As soon as the boys were symptomatic, I called their pedi and got TamiFlu for them both, which shortened the duration.

Luckily DH was away on a short deployment, so he didn't get it.