katy_kay08
WWYD...Playdates and guns
January 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM

This is purely hypothetical and is being posted for the sake of discussion and curiosity.  

I've often seen posts asking if parent's ask the parents of their children's friends if there are guns in the home before they let their children go over to the home.  

My question is to those that do own a gun, would you tell the parents of your children's friends if they were to ask you if you had guns in the home?  Would the question put you off and prevent you from having their child over to your home to play?   How far would you be willing to go to alleviate the concerns of the child's parents?  

Replies

• eema.gray
    January 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM

The kids my son plays with now are mostly "outside" or "Shabbat" friends who don't generally come in.  Next year, starting K and all, this is going to be more of an issue.  I'm seriously considering making every new child who comes here watch the McGruff program on kids and gun safety before they can play with my son.  Our guns and ammo are locked away and my kids cannot get access to the safe but still, it might be a good idea.  How much am I willing to declare?  Well, honestly that depends on the attitude of the child's parents.  I reserve the right at any time to tell my kids that someone is only allowed to play with my kids outside because I don't trust the child or their parents.

• jlo1313
    by jlo1313
    January 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Personally, I don't ask if there are guns in the home.  For some reason I still want to believe in common sense, even though its extinction is becoming more and more apparent.  I automatically assume that people around these parts do have guns, and keep them stored safely and away from their children as I do.  If I am asked, I will tell them, if they want to take their ball and go home, I am perfectly fine with it.

• dustinsmom1
    January 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Of course, if they asked I would tell them. My guns remain where they are at all times, I'm not changing my life to accommodate your child. If your kid doesn't know what "no" means or "don't touch" I don't want them in my house anyhow.

I see no point in owning guns for protection if they are not easily accessible if needed.

• UpSheRises
    January 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I would answer them honestly and ask if they wanted to share any concerns. Some families aren't a good match for other families and i think it would benefit us both to know who we're dealing with.

I've got nothing to hide but I'm not going to have a stranger poking around my closets or anything.

• Peanutx3
    January 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I have not been asked this question yet but I would answer honestly. 

• 4music
    by 4music
    January 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I often wonder if these same questioning parents ask about medications and poisons (or smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, standing water, stairs, knives, cords from blinds, dogs, furniture/appliances that aren't strapped to walls, power tools...).

• Christy644
    January 7, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    You wouldn't have to ask me. Its obvious I do. I haven't had anybody not allow their child in my home.
  • katy_kay08
    January 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM

so is it safe to assume if you were asked you would balk at the question?  

Quoting 4music:

I often wonder if these same questioning parents ask about medications and poisons (or smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, standing water, stairs, knives, cords from blinds, dogs, furniture/appliances that aren't strapped to walls, power tools...).

• conejoazul
    January 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I would answer them honestly that we do have guns stored in our home, we also have hunting bows and arrows, which could be fatal in the hands of children. There would be limits on how many details I would share so that information did not get inappropriately circulated by accident. I would not be put off by whatever choice the other parent made because it is a serious matter and if they would be on pins and needles with worry to me that is worry worth avoiding; if they felt better about our children not playing at our home I would be open to having playdates elsewhere when our schedules allowed. 

• Christy644
    January 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    hypothetically....If I offered you a ride would you take it? Probably. Would you ask if there is a gun in my car? Probably not.

There's 2.

You would never know. So what's more comforting for you? Not knowing or knowing?