blues_pagan
DBL: Am I overreacting or should the dog go?
January 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM

We have a shitzu that is getting really old.  Not sure how old since he was a shelter save but I know it is old lol.

Anyway, I HATE this dog.  With a flaming passion.  Why?  Because he has ruined the house we live in.  I was so happy to move here, the house is great.  But the dog has house training issues that have never been resolved.  DH had the dog before we met and is very attached to it.  I can't stand it.  I have tried many different types of training but he always goes to the same spot at the front door when I am not looking.  If I am in the room with him he will look at me and scratch at the door.  If I am not, he just takes a piss.  

This is the area where he pisses all the time

We rent this place and this portion of the carpet will have to be replaced.  I have done all I can to save it.  

So what do you think?  DH says he won't forgive me if I make him get rid of the dog but at the same time he just pissed on the floor this morning while I was making breakfast for DD.  I can't take it anymore.

Replies

• supercarp
    January 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Quoting LindaClement:

If he's not willing to take care of the dog, what does he think he has it for?

Quoting blues_pagan:

I have tried to absolve myself of responsibility letting him know the HE wants the dog, not me.  Needless to say this causes more issues than it helps.

Quoting LindaClement:

Dhs who do not see to it that the dogs are properly trained and walked often enough to avoid making carpet messes are demonstrating that they cannot be reponsible dog owners.

I would absolve myself of any responsibility in the zone: it's his dog, he is the one who 'needs' the dog to pee where it's supposed to --unless he doesn't REALLY want the dog.

A lot of people prefer the idea of wanting dogs to actually being responsible for them. They should get stuffed or porcelain dogs.

He likes the IDEA of having a dog more than actually owning one. He needs a virtual dog.

• jl89
    by jl89
    January 5, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Crate training. That's how I trained my dog. My brother had her first, for almost a year. It was his first major "responsibility". Well, he got bored so I took the dog. She was well potty trained in just a month or so. Dogs won't go in their "home". So, you get a crate. They won't pee there because they have to sleep there. When the dog goes potty outside you give it "play time" out of the crate. If he doesn't go it's straight back to the crate. I don't use the crate anymore and have actually gotten rid of it, but she only makes messes on the floor if she's sick now. 

One problem you're probably having is that area smells like the dog now. Even if you've steam cleaned it and everything. You can see the stains slightly so there's going to be a smell that your dog associates with the bathroom, even if normal people can't smell anything. You have to keep the dog away from that area except when he's crossing it to go outside. 

• witchybabymomma
    January 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Keep the dog and try buying some training pads. I don't think pets are disposable where would he take the dog if it is that old?? Not many options so keep him and take him out more often. IMO

• DeeDee205
    January 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Wow, never heard that, but then again, I've only had large dogs so I've never needed to look into the smaller dog behaviour.  I had a friend who's CockerX would pee every time she saw me.  Sadly, the darn dog was usually jumping up at my legs, therefore, pee all over my feet.  ICK!  That was really irritating.  lol

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Just FYI Smaller breeds tend to pee on themselves even in the Crate...

We had a Lhasa Apso that hates the crate and would just pee and poo in it then lay down. The Vet told me it was "normal small breed" behavior. We actually gave her to another family because the lady had a few Apso's and felt she could handle ther behavior. :-)

Quoting DeeDee205:

Agree 100%.  Crate training is a great idea.  The crate becomes the dogs "den" and dogs won't usually soil their den.  But you would have to make a committment to get the dog out every 4 hours to relieve himself.  Also, if the dog is old and peeing all the time, perhaps a trip to the vet can determine if there is a bladder problem that can be fixed.  Good luck!  Don't blame the dog.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I would be crate training the dog. There is no way I would leave the dog unattended to roam te house when I wasn't there to nip the behaviors in the bud. If your husband is't onboard for crate training then I say give an ultimatum. Crate training or the dog goes. Dogs aren't really ever too old to learn how to behave. That's a myth.