survivorinohio
Taking a child underground
January 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

To protect them from an abusive parent, would you or would you abide by court orders?

Replies

• cueballsmom
    January 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    I would run to the ends of the earth to protect my child. If there was no other way, I would even hide them with a new family far away and change the kids name completely.

No adult's rights are worth more than a child's safety.
  • skyelyns_mommie
    January 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    My Mon almost had to do this with us. Personally I wish she had. As for my daughter hell yes. I have everything ready (( money passports, extra)) just in case we need to. Her bio dad tried to kill is twice I don't plan to give him another chance.
  • afwifeandmommy3
    January 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    Yes Absolutely
  • AMBG825
    by AMBG825
    January 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Actually, I would get others as involved as I can. Schools. Doctors. Coaches etc.

When my SS's were in the custodial care of their mother, they were abused. She let her boyfriends use them as punching bags. They were routinely locked out of the house for hours in all sorts of weather. In other cases she would leave them alone for days on end and they weren't allowed to leave the house.

We got doctors involved and had them document the injuries and report them. We got neighbors involved and had the neighbors report her. Her apartment complex got involved and turned her in. We followed the "rules" and managed to get the kids away from their abuser. We knew the courts wouldn't believe us. But we knew the more people who were aware and reporting it sure did help our case.

• wickedfiress
    January 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Absolutely. 

My step dad played by the rules and his crazy ex wife kidnapped my step sister from our backyard and ran off with her for about 3 months. 

• survivorinohio
    January 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Quoting AMBG825:

Actually, I would get others as involved as I can. Schools. Doctors. Coaches etc.

When my SS's were in the custodial care of their mother, they were abused. She let her boyfriends use them as punching bags. They were routinely locked out of the house for hours in all sorts of weather. In other cases she would leave them alone for days on end and they weren't allowed to leave the house.

We got doctors involved and had them document the injuries and report them. We got neighbors involved and had the neighbors report her. Her apartment complex got involved and turned her in. We followed the "rules" and managed to get the kids away from their abuser. We knew the courts wouldn't believe us. But we knew the more people who were aware and reporting it sure did help our case.

Thats awful.  I am glad they got help.

I won supervised visitation for my children and it wasnt enough.  I didnt know until too late though I should have. 

I often wonder if diappearing would have been better.

• AMBG825
    by AMBG825
    January 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM

She got supervised visitation as well. We demanded (and won) that the supervisor be appointed by the courts. We didn't want her sister, mother or grandmother being a supervisor. We wanted someone with authority to be able to tell her to go get bent if/when the abuse started again.

But that was 13 years ago. I've since adopted one of the boys (at his request) and he has no contact with his mother. The oldest one refuses to speak with her. Every so often I'll get a phone call from her wanting to talk to the oldest.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting AMBG825:

Thats awful.  I am glad they got help.

I won supervised visitation for my children and it wasnt enough.  I didnt know until too late though I should have. 

I often wonder if diappearing would have been better.

• TruthSeeker.
    January 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I would do Anything to protect my child.

• greenie63
    January 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I agree with the others, I would protect my children with my life. 

• LntLckrsCmQut
    January 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I would in a heart beat, if it were my last hope. I would like to think that the court system would protect children  from abusive parents, but the countless stories I've read say otherwise.