Naturewoman4
How much do you pay to keep your house warm? Like to get some ideas on keeping cost down
January 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I haven't opened my bill yet, sort of scared to lol.  Every winter, I always try to see if others have suggestions on what they do to keep their electric/gas bills down.  To share what we have done to help lower our bills.  My winter Electric bill is usually around $100/mo.  (haven't checked my current one).  Sometimes, when I'm not home a lot, vacations etc.  it's lower.  My gas is usually around $75/mo. or so.  My applicances are gas.  So, I don't use my oven.  I don't use my dryer, I hang my clothes outside.  I can get away with it even in Winter. 

I never use my central heat/air.  I use a oil-filled heater & bascially hang out in my bedroom.  (it's kinda small).  The rest of the house is very cold.  We have a fireplace though, that we also use a lot.  Before, winter comes we take our truck & go up to the local Mountains & get our wood.  Then, we also buy a cord of wood.  That usually last 2 Winters.   I have 2 rooms that get a lot sun through the windows, so I use the natural heat from the sun to warm those rooms.  It's my bedroom & a big bonus room.  Even right now, without turning on the portable heater, it's very warm :)  That's how I save on my utilities.  How does everyone else.?

Replies

• survivorinohio
    January 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Ya know the highest gas bill  know of was actually in a little brick ranch 2 br apartment.  350 a mo in Jan! 4 rooms.

Our house is a 3 story with 1600 sq ft or so,if you count the basement which I heat but isnt used much, its not finished.  Our elec is about 125 in winter and gas last mo was 150.  We have kept an exhaust fan running a lot for the smokers here though so I imagine I could bring that  down.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

When I hear these huge gas and electric bills I get a lot less jealous of those with larger houses:) My house is only 1200 sq ft. It's small and I often feel it's too small, but I'm glad to not have $300 electric and gas bills!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

About 2100 square feet of livable space.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Our electric is $300.00 a month and we use about $300.00 every six weeks in gas.

Is your house really big?

• OHgirlinCA
    January 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM

We keep the thermostat at 62 at night and while we're away, and 68 when we're home. 

• lizzielouaf
    January 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

LOL when I first read it I was like wth is a meat solution!!

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I'm just gonna leave this reply and say that what I meant to say is that they need insulation desperately. The spell check on that was just too hilarious to erase!

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

My inlaws live in a house that's probably about 1200 square feet. In my opinion the meat and solution desperately. My mother in law told me her last bill was $458 for gas.

• Naturewoman4
    January 2, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Thanks great, perhaps you live in a warmer part of the Country?  I was thinking about that, living in a much smaller house.  It's just my husband & I.  That would probably bring our utilities down.  Our first place was a small Condo, then a smaller home 1,080 sq. ft.  Now, it's over 1700 sq. ft.  Perhaps, that's the difference.  I admit I love my house, my husband has his 'exercising' room, I have my craft room, then our large living room that has our fireplace.  We use it to just sit around & talk. 

Then, a huge bonus room, we use as a guest room & where we put our big screen.  We have a pretty nice size dining room & kitchen.  I hate it though because our master bedroom is quite small for a master bedroom.  2 bathrooms.  1 has a nice size laundry room.  So, I was thinking I probably can give up the living room or bonus room.  Smaller kitchen, small dining/nook area.  That might bring it down to around 1,200 sq. ft.  Cutting our utilities down.

Quoting The_Doodle:

Honestly we don't really do anything. We keep it at a cool temperature but that's just because I get overheated easily and have problems with hives (which get worse with heat). We live in a 950 square foot apartment with really crappily insulated doors and windows and we pay about 90-120 a month in gas and electric.

• aimhawk
    by aimhawk
    January 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

We are currently staying in a small two bedroom trailer while saving money to buy a house in a few months. There is an electric window unit that heats and cools. Our last month's bill was around $130.

• Naturewoman4
    January 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM

That's seems to me utility bill would be kinda high though?  Right now my house (with just using the sunlight to warm my house) is under 60.  55 or so.  I'm cold, but I stay in the warm room of my house. 

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

We keep the thermostat at 62 at night and while we're away, and 68 when we're home. 

• Naturewoman4
    January 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM

That's pretty good, perhaps because it is a small trailer.  Something, we've also considered.  We use window air. cond. in two of our rooms.  It works GREAT!  We can keep it as cool as we want & our bill is usually not over $50 in the summer.  That problem is solved.  We're going to put another one this summer, the biggest they make & put in the living room.

Quoting aimhawk:

We are currently staying in a small two bedroom trailer while saving money to buy a house in a few months. There is an electric window unit that heats and cools. Our last month's bill was around $130.

• OHgirlinCA
    January 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM

In a "bad" month my bill usually doesn't exceed $150.00 for both gas and electric. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

That's seems to me utility bill would be kinda high though?  Right now my house (with just using the sunlight to warm my house) is under 60.  55 or so.  I'm cold, but I stay in the warm room of my house. 

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

• The_Doodle
    January 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I live in KY right now. Now when I lived in SC, that's when the bills were outrageous. 200-400 a month for just electric :/ And that was with a house that wasn't much bigger than our apartment now.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Thanks great, perhaps you live in a warmer part of the Country?  I was thinking about that, living in a much smaller house.  It's just my husband & I.  That would probably bring our utilities down.  Our first place was a small Condo, then a smaller home 1,080 sq. ft.  Now, it's over 1700 sq. ft.  Perhaps, that's the difference.  I admit I love my house, my husband has his 'exercising' room, I have my craft room, then our large living room that has our fireplace.  We use it to just sit around & talk. 

Then, a huge bonus room, we use as a guest room & where we put our big screen.  We have a pretty nice size dining room & kitchen.  I hate it though because our master bedroom is quite small for a master bedroom.  2 bathrooms.  1 has a nice size laundry room.  So, I was thinking I probably can give up the living room or bonus room.  Smaller kitchen, small dining/nook area.  That might bring it down to around 1,200 sq. ft.  Cutting our utilities down.

Quoting The_Doodle:

Honestly we don't really do anything. We keep it at a cool temperature but that's just because I get overheated easily and have problems with hives (which get worse with heat). We live in a 950 square foot apartment with really crappily insulated doors and windows and we pay about 90-120 a month in gas and electric.

• Naturewoman4
    January 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM

That seems a lot for a small brick apt.  Just for gas?  4 rooms.  I always wondered if the brick houses kept the house warmer in winter & cooler in summer.  Sounds like you live in a cooler part of the Country? 

Since, you house is about the same sq. ft. as mine (mine is just over 1700), but yours has 3 stories.  I wonder if by having 2 or 3 stories, wouldn't the cost be more?  They say though heat raises.  So, if you keep your home fairly comfortable in Winter, that's not bad for what you pay.  I'm thinking that some States, like CA are more expensive than other States on their charges.  Gas for sure is more here, then other States.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Ya know the highest gas bill  know of was actually in a little brick ranch 2 br apartment.  350 a mo in Jan! 4 rooms.

Our house is a 3 story with 1600 sq ft or so,if you count the basement which I heat but isnt used much, its not finished.  Our elec is about 125 in winter and gas last mo was 150.  We have kept an exhaust fan running a lot for the smokers here though so I imagine I could bring that  down.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

When I hear these huge gas and electric bills I get a lot less jealous of those with larger houses:) My house is only 1200 sq ft. It's small and I often feel it's too small, but I'm glad to not have $300 electric and gas bills!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

About 2100 square feet of livable space.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Our electric is $300.00 a month and we use about $300.00 every six weeks in gas.

Is your house really big?