Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Teacher Humiliates Autistic Kid By Making Him Sit in Cardboard Box - Do you buy the excuse or was this meant to humiliate?
January 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Teacher Humiliates Autistic Kid By Making Him Sit in Cardboard Box

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 8, 2013 

cardboard boxThis just in from the bad teacher files: a teacher put a cardboard box around the seat of an autistic child and labeled it the "bad kid fort." Oh, but she didn't want to embarrass the child! At least not according to the principal who is faced with cleaning up this rather embarrassing mess for her school district.

Principal Pam Goots says the bad kid box put around a Parkersburg High School student was "bad judgment," but she insists this wasn't meant to humiliate the child. All right, I'll bite.

What did she think was going to happen? What could be the other options? Hmmm?

I'm not coming up with any, how about you?

The kid was going to be made a spectacle in front of his entire class and absolutely no one would notice? In a world where we have a bona fide bullying epidemic, this would just be ignored?

Uh huh. And the word gullible is in the dictionary, right?

The denial is infuriating here -- almost as much as the actual "bad kid fort" incident -- because teachers are supposed to be on a kid's side, any kid's side.

But this child in particular has Asperger's syndrome. That should have set off a warning bell in this teacher's head, reminding her that this kid needs a tad bit more protection, could use a tad bit more compassion. An average of 62 percent of the kids on the spectrum report that they're bullied at least once a week in school. Once a WEEK, people.

If we can't even get the teachers to stop singling them out, how are we going to get cruel kids to get the hint?

Do you buy this educator's excuse or was this straight up meant to humiliate this child?

Replies

• LIMom1105
    January 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM

It was cruel and meant to humiliate him.

These days, I think all teachers should have special education training, since they will all have special needs kids in their classrooms. Though I don't know if that would have helped in this case. 

There are some winners out there, this is why I don't want them carrying guns in the classroom.

• MicheleJM
    January 8, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I agree with the comment we don't want these "winners" to carry guns.  By the same token I think teachers often get frustrated.  They can't touch a kid to remove them from the classroom without some parent going off the deep end.  They can't chastise a child without some parent going off the deep end.  We got teachers calling the police to remove violent disruptive children from the classroom or the principals office and what happens typically?  The parents go off the deep end.  We want teachers to be able to handle a growing number of autistic, emotionally handicapped, ADHD, and bipolar children and parents apparently can't come to the classroom to help their behavioral challenged children adjust.  Teachers, as you said, aren't trained and their hands are tied. Then they have their neurotypical children to teach.  I agree this woman was stupid but I think teachers are getting desperate.  I'm surprised that as a group they aren't all alcoholics...I would be.

Quoting LIMom1105:

These days, I think all teachers should have special education training, since they will all have special needs kids in their classrooms. Though I don't know if that would have helped in this case. 

There are some winners out there, this is why I don't want them carrying guns in the classroom.

• LIMom1105
    January 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Oh I agree, teachers have a lot on their plates. It's staggering to think about really. And they also have I deal with parents and an ever growing amount of beaureaucracy and testing. It's a very hard job, and there are a lot of great teachers out there.

This teacher went overboard though, This was just unkind.

Quoting MicheleJM:

I agree with the comment we don't want these "winners" to carry guns.  By the same token I think teachers often get frustrated.  They can't touch a kid to remove them from the classroom without some parent going off the deep end.  They can't chastise a child without some parent going off the deep end.  We got teachers calling the police to remove violent disruptive children from the classroom or the principals office and what happens typically?  The parents go off the deep end.  We want teachers to be able to handle a growing number of autistic, emotionally handicapped, ADHD, and bipolar children and parents apparently can't come to the classroom to help their behavioral challenged children adjust.  Teachers, as you said, aren't trained and their hands are tied. Then they have their neurotypical children to teach.  I agree this woman was stupid but I think teachers are getting desperate.  I'm surprised that as a group they aren't all alcoholics...I would be.

Quoting LIMom1105:

• sweetmissy_05
    January 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM

That is terrible and meant to humiliate him....how sad.

• gammie
    by gammie
    January 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    There is never a good reason to humiliate a child this teacher was wrong and should be put in a box herself to see if she likes it. I always volunteered in my kids classroom you must keep an eye on the teacher and your child for them to succeed.
  • 1Giovanni
    January 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM

My son has a card board box in the LRC so if he feels overwhelmed or going to have a melt down he goes in the box to give him some dark time, he calls it.

But what this boys teacher did to this boy was not right. She for sure was trying to Humiliate him. 

• TruthSeeker.
    January 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM

If it wasn't for humiliation, what was it for?

• Hughsfmly
    January 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I agree..my Aspie son also has a "safe zone" in his classroom...when he was younger, it was in the OT room where he could safely dispel any anger.  He's older and doesn't have meltdowns anymore, but I asked for him to be placed in a small homeroom class and be integrated for his other classes.  This way, if he gets frustrated by sounds or needs to vent, he can always go back to the homeroom area.  He has an aide that helps him stay on task. I would be very upset if my son came home and told me he was put in the "bad kid fort" as punishment. ABA therapy taught us how to effectively deal with our son, and a humiliating time out (especially for a high schooler) doesn't help solve any problems. 

• Devious333
    January 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    That's what I was wondering.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

If it wasn't for humiliation, what was it for?

• futureshock
    January 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I don't think all teachers are equipped to handle of all the different kinds of special needs kids there are these days, and I think they do the best they can.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN