Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
gammie
'We've lost respect for life': Detroit records deadliest year in decades
by gammie
January 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM

The homicide rate in the city of Detroit continued a grim upward trend in 2012, hitting its highest peak in nearly two decades, officials said Thursday.

A dwindling population -- 706,585 people in 2011, according to the U.S. Census estimate -- and the rise in homicides combined to make Detroit’s murder rate among the highest in the nation, Detroit Mayor Dave Bing and Police Chief Chester Logan announced at a press conference.  

“We’ve just lost respect for each other; we’ve lost respect for life,” Bing said. “I don’t want to say that you can forget about this generation or the generation before us, but if we’re going to solve the problem, we’ve got to get into the heads and the minds and the hearts of our young people, and it’s going to take all of us to do that.”

Detroit’s total of 411 homicides in 2012, up from 377 the previous year, includes 386 criminal homicides and 25 “justifiable homicides” that included three shootings by police, according to numbers released by the city. The number of criminal homicides increased 12 percent from 344 in 2011. The total in 2010 was 308. 

Stay informed with the latest headlines; sign up for our newsletter   

Even as violent crime rates in the U.S. fell for the fifth consecutive year in 2011, the homicide rate in Detroit rose to a level higher than nearly 40 years ago when the city was known as the Murder Capital, the Detroit News reported. The same day the city's official crime statistics were announced, a Detroit woman was charged with fatally stabbing her 8-year-old daughter and a cab driver was killed in a double shooting on the city’s northwest side.

“I think the message that we want our citizens to understand is that we need them. We need them to help us. I just don’t believe that our police department should have the total responsibility for safety in the city," Bing said. "There are, as the chief said, he can have an additional thousand cops, but there are things that are happening in homes and families in the communities and the neighborhoods that whether a cop was there or not is not going to stop the crime.” 

Replies

• gammie
    by gammie
    January 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I do believe in what he has said "We've lost respect for life" this is around the world.

can read the rest on NBC News.

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    January 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I think many people have that perspective but it isn't necessarily true.

• gammie
    by gammie
    January 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I don't know but I do know that some are okay with Obama killing (in all the wars we are in) with military drones because some think they a savages, "they are not like us"? Just heard a general say that.

Human life is human life to me.

Our government sets the tone like or not. It is okay to kill, steal and take away our parent rights?

Will that is my perspective anyway.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I think many people have that perspective but it isn't necessarily true.

• pamelax3
    January 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I agree people just have no respect for one and other anymore

• UpSheRises
    January 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Detroit is a rough place.

• Radarma
    by Radarma
    January 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM

"There are, as the chief said, he can have an additional thousand cops, but there are things that are happening in homes and families in the communities and the neighborhoods that whether a cop was there or not is not going to stop the crime.” 

Gee, where have we heard that before? Oh that's right, from ME, and a handful of other souls here.

• Arroree
    by Arroree
    January 7, 2013 at 3:30 PM

There has never been a respect for "life" among humans. The only supposed "respect for life" any society has ever even pretended to show throughout history has been a quasi respect for the lives of their own citizens, and even then only if the citizens meet certain standards of deserving that respect.  Humans have always found reasons to consider the killing and/or deaths of other humans acceptable, whether for religious reasons, race, ethnicity, monetary status, or region living in.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts