Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
paganbaby
Why does everyone question my sons name?? Edit
January 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I don't mind that it's questioned, so much as when people won't let it go. I used to explain that Bubba was a nickname but then I would be pestered by people wanting to know his real name and God forbid they find out, they'll call him it. Which drives him up the wall. So I finally just stopped explaining and started saying, Yes this is his real name.

Yesterday at 7-11 they guy behind the counter asked what my son's name was. (we're regulars) I told him Bubba. He paused for a sec and said, "Really?" "Is that his real name?" I looked him dead in the eye and said "Yes it is."

That is the name my son chose. If he wants people to know what his given name is, he'll tell them.

Now I know it's an unusual name. But so is my daughter's Audi. Yet no one goes around demanding to know her real name. So what gives?

Replies

• paganbaby
    January 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM

That's lame :-(

Quoting jean_marie1987:

We have a similar issue. Our son goes by 'B'. People ask his real name, and when I say Billy, they say, "Well, is that short for William?"
    . Nope, just Billy, but he goes by B.
    I have relatives that refuse to call him B, though. :-(

Quoting paganbaby:

He said he hates it :-( *Whispers* It's Kaleb. But the looks don't bother him. He can be pretty oblivious sometimes,lol. It's me who's bugged. Not so much that it's questioned, I know it's almost always a nickname, but that people won't leave it alone. Like they HAVE to know what his "real" name is.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Wow, he really must not like his given name. I will generally call people be whatever they introduce themselves as. If he prefers to be called Bubba, he should probably get use odd looks now and then. 

Quoting paganbaby:

I asked him if I could say and he said NO! It's Bubba! LOL

Quoting rfurlongg:

Since we don't interact with your son, can you tell us his real name ;-)?

• paganbaby
    January 4, 2013 at 12:37 AM

high five

Quoting kaitybird:

This seems to be the world we live in these days.  WE feel the NEED to know anything and everything about everyone.  I grew up knowing a lot of Bubba's.  By the time I usually found out their real names it didn't fit them as well as Bubba did.  :)  I even know a guy by the name of Jimbo, that is a name that isn't so common anymore. 

If your sone likes bubba then bubba it is and if he would like to reveal his real name we will be around!  :)  

• lga1965
    by lga1965
    January 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Kaleb is a great name!  I like it a lot! Maybe when he s older he will like it.

• paganbaby
    January 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM

That's cute!

Yeah I know but honestly in this situation, I feel like my sons preferences should come first, kwim?

Quoting dustinsmom1:

We call my son Bubba too! :) My Dads brother was "Bubba" as well!! :) Tha being said, i know some people are uncomfortable calling children by their parents pet names or nick names.

• paganbaby
    January 4, 2013 at 12:40 AM

He might. But as of right now his plan is to go by Kristofer when he's a grown up. Either way he'll always be Bubba to me :-)

Quoting lga1965:

Kaleb is a great name!  I like it a lot! Maybe when he s older he will like it.

• krys1973
    January 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Just wanted to say that that is a wonderful name... even if he hates it. I have a nephew with that name!  As for Bubba... like the others have said many see that as a nickname that family would only use. But there are some that would jump even farther to think of  "Bubba at the local jail"... I have heard plenty of people in my lifetime that always call the inmates at the jail by that nickname. It is your typical stereotypical idea that makes such a stigma about the nickname Bubba. 

Quoting paganbaby:

He said he hates it :-( *Whispers* It's Kaleb. But the looks don't bother him. He can be pretty oblivious sometimes,lol. It's me who's bugged. Not so much that it's questioned, I know it's almost always a nickname, but that people won't leave it alone. Like they HAVE to know what his "real" name is.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Wow, he really must not like his given name. I will generally call people be whatever they introduce themselves as. If he prefers to be called Bubba, he should probably get use odd looks now and then. 

Quoting paganbaby:

I asked him if I could say and he said NO! It's Bubba! LOL

Quoting rfurlongg:

Since we don't interact with your son, can you tell us his real name ;-)?

• kaylamom2004
    January 4, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Quoting paganbaby:

And it was my son who named himself and his sister, not I.

Then there's your FIRST problem!!! Morons letting kids name babies!!!

You're an idiot,lol.

LMAO Riiiiight. Cuz I let a child name a baby!

• jean_marie1987
    January 4, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Agreed. She says she hates nicknames, but refuses to call me (or even a few of my siblings) by our given names, so IDK... She was really po'd when we named DS Billy and not William ("That's not a real name, you should give that kid a real name.").

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting jean_marie1987:

We have a similar issue. Our son goes by 'B'. People ask his real name, and when I say Billy, they say, "Well, is that short for William?"

• GOBryan
    by GOBryan
    January 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Bubba is a common Redneck or Af-American nickname, so I don't see why anyone would questions it. I would have just assumed it was his nickname. As a birthname, I've never heard it before, however, if you're willing to give him such a name, do expect comments.  

We named our daughter Egypt, so people either hate it or they like it. I don't get in-betweens. My comment is that we like it and that's all that matters. 

• GOBryan
    by GOBryan
    January 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I have a friend who's elderly now, he was a Wall Street attorney.. Anyhow, his name is Jerry.. Not Gerald... and that goes waaayyy back. I could never see him as a Gerald but I did pose the question once and he said his mom just named him Jerry. Plain and simple. 

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Agreed. She says she hates nicknames, but refuses to call me (or even a few of my siblings) by our given names, so IDK... She was really po'd when we named DS Billy and not William ("That's not a real name, you should give that kid a real name.").

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts