Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
cjsbmom
Netflix to share viewers' histories......Congress approved
by cjsbmom
December 29, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I just came across this and am looking for more information, because this is news to me. I should think Netflix would have to tell its customers. While I don't give two figs if people know what I watch, I think this is crossing a line, and it may just be the line that ends my affiliation with Netflix....

File photo of a Netflix envelope in front of a television (© Charles Krupa/AP)

Netflix can now tell everyone about the cheesy movies you watch

8 hrs ago

Be careful what you watch on Netflix because the video streaming service has received the OK from Congress to share your viewing habits. Laws previously required users or renters to give an OK each time a provider wanted to share the information, but the new change in the law will allow Netflix to share what you've seen after only asking you once - and they won't have to ask again for two years. So while your queue might be full of high-brow documentaries and the like, if you aren't careful everyone will soon know you really watch "The Vampire Diaries" over and over. [Source]

Click to see more on msnNOW.com, updated 24 hours a day.

Replies

• jakesmom323
    December 29, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    Oh no, they will find out I watched straight to DVD movies, flops, and cartoons!!! Eeeks! The shame...;)
  • cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    December 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Quoting jakesmom323:

Oh no, they will find out I watched straight to DVD movies, flops, and cartoons!!! Eeeks! The shame...;)

I think this goes beyond them sharing it with Facebook. The language says they can share it with *anyone* and I'm assuming that means the government as well. Is this the government's way of spying on its citizens (and what they watch) without obtaining a warrant to do so? Makes me wonder.

Like you, I watch boring stuff and my kid mostly watches cartoons on there. But still....it's no one's business. Netflix isn't a free service, so they can't say that it comes with the territory of using a free service.

• Bookwormy
    December 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    This is an invasion. Glad I don't have Netflix!
  • cupomeow
    December 29, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Crap, now people will know that I marathoned Scrubs for days.

• katy_kay08
    December 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM

If one doesn't want to share what they are watching with their FB friends a simple "no" prevents this from posting to their feed.  

• cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    December 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I'm not so sure. The more I read, the more I'm thinking that unless you find the opt out form (if there is such a thing), on your own, they'll just do it. And once they start doing it, they legally can do it for two years without you being able to stop them.

Like I said above. I think this goes beyond Netflix. Congress approved it, so that tells me our government wants access to what we view, much like they wanted access to the books we read.

Quoting katy_kay08:

If one doesn't want to share what they are watching with their FB friends a simple "no" prevents this from posting to their feed.  

• Woodbabe
    December 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM

This is why I kind of shun the digital age...Yes I have netflix but I share my account with my daughter in College in Colorado and my son, the Marine in California. You never know WHAT is going to pop up in our history! LOL

Keeps me from watching anything TOO smarmy, anyway!

*hides naughty stuff in basement for personal enjoyment*

• ReginaStar
    December 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I have netflix and I'm not concerned. 

• katy_kay08
    December 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Your own link clearly states they must ask you at least once and everyone should be reading the information they are clicking on before giving blanket approval to anyone.  

One could also avoid linking their netflix account with their facebook account.

Quoting cjsbmom:

I'm not so sure. The more I read, the more I'm thinking that unless you find the opt out form (if there is such a thing), on your own, they'll just do it. And once they start doing it, they legally can do it for two years without you being able to stop them.

Like I said above. I think this goes beyond Netflix. Congress approved it, so that tells me our government wants access to what we view, much like they wanted access to the books we read.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN