Current Events & Hot Topics

Featured Posts
Goodwoman614
Factors in deciding whether or not to own a handgun
December 3, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Hello everybody,

A friend of mine has the hobby of collecting & shooting guns, all kinds. My dd12 & I have been to the range where they are a member to target shoot several of their handguns.

This person has recently offered to gift me a handgun, "for protection."

While I am not opposed to the right of law abiding citizens to own guns, this is N O T a post intended to debate that.

What I am interested in learning is how people came to make the decision to own a personal firearm for protection, or how they came to the decision not to.

This is directed only to those persons who have given the matter serious consideration, no matter what decision was ultimately made.

Thank you!

Replies

• TruthSeeker.
    December 3, 2012 at 9:10 PM

For many years growing up I was afraid of guns and had never been around them. When I was 19, I joined the military and learned how to shoot and how to take my weapon apart and put it back together again. I was not only good at it, I found it to be enjoyable to see how closely I could land all of my rounds.

A close member of my family had a stranger break into her home and rape her while her 5 yr old daughter was sleeping in the next room.  This is my greatest fear. That someone will try to harm me or my children when my husband is away. I am aware that the odds are very low, but I know from personal experience that it does happen and I don't want to be a statistic.

I've armed myself with not only a weapon, but the knowledge needed to use it effectively.  I hope that I Never have to use it, but am very thankful that I live in a country that I am afforded the right to own a gun and protect myself and my children if need be.

• Goodwoman614
    December 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

For many years growing up I was afraid of guns and had never been around them. When I was 19, I joined the military and learned how to shoot and how to take my weapon apart and put it back together again. I was not only good at it, I found it to be enjoyable to see how closely I could land all of my rounds.

A close member of my family had a stranger break into her home and rape her while her 5 yr old daughter was sleeping in the next room.  This is my greatest fear. That someone will try to harm me or my children when my husband is away. I am aware that the odds are very low, but I know from personal experience that it does happen and I don't want to be a statistic.

I've armed myself with not only a weapon, but the knowledge needed to use it effectively.  I hope that I Never have to use it, but am very thankful that I live in a country that I am afforded the right to own a gun and protect myself and my children if need be.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

• FromAtoZ
    December 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM

My ex husband owns over $5000 worth of weapons.  His father, close to a million dollars worth.  He collects and is a gun smith for movies and such.  

Outside of my ex husband, I was raised to respect weapons and learned early on how to properly handle a weapon.

So, when my ex had a gun that was geared for protection, we all learned how to use it, clean it, take it down and load it up.  It was important to do so.  I never batted an eye on having the weapon in the house.

Since it has been just myself and my youngest daughter for the past two years, the decision was easy.  Granted, it stemmed from being around weapons and understanding the importance of education and respect for the weapon.

If you are comfortable with the weapon it will not scare you.  

If one wants a weapons for protection but is not in the frame of mind to ensure every one in the house is educated on the weapon, that is not wise, in my opinion.  Granted, I am not talking about toddlers, young children.

• Sisteract
    December 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I do not own a weapon. I have thought long and hard about this one- I would have a very difficult time shooting and killing another human being. My kids are grown, and when they were at home we did the following:

Lived in a safe neighborhood.

Avoided known dangerous places.

Installed and utilized a home alarm system- activated every night.

Doors locked at all times.

Owned 3 dogs.

Perhaps we have been lucky, but none of has been a victim of a violent crime.

I would not shoot someone over stealing an item from my home or car...or playing loud music...or giving me the finger...or walking down the street.

• kailu1835
    December 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Here's my decision making process.  In quick succession... a strange man acted like he was going to try and take my infant away from me on a ferry... a truck with two men I did not know sat outside my home in the middle of the day for 5 minutes before leaving, and then returned at midnight, leaving right away. 

• kailu1835
    December 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I hear you.  I would rather hand over my possessions before shooting someone.  But if that someone was trying to hurt me or my children, I absolutely would shoot to kill.

Quoting Sisteract:

I do not own a weapon. I have thought long and hard about this one- I would have a very difficult time shooting and killing another human being. My kids are grown, and when they were at home we did the following:

Owned 3 dogs.

I would not shoot someone over stealing an item from my home or car...or playing loud music...or giving me the finger...or walking down the street.

• LindaClement
    December 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I have no use for a gun, of any size.

• LindaClement
    December 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM

How certain would you have to be, to fire?

A weapon you're not prepared to use (or not trained to use) is your enemy's weapon.

Quoting kailu1835:

I hear you.  I would rather hand over my possessions before shooting someone.  But if that someone was trying to hurt me or my children, I absolutely would shoot to kill.

Quoting Sisteract:

Owned 3 dogs.

• Goodwoman614
    December 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Quoting LindaClement:

A weapon you're not prepared to use (or not trained to use) is your enemy's weapon.

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Sisteract:

Owned 3 dogs.

Excuse me. Debating wasn't my intention for the post. Please reread the request I made in the OP.

• LindaClement
    December 4, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I wasn't debating, I just wondering.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Sisteract:

Owned 3 dogs.

Excuse me. Debating wasn't my intention for the post. Please reread the request I made in the OP.

Current Events & Hot Topics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN