Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
katy_kay08
WWYD...Playdates and guns
January 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM

This is purely hypothetical and is being posted for the sake of discussion and curiosity.  

I've often seen posts asking if parent's ask the parents of their children's friends if there are guns in the home before they let their children go over to the home.  

My question is to those that do own a gun, would you tell the parents of your children's friends if they were to ask you if you had guns in the home?  Would the question put you off and prevent you from having their child over to your home to play?   How far would you be willing to go to alleviate the concerns of the child's parents?  

Replies

• anon1986East
    January 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I don't ask if there are guns in the home as my children only visit people I trust and I know they'd never bring the guns out and say "have at it" to the kids, nor would they bring out the guns for their own demonstration.

If someone were to ask me if I had guns in my home I would answer honestly, yes I do. If they chose to not allow their child to come over because of that reason that's their choice. If they asked me where the guns were kept, I'd certainly tell them my guns are locked away in hidden gun safes built into the house with the exception of one gun case for display purposes which hold several antique rifles but the glass is 2 inches thick, shatter proof and remains locked at all times...and those guns don't work anymore, they're there for viewing pleasure only.

• Paperfishies
    January 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    I would be honest and say "yup we have guns, they're all in locked gun safes"
  • Farmlady09
    January 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Since my children are all adults and raising their own children, the only answer I can give is in the past tense. People know I had guns. No one ever asked me, and if they had my reply would have been that if they weren't comfortable with it to keep their children at home, or have them play somewhere else. It wouldn't have offended me, and I would not have been willing to do squat to alleviate their concerns. My guns have never been locked up. They have never met a locking device. I've never kept my guns and ammo in separate quarters ~ just as I've never kept any other tool locked up and useless.

My boys never played with guns nor were they ever in any danger from them. Honest. I've left a gun sitting around (loaded or unloaded) for days at a time, and I can say that not one ever loaded itself, or fired off a shot at anything. My boys were taught not to touch certain things (not just guns) and they weren't too stupid to learn what was ok and what wasn't. They were also taught how to use everything that was in my home.

Parents that are responsible do teach their children about dangerous things (light sockets, stoves, ovens, chainsaws, the throw rug in the hallway, steps, vehicles, etc.). Parents who are not end up with children who are injured/killed and blame the object. Parents who are responsible also watch all of the children who are in their home, not just their own.

I'll grant that I grew up in an area where most people hunted. The high school was closed on the first day of buck season (and still is). Most parents already had guns, and most parents already taught their children to use them ~ which may account for why it was never an issue.

• 4music
    by 4music
    January 7, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I'm not sure how you leapt to that conclusion. I was merely pointing out that there are plenty of other dangers in homes to consider yet i never hear of anyone inquiring of them. 

Quoting katy_kay08:
    so is it safe to assume if you were asked you would balk at the question?  

Quoting 4music:

I often wonder if these same questioning parents ask about medications and poisons (or smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, standing water, stairs, knives, cords from blinds, dogs, furniture/appliances that aren't strapped to walls, power tools...).

• katy_kay08
    January 7, 2013 at 5:48 PM

your lack of answer to the actual question asked and the overall tone in the response you provided.  You may notice it was a question, and not really a full on assumption as I felt I would give you the benefit of the doubt.  Still haven't addressed the actual question asked though, but thanks for the bump.  

Quoting 4music:

I'm not sure how you leapt to that conclusion. I was merely pointing out that there are plenty of other dangers in homes to consider yet i never hear of anyone inquiring of them. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting 4music:

I often wonder if these same questioning parents ask about medications and poisons (or smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, standing water, stairs, knives, cords from blinds, dogs, furniture/appliances that aren't strapped to walls, power tools...).

• finnbar
    by finnbar
    January 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM

We have guns in our house and if we invited a child over and their parent asked I would tell the truth. Why lie? It's not illegal and nothing to be ashamed of. Obviously we do not leave guns laying around or store them loaded or where children can access them.

If another parent decides not to bring their child over because we have guns that is their perogative. 

• gizmo538
    January 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Of course I would tell them if they asked. I'm not going to lie to a parent just so their kid can play at my house.

I'm also not getting rid of my gun. If they don't feel comfortable with their child staying in my house, then they don't have to let their child play in my house. Simple.

• 4music
    by 4music
    January 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Your question was clearly addressed to those that have guns in their homes.  As for my "tone",  I am honestly curious if folks who question a person about guns in their homes also question other legitimate  (and many statistically higher risk) dangers.

Quoting katy_kay08:

your lack of answer to the actual question asked and the overall tone in the response you provided.  You may notice it was a question, and not really a full on assumption as I felt I would give you the benefit of the doubt.  Still haven't addressed the actual question asked though, but thanks for the bump.  

Quoting 4music:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting 4music:

• katy_kay08
    January 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM

you should definitely make a post asking it.  Thanks again for the bump!

Quoting 4music:

Your question was clearly addressed to those that have guns in their homes.  As for my "tone",  I am honestly curious if folks who question a person about guns in their homes also question other legitimate  (and many statistically higher risk) dangers.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting 4music:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting 4music:

• DSamuels
    January 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    Really? I don't know a single responsible gun owner that wouldn't care if a visiting child found their gun(s). We don't keep our guns in a safe, but we also don't have them sitting out for children to find them.

My husband didn't get a handgun until our kids were older. The rifles & shotguns were never kept loaded. We do keep a handgun in our room, on his side of the bed, loaded but without a bullet in the chamber. If a child "found" the gun in our room, I'd want to know WTH they were doing snooping in my room.

We are neither irresponsible or disgusting. SMH

Quoting lga1965:

We never had guns. I wouldn't let my kids play at a friends house if they guns, particularly after finding out that too many gun owners don't care if a visiting child finds their guns that are not kept locked up. That is irresponsible and disgusting

No way did we ever want to come in contact with weapons.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts