Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
katy_kay08
WWYD...Playdates and guns
January 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM

This is purely hypothetical and is being posted for the sake of discussion and curiosity.  

I've often seen posts asking if parent's ask the parents of their children's friends if there are guns in the home before they let their children go over to the home.  

My question is to those that do own a gun, would you tell the parents of your children's friends if they were to ask you if you had guns in the home?  Would the question put you off and prevent you from having their child over to your home to play?   How far would you be willing to go to alleviate the concerns of the child's parents?  

Replies

• Ziva65
    by Ziva65
    January 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I'll add too- that when my kids were that young, we created a tight knit social group. We all knew each other. They were families from our church and school. We knew everyone very well. We didn't really even invite outsiders, certainly not even neighbors kids- unless they were close with one of the families from this group. These families were together for 10-12 years. We all had the same values, goals, etc. We still hang together at times, with our kids all in high school. It was a great foundation for all of our kids- even though they have all now branched out.

We weren;t even situations where they were invited places/ playdates in which we didn't already really, really know the parents. Like we would have had dinner with them, visited their home as a family, and adults had already spent time together first- etc. We didn't just arbitrarily have playdates with kids/ families we didn't know.

• SoKamele
    January 7, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I have guns. They are in a big safe.........that you can plainly see sitting in our living room.

Yes...I will ask. I want to know....and where they are. That is just smart parenting.

• Farmlady09
    January 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I didn't say I didn't worry about little humans. I said stop telling them (and so many adults) that it's ok to be stupid. Stop trying to make capable people live in the same safety bubble a stupid person needs to be kept in.

I read that story the first time you posted it. If this happens so often, why can't you post different stories each time you begin chanting for gun control? And ~ the father in this case was a dimwit. Sleeping on a loaded handgun can wind up with a person blowing their own dimwit head off. Yes, it IS tragic that a child ended up dead because of his stupidity ... but why are you so willing to punish everyone?

Are you willing to ban all dogs (maybe make them extinct) because some parents are dimwits and leave the dog and a baby or toddler alone and that child is bitten, mauled, or killed? Keep in mind that ANY dog can (and has) do this ~ itty bitty chis are JUST as capable of eating the baby as a rottie or pitty.

Are you willing to ban all second floors (and everything taller) because some dimwits let their child climb out the window or drop off a balcony?

Are you willing to ban all cars, which kill more children every year than those disgusting guns, whether or not the drivers are drunk?

How about all medication? Every single pill/liquid on the market has killed a child or adult at some point ~ whether it's because of allergies, or an incorrect dose, someone died from every single one at least once. So should we ban them (or the doctors/nurses who screw up the dosage/patient because they are irresponsible)?

The list is endless Iga ~ and the fact is that even if guns were banned from the entire country, bad people (criminals) WOULD still have them. No good person, no law-abiding person, no decent person would ... but the dimwits would.

I don't have a problem with safety classes ~ in fact, I'm all for that. I do have a problem with more fees, treating good people worse than pedophiles and rapists, and an entire list of weapons picked because some stupid dimwit looked at a picture of them and thought they looked scary.

The father in your article should be punished ~ and screw our laws that ban cruel and unusual. Make the man suffer (toss him expertly off the city walls onto spikes so he hangs there suffering for a few days and everyone can ogle him and taunt him until he dies like the Turks used to do ... or on an ant hill coated in honey). Choose whatever punishment you feel is harsh enough for letting a child die in such a manner ~ but stop aiming your frustration with dimwits at people who AREN'T dimwits. That won't solve the problem.

For the record, yes, I do love my goats ~ and anyone who couldn't take one look at those long ears and those little alien eyes and be reduced to an awwwwww moment has no business pretending to care about little humans.

Quoting lga1965:

Grrrrreat. You must be so proud that you love your goats and don't worry about little humans finding a gun and accidentally shooting a sibling. It happens all the time!

Here is one example. A father was ready for the criminals with his guns not locked away...One examope,JUST one...there are more:

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_22269022/minneapolis-dad-charged-2-year-olds-shooting-death

A young family's tragedy -- the accidental shooting death of a child by his older brother -- was borne of the father's own recklessness, prosecutors claimed as they charged the father with the death.

The Hennepin County attorney charged the father, Kao Chongsua Xiong, in the case Thursday, Dec. 27, alleging he intentionally and carelessly left the loaded handgun and other firearms lying around home where his children could easily get their hands on them

Quoting Farmlady09:

If they are locked up they are useless. No rapist or burglar is going to stand around twiddling their thumbs because a homeowners says 'hang on, I have to unlock my gun and go to the other room and unlock the bullets and load it'.

The coyotes won't stop gnawing on my goat kids if I ask them to wait, no matter how politely I ask. I can't find any good reason to feed one of these ...

to a coyote because my gun and ammo are locked up all safe somewhere in the house. She's a month old ~ why should HER life be at risk because you are paranoid and other people are irresponsible??

Even thinking that way pretty much clears up who is the dimwit (keep in mind you're the one that brought that up). The plain truth is that the 'dimwits' are the ones who have ANYthing in their home that is dangerous and don't teach their children properly. It's their own fault. People today don't seem to be able to say 'It's my fault' and are willing to blame everyone and everything else but themselves. Stop promoting dimwit growth!

Quoting lga1965:

I am not saying guns should be banned---I am saying they should not be around little kids. They need to be locked up. 

How is that paranoid?

How is that passive aggessive? LOL. You are such a dimwit.

Quoting Farmlady09:

That protects families and friends. ... and criminals.

Your idea of what constitutes irresponsible and disgusting don't seem to fit any of the definitions I've ever read ~ or yours are just a passive-aggessive way of calling people more names. I'm all for safety and responsibility, but not catering to paranoia.

Quoting lga1965:

Well....I don't recall addressing my reply directly to you. Only to people who say they won't go out of their way to keep their guns locked away. Guns can be dangerous for small kids. That's why it is up to adults to keep them away from kids. There have been some news items lately about little kids who were able to get their hands on guns and ended up killing their brothers and a few friends.Gun classes stress keeping your firearms locked up and ammo stored in a separate location. That protects families and friends.

Quoting DSamuels:

Really? I don't know a single responsible gun owner that wouldn't care if a visiting child found their gun(s). We don't keep our guns in a safe, but we also don't have them sitting out for children to find them.

My husband didn't get a handgun until our kids were older. The rifles & shotguns were never kept loaded. We do keep a handgun in our room, on his side of the bed, loaded but without a bullet in the chamber. If a child "found" the gun in our room, I'd want to know WTH they were doing snooping in my room.

We are neither irresponsible or disgusting. SMH

Quoting lga1965:

We never had guns. I wouldn't let my kids play at a friends house if they guns, particularly after finding out that too many gun owners don't care if a visiting child finds their guns that are not kept locked up. That is irresponsible and disgusting

No way did we ever want to come in contact with weapons.

• JMmama
    by JMmama
    January 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    I assume that the parents of my kids friends have guns. I would imagine that they also assume we have guns in our home. My husband carries a gun every day as a part of his job and that is no secret. We talk to our kids constantly about gun safety. Honestly, I am more concerned about homes with pools.
  • AMBG825
    by AMBG825
    January 7, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Well there is usually a police car parked in front of our house and all my kids' friends knows there is a police officer living in our house. If they haven't figured out there is a gun in the house, then they probably won't be allowed over to begin with.

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    January 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM

When I joined the local MOMS Club, if we wanted to join the age specific play groups (there are a lot of different clubs/groups in our MOMS Club), we had to list whether or not we had guns and how and where they were stored.

• smalltowngal
    January 7, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Yes I would tell them. No, it wouldn't put me off. If they wanted to see our gun safe to be reassured they're all locked up with ammunition separately, I would be fine with that. 

• Bigmetalchicken
    January 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I have never had anyone ask this of me, and I have never asked anyone this. That being said, I am in Texas, and I assume everyone has at least two firearms in their home.  I also tend to be very selective of who my son has playdates with, at other homes.  If I do not trust the parents completely, I do not allow my son to play there. 

If someone were to ask me this, I would simply say, "This is Texas, what do you think?"

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    January 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I am sure I could find a whole bunch of other stories but it would not reach you at all. You only have YOUR Annie Oakley,living in the wilds, viewpoint and everyone else is wrong. YOU live in a bubble in the wilderness where you are  rooted way in the past and can't see the present day and can't see how anyone could live a different life than yours. So isolated and odd.I would really hate to be related to you. Ugh.

I am really bored with your lectures.

I live in the city and I wouldn't have it any other way. You can keep your goats and your guns to defend yourself against "the enemy".....the "bad guys", whoever they are.

Quoting Farmlady09:

I didn't say I didn't worry about little humans. I said stop telling them (and so many adults) that it's ok to be stupid. Stop trying to make capable people live in the same safety bubble a stupid person needs to be kept in.

I read that story the first time you posted it. If this happens so often, why can't you post different stories each time you begin chanting for gun control? And ~ the father in this case was a dimwit. Sleeping on a loaded handgun can wind up with a person blowing their own dimwit head off. Yes, it IS tragic that a child ended up dead because of his stupidity ... but why are you so willing to punish everyone?

Are you willing to ban all dogs (maybe make them extinct) because some parents are dimwits and leave the dog and a baby or toddler alone and that child is bitten, mauled, or killed? Keep in mind that ANY dog can (and has) do this ~ itty bitty chis are JUST as capable of eating the baby as a rottie or pitty.

Are you willing to ban all second floors (and everything taller) because some dimwits let their child climb out the window or drop off a balcony?

Are you willing to ban all cars, which kill more children every year than those disgusting guns, whether or not the drivers are drunk?

How about all medication? Every single pill/liquid on the market has killed a child or adult at some point ~ whether it's because of allergies, or an incorrect dose, someone died from every single one at least once. So should we ban them (or the doctors/nurses who screw up the dosage/patient because they are irresponsible)?

The list is endless Iga ~ and the fact is that even if guns were banned from the entire country, bad people (criminals) WOULD still have them. No good person, no law-abiding person, no decent person would ... but the dimwits would.

I don't have a problem with safety classes ~ in fact, I'm all for that. I do have a problem with more fees, treating good people worse than pedophiles and rapists, and an entire list of weapons picked because some stupid dimwit looked at a picture of them and thought they looked scary.

The father in your article should be punished ~ and screw our laws that ban cruel and unusual. Make the man suffer (toss him expertly off the city walls onto spikes so he hangs there suffering for a few days and everyone can ogle him and taunt him until he dies like the Turks used to do ... or on an ant hill coated in honey). Choose whatever punishment you feel is harsh enough for letting a child die in such a manner ~ but stop aiming your frustration with dimwits at people who AREN'T dimwits. That won't solve the problem.

For the record, yes, I do love my goats ~ and anyone who couldn't take one look at those long ears and those little alien eyes and be reduced to an awwwwww moment has no business pretending to care about little humans.

Quoting lga1965:

Grrrrreat. You must be so proud that you love your goats and don't worry about little humans finding a gun and accidentally shooting a sibling. It happens all the time!

Here is one example. A father was ready for the criminals with his guns not locked away...One examope,JUST one...there are more:

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_22269022/minneapolis-dad-charged-2-year-olds-shooting-death

A young family's tragedy -- the accidental shooting death of a child by his older brother -- was borne of the father's own recklessness, prosecutors claimed as they charged the father with the death.

The Hennepin County attorney charged the father, Kao Chongsua Xiong, in the case Thursday, Dec. 27, alleging he intentionally and carelessly left the loaded handgun and other firearms lying around home where his children could easily get their hands on them

Quoting Farmlady09:

If they are locked up they are useless. No rapist or burglar is going to stand around twiddling their thumbs because a homeowners says 'hang on, I have to unlock my gun and go to the other room and unlock the bullets and load it'.

The coyotes won't stop gnawing on my goat kids if I ask them to wait, no matter how politely I ask. I can't find any good reason to feed one of these ...

to a coyote because my gun and ammo are locked up all safe somewhere in the house. She's a month old ~ why should HER life be at risk because you are paranoid and other people are irresponsible??

Even thinking that way pretty much clears up who is the dimwit (keep in mind you're the one that brought that up). The plain truth is that the 'dimwits' are the ones who have ANYthing in their home that is dangerous and don't teach their children properly. It's their own fault. People today don't seem to be able to say 'It's my fault' and are willing to blame everyone and everything else but themselves. Stop promoting dimwit growth!

Quoting lga1965:

I am not saying guns should be banned---I am saying they should not be around little kids. They need to be locked up. 

How is that paranoid?

How is that passive aggessive? LOL. You are such a dimwit.

Quoting Farmlady09:

That protects families and friends. ... and criminals.

Your idea of what constitutes irresponsible and disgusting don't seem to fit any of the definitions I've ever read ~ or yours are just a passive-aggessive way of calling people more names. I'm all for safety and responsibility, but not catering to paranoia.

Quoting lga1965:

Well....I don't recall addressing my reply directly to you. Only to people who say they won't go out of their way to keep their guns locked away. Guns can be dangerous for small kids. That's why it is up to adults to keep them away from kids. There have been some news items lately about little kids who were able to get their hands on guns and ended up killing their brothers and a few friends.Gun classes stress keeping your firearms locked up and ammo stored in a separate location. That protects families and friends.

Quoting DSamuels:

Really? I don't know a single responsible gun owner that wouldn't care if a visiting child found their gun(s). We don't keep our guns in a safe, but we also don't have them sitting out for children to find them.

My husband didn't get a handgun until our kids were older. The rifles & shotguns were never kept loaded. We do keep a handgun in our room, on his side of the bed, loaded but without a bullet in the chamber. If a child "found" the gun in our room, I'd want to know WTH they were doing snooping in my room.

We are neither irresponsible or disgusting. SMH

Quoting lga1965:

We never had guns. I wouldn't let my kids play at a friends house if they guns, particularly after finding out that too many gun owners don't care if a visiting child finds their guns that are not kept locked up. That is irresponsible and disgusting

No way did we ever want to come in contact with weapons.

• Jenn_A
    by Jenn_A
    January 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM

It's kinda a given parents round here have guns. If they have Browning or Cabella's stickers on their car, you know for sure. Sometimes you can even tell by their truck what make and model their gun is. No, I've never been asked; yes, I'd be honest. If that parent wouldn't let their kid come over after that, well, their little darling is going to be a very lonely child......

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN