Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Naturewoman4
How much do you pay to keep your house warm? Like to get some ideas on keeping cost down
January 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I haven't opened my bill yet, sort of scared to lol.  Every winter, I always try to see if others have suggestions on what they do to keep their electric/gas bills down.  To share what we have done to help lower our bills.  My winter Electric bill is usually around $100/mo.  (haven't checked my current one).  Sometimes, when I'm not home a lot, vacations etc.  it's lower.  My gas is usually around $75/mo. or so.  My applicances are gas.  So, I don't use my oven.  I don't use my dryer, I hang my clothes outside.  I can get away with it even in Winter. 

I never use my central heat/air.  I use a oil-filled heater & bascially hang out in my bedroom.  (it's kinda small).  The rest of the house is very cold.  We have a fireplace though, that we also use a lot.  Before, winter comes we take our truck & go up to the local Mountains & get our wood.  Then, we also buy a cord of wood.  That usually last 2 Winters.   I have 2 rooms that get a lot sun through the windows, so I use the natural heat from the sun to warm those rooms.  It's my bedroom & a big bonus room.  Even right now, without turning on the portable heater, it's very warm :)  That's how I save on my utilities.  How does everyone else.?

Replies

• The_Doodle
    January 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Honestly we don't really do anything. We keep it at a cool temperature but that's just because I get overheated easily and have problems with hives (which get worse with heat). We live in a 950 square foot apartment with really crappily insulated doors and windows and we pay about 90-120 a month in gas and electric.

• TruthSeeker.
    January 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Our heat is gas, so our gas bill is higher in the winter and our electric lower.

I don't really think I could do much to save. We have to use our heat in the winter and we don't have a fire place.

• candlegal
    January 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

We keep ours at 65 at night and 68 during the day.   We are all used to it and it saves us money

• mommy5912
    January 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

we use the woodstove...lol it helps to cut down our oil and electric bill

• Lizard_Lina
    January 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    We put plastic on all the Windows, it makes a huge difference. We also put a blanket over the attic door and the crawl space door. Also when we use the oven we leave it cracked when were done which heats that whole kitchen area nicely. Unplug anything we don't use regularly like the toaster oven or stereo.
  • ChancesMommy07
    January 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM

We keep our house fairly cool, usually around 68. My husband and son are both hot natured and complain when it gets to warm. So I have gotten used to wearing layers. We have a pellet stove that we use in the event of the power going off but usually we just run the central heat/air. We replaced all of our windows a few years ago and had blown in insulation added to the walls. Other than that we don't really worry to much about the heating bill.

• Dzyre1115
    January 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Our electric is $300.00 a month and we use about $300.00 every six weeks in gas.

• lizmarie1975
    January 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Our house is heated by oil. I keep the first floor set to 60 during the day. It's at 70 during the late afternoon/early evening hours when the kids are home.

The top floor is set to 65 but always feels colder than the first floor. I usually bump it up to 68 or 69 when the little boys are napping.

• TruthSeeker.
    January 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Our electric is $300.00 a month and we use about $300.00 every six weeks in gas.

Is your house really big?

• Veni.Vidi.Vici.
    January 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    We have central heat and air with gas heat. We do our best keep our thermostat down to between 70 degrees and 72 degrees. Our house is approximately 2000 square feet, and it cost us about between 125- 150 dollars a month to heat the house. We also use our fire place a lot.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts