Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
katy_kay08
WWYD...Playdates and guns
January 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM

This is purely hypothetical and is being posted for the sake of discussion and curiosity.  

I've often seen posts asking if parent's ask the parents of their children's friends if there are guns in the home before they let their children go over to the home.  

My question is to those that do own a gun, would you tell the parents of your children's friends if they were to ask you if you had guns in the home?  Would the question put you off and prevent you from having their child over to your home to play?   How far would you be willing to go to alleviate the concerns of the child's parents?  

Replies

• Mama_Of_Two2012
    January 10, 2013 at 3:24 PM

this is the stupidest thing I have EVER heard!!!! I am sorry and not trying to be rude, but we are very responsible gun owners and kids DON'T even know they are here, my daughter does but thats all. Also they are in my room and NO kids are allowed in my room. So i guess if you want to limit your children and not let them over to peoples house who own guns then you are limiting your childrens friends. It is better to have an educated child then an uneducated child

Quoting lga1965:

We never had guns. I wouldn't let my kids play at a friends house if they guns, particularly after finding out that too many gun owners don't care if a visiting child finds their guns that are not kept locked up. That is irresponsible and disgusting

No way did we ever want to come in contact with weapons.

• beckolette
    January 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM

We most certainly knew who had guns in the home and who didn't. We also knew if those who had gun, took precautions of safety. We have several guns in our home and they are locked with trigger locks and in a gun safe, in a locked bedroom. No friends of "any" age are allowed in the home without us being there. Guns kill in hands of people who are untrained in weapon safety. I trust my children with them, but I don't know if their friends are properly trained. I know if my child is in the home of someone else and a gun is laying on the table, he would find a parent to put it away or leave immediatly. They are aware of the danger and value life. 

• Acalhoun
    January 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I would not be put off by the question.  They are being a GOOD parent by asking such a thing.  I do not find it irregular at all to worry whether or not they might have their guns locked up in a safe place.  Kids are naturally curious.  Responsible gun owners (like DH and I) keep their guns locked up and far away from where the children would be.

• Amandatoo
    January 11, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    Quoting EireLass:

Absolutely, Yes my Insurance knows about the Dogs and I have Beware Signs on my fence.
  • EireLass
    January 11, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Typically a 'beware' sign adds more liability to the owner rather than act as a warning to others. You are admitting guilt by signage. It also puts your dog at risk.

Quoting Amandatoo:
    Quoting EireLass:
    Absolutely, Yes my Insurance knows about the Dogs and I have Beware Signs on my fence.

• Amandatoo
    January 11, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    Quoting EireLass:

Actually the police officer that told me to get a "Watch Dog" told Me to make sure I have a Beware of Dog Sign up. I had asked him what if the Dog attacked someone who jumped in my yard and he said as long as you have a Sign up they have been Warned and its on them.
  • EireLass
    January 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM

And what did he tell you would happen if someone shot your dog?

Quoting Amandatoo:
    Quoting EireLass:
    Actually the police officer that told me to get a "Watch Dog" told Me to make sure I have a Beware of Dog Sign up. I had asked him what if the Dog attacked someone who jumped in my yard and he said as long as you have a Sign up they have been Warned and its on them.

• CowboysAngel02
    January 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I would be honest and tell them, "Yes, I have 2 rifles in my closet in my room. No they are not locked up but are uloaded and the ammo cannot be reached by small children. If you are uncomfortable with that I understand but my children know not to touch or play with them. Do yours?"

• blues_pagan
    January 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I can honestly say this, from reading some of the responses here I am definitely going to be asking parents if they have guns that are safely stored so that the children cannot access them.  And yes my child understands, "no don't touch" but guns shouldn't be out where kids can touch them.

• Amandatoo
    January 15, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    Quoting EireLass:

He said dont worry about your Dog being Shot at because while they are trying to shoot one the other 3 would be attacking him. Now seriously stop quoting me and go annoy the Fuck out of someone else and ask them stupid questions.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN