Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Naturewoman4
How much do you pay to keep your house warm? Like to get some ideas on keeping cost down
January 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I haven't opened my bill yet, sort of scared to lol.  Every winter, I always try to see if others have suggestions on what they do to keep their electric/gas bills down.  To share what we have done to help lower our bills.  My winter Electric bill is usually around $100/mo.  (haven't checked my current one).  Sometimes, when I'm not home a lot, vacations etc.  it's lower.  My gas is usually around $75/mo. or so.  My applicances are gas.  So, I don't use my oven.  I don't use my dryer, I hang my clothes outside.  I can get away with it even in Winter. 

I never use my central heat/air.  I use a oil-filled heater & bascially hang out in my bedroom.  (it's kinda small).  The rest of the house is very cold.  We have a fireplace though, that we also use a lot.  Before, winter comes we take our truck & go up to the local Mountains & get our wood.  Then, we also buy a cord of wood.  That usually last 2 Winters.   I have 2 rooms that get a lot sun through the windows, so I use the natural heat from the sun to warm those rooms.  It's my bedroom & a big bonus room.  Even right now, without turning on the portable heater, it's very warm :)  That's how I save on my utilities.  How does everyone else.?

Replies

• 1REALQT
    by 1REALQT
    January 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    This.
    Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

We have central heat and air with gas heat. We do our best keep our thermostat down to between 70 degrees and 72 degrees. Our house is approximately 2000 square feet, and it cost us about between 125- 150 dollars a month to heat the house. We also use our fire place a lot.

• shadowspirit07
    January 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Use a crockpot/slow cooker for making meals, you can make a lot more things than just soups in them - I've made cakes before. It just uses electricity and you can set a timer. If you have a fireplace, you could cook over the fire (we do that when the power goes out). We turn down the heat at night and use wood mostly, though the gas oven does provide heat if I'm cooking

• UpSheRises
    January 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM

We don't worry too much about heating costs. We have natural gas, which isn't that expensive anyways. Plus, 5 days a week we gone at work so we don't have the heat on. We keep it at 60 at night and 68 on the weekends. I don't know how much our bill is but i know it's not that much otherwise DH would complain about it.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts